Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After sleeping on it last night I've come to realize Tesla threw the towing crowd under the bus. They must have figured it wasn't profitable enough to build the truck with all the batteries needed for towing, so they didn't. The range extender is just a half-baked attempt to make it seem like they care about towing.

I mean, yes. They made an Instagram car, not a truck that too many truck owners will want.

Reactions: jebinc
I was looking for more range. Roadster would be rated for 600+ miles but start at a quarter of a million dollars.

Instead, I reserved the Cybertruck because, for $69,900.00, it would have a range of 500 miles. It's a step down from Roadster but a good compromise.

The 620+ mile range Roadster doesn't exist. Neither does the 500+ mile range Cybertruck.

Should tell you all you need to know about Tesla's in-house battery production.

The 620+ mile range Roadster doesn't exist.
Come on now, let's not be nasty. The 620 mile Roadster just needs a hitch and a "range extender". Voila!

PackTrailer.png

good luck with making HV connections to a *hot* HV battery. shops require technicians to be certified to do that including gloves/ protective helmet ... this isn't a mag safe iphone battery you snap on. Liablity reasons alone won't let you allow to do this.
have you ever heard of a SuperCharger? 250 KW plug and anyone can and does do it. CCS allegedly does 350+ KW at 800V.

can we stop with this ? it will be hundreds of lbs and needs service center removal/install .... it's not a magsafe anker battery pack for an iphone

you will get it installed and keep it there for the foreseeable future unless you want to make and pay for SC visits....
Are you saying I couldn't load cruizer bike onto my truck? Good thing I didn't know that back when I used to somewhat regularly.
The hater crowd is just plain getting silly.

have you ever heard of a SuperCharger? 250 KW plug and anyone can and does do it. CCS allegedly does 350+ KW at 800V.
I agree with this point - the module will obviously have its own set of contactors, comms pins, etc.

That said I'm skeptical that many people will have the ability to add/remove this thing at will. It's gonna weigh at least 600 pounds.

A curiosity - is there any evidence of a mounting mechanism, bus bar connection, or anything of the sort on the trucks that were delivered yesterday? It doesn't look like it.

Per Tesla is will have to installed at the service center and then be fairly permanent.

Even if it were on casters with a ramp and winch you would still have to lift it at some point to situate it in place.
I never lifted a motorcycle. That's what wheels are for.
All of these arguments are lame. I'm looking for a real showstopper folks, otherwise, I'll be very disappointed that, perhaps there is a fundamental limitation on BEV pickup trucks that can haul or carry large loads. Clearly, Ford and Rivian have shown that body-on-frame can't handle it.
I'm still remaining positive that Franz may have it figured out. If no range extender comes out in about a year, I'll give up and assume a PHEV is the only heavy-duty pickup option.

Range extender option to meet an early demise just like battery exchanges at Harris Ranch.
Battery swap at Harris Ranch worked fine. It just wasn't economically preferable to fast charging.

I agree with this point - the module will obviously have its own set of contactors, comms pins, etc.

That said I'm skeptical that many people will have the ability to add/remove this thing at will. It's gonna weigh at least 600 pounds.

A curiosity - is there any evidence of a mounting mechanism, bus bar connection, or anything of the sort on the trucks that were delivered yesterday? It doesn't look like it.
No, probably just a paper cover story to make up for a botched launch.

otherwise, I'll be very disappointed that, perhaps there is a fundamental limitation on BEV pickup trucks that can haul or carry large loads.
I think right now there very clearly is. Electrochemical storage density is not anywhere near where it needs to be to enable heavy duty BEV towing in a pickup truck form factor. Severely missing the impossible range and towing figures published 4 years ago would seem to confirm that.

the module will obviously have its own set of contactors, comms pins, etc.
Yeah. I wonder how it will be temperature controlled? Will they not bother and only pull from it at limited rates? But then how would one warm it up for charging? [EDIT: I guess charging is the main concern (needs to be above freezing). You can pull a decent amount of power from a cold pack, but it seems tricky still which was my main point.]

Seems like a very complicated addition and inefficient compared to bigger pack (which is perhaps impossible without two layers at this point?).

Seems like vaporware…and the plan is not for another year (end 2024) in any case, according to a screen shot I saw (no idea the exact source, so not sure it was legit). So plenty of time for it to remain vaporware if they can keep building out charging networks.

I don’t think most of the people purchasing CTs in the meantime will care at all.

Last edited:
Yeah. I wonder how it will be temperature controlled? Will they not bother and only pull from it at limited rates? But then how would one warm it up for charging?
Good point that I hadn't considered - it really does seem to need a coolant loop to function properly.

Yet another reason why this is not a click-n-play accessory to install/uninstall at will.

I agree - I doubt anything to do with this product actually exists right now beyond the one rendering on the site.