Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a lot of people use older Trucks to tow all kinds of Trailers. What kind of towing range losses could you expect with a 6 to 7 year old Cybertruck?
Ask everyone in 6-7yrs. We’ll be here to report it.

Aero is the main issue while towing with an EV. Tow a boxy travel trailer and you’ll be 1mi(or less) per 1kWh. Tow a model 3 on a light trailer with proper tongue weight and the trailer not causing too much drag with a dove tail and you’ll end up well above 1.2mi/kWh.

Quite curious how / why anyone thinks that a truck (CT/Rivian) which weigh as much as a ram 2500, won’t be capable enough to tow. Most of the issues with stability while towing is because y’all don’t have proper tongue weight. Grab a weighsafe hitch and enjoy taking the guess work out.

Last edited:
Ask everyone in 6-7yrs. We’ll be here to report it.

Aero is the main issue while towing with an EV. Tow a boxy travel trailer and you’ll be 1mi(or less) per 1kWh. Tow a model 3 on a light trailer with proper tongue weight and the trailer not causing too much drag with a dove tail and you’ll end up well above 1.2mi/kWh.

Quite curious how / why anyone thinks that a truck (CT/Rivian) which weigh as much as a ram 2500, won’t be capable enough to tow. Most of the issues with stability while towing is because y’all don’t have proper tongue weight. Grab a weighsafe hitch and enjoy taking the guess work out.

Perfect description.

I've suffered from mis-distributed weight before and its dangerous. I've had to switch vehicles around in my 38 ft trailer so many times when I wasn't there to load it. A whole hour wasted.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
It matters not what we call them in my opinion.

If we are talking about capacity. Then let's talk about that to compare EV's.
If we are talking about capability. Then let's talk about that to compare EV's.

I have only presented 1 number - for ALL EV's.

What Is Towing Capacity?

Your vehicle’s towing capacity is the maximum amount of weight it can safely pull

Oh well.
YOU keep presenting one number that no one else is concerned with. YOU keeping pushing the towing capacity number. The discussion is whether the CT will make good towing vehicle. NOT whether or not it has the highest towing capacity. As you said, that’s a number. There is no discussion needed. If all you are concerned about is numbers, then enjoy the number 1 on paper. Other people want to discuss if it will actually be a good towing vehicle. A discussion that will be theoretical for a little while but that is what is fun about discussions, we don’t need all the data to have them. We can predict and guess and all sorts of things and we can have fun while doing it.

And the only reason this “gets personal” when you post data is because you make it personal by telling anyone and everyone that CT is number 1 in towing capacity regardless of what their point is. They say they don’t care, then you say it doesn’t matter because CT is number 1. Thats you making it personal when it doesn’t need to be. This thread is about how the cybertruck didn’t have the 500 mile range it was supposed to have. And it has gone on to be what the range will be with towing and things related to range and you keep butting in with “it doesn’t matter about range, it has the highest EV towing capacity.” If you want to keep defending towing capacity, please go to a thread that is about towing capacity. Capacity has nothing to do with range. It is about suspension capacity and strength of the hitch.

YOU keep presenting one number that no one else is concerned with. YOU keeping pushing the towing capacity number. The discussion is whether the CT will make good towing vehicle. NOT whether or not it has the highest towing capacity. As you said, that’s a number. There is no discussion needed. If all you are concerned about is numbers, then enjoy the number 1 on paper. Other people want to discuss if it will actually be a good towing vehicle. A discussion that will be theoretical for a little while but that is what is fun about discussions, we don’t need all the data to have them. We can predict and guess and all sorts of things and we can have fun while doing it.

And the only reason this “gets personal” when you post data is because you make it personal by telling anyone and everyone that CT is number 1 in towing capacity regardless of what their point is. They say they don’t care, then you say it doesn’t matter because CT is number 1. Thats you making it personal when it doesn’t need to be. This thread is about how the cybertruck didn’t have the 500 mile range it was supposed to have. And it has gone on to be what the range will be with towing and things related to range and you keep butting in with “it doesn’t matter about range, it has the highest EV towing capacity.” If you want to keep defending towing capacity, please go to a thread that is about towing capacity. Capacity has nothing to do with range. It is about suspension capacity and strength of the hitch.

?/?

I thought everyone beat the subject of 500 miles of range to death long ago, however I guess it's still going. But, as you say, the subject is now suspension capacity and strength of the hitch. I missed that subject change.

?/?

I thought everyone beat the subject of 500 miles of range to death long ago, however I guess it's still going. But, as you say, the subject is now suspension capacity and strength of the hitch. I missed that subject change.
That’s not what the discussion is about. I was pointing out that while everyone else is discussing whether or not the CT is a good towing vehicle, you want to discuss towing capacity which is a function of suspension capability and hitch (Simplified yes but it’s just calculation, there’s nothing subjective about it). Anybody can weld and bolt thing together that are strong enough to tow 11k pounds but that doesn’t mean it’s a good towing vehicle.

That’s not what the discussion is about. I was pointing out that while everyone else is discussing whether or not the CT is a good towing vehicle, you want to discuss towing capacity which is a function of suspension capability and hitch (Simplified yes but it’s just calculation, there’s nothing subjective about it). Anybody can weld and bolt thing together that are strong enough to tow 11k pounds but that doesn’t mean it’s a good towing vehicle.

Ok. No problem.

I just thought that we don't have real world towing information...so let's go with what we know until then.

I do know (I've been told over and over) that in everything I'm positive first until proven otherwise. but that's just how I am. If you follow all of my posts everywhere - i am "glass half full" which makes it appear as "Like Tesla".. My apologies. <--serious when I say that.

Last edited:
Reactions: STUtoday
The EPA will say it’s a 500 mile range only to find out in real life driving it will only deliver 350 😲😳😂🤣

The EPA will say it’s a 500 mile

Since a lot of people use older Trucks to tow all kinds of Trailers. What kind of towing range losses could you expect with a 6 to 7 year old Cybertruck?
Great question…

let’s see.. 10% of the top and bottom, so we are down to 264, then 50% hit for towing = a total of 132 miles of range. 66 miles each way. And that is if it’s not Cold outside, or windy or your pulling up a grade.

in other words… for get about it.

Off topic example : brand new MYLR picked last week, 57 miles on it, charged up 77% and only got 120 miles , temp was 35 degrees and speeds under 70 mph. I charged up 3x to go from central NJ to Boston. I was expecting to at least get 200 miles. In the summer one of my MYLR gave me 260 from 90% charge. EPA range standard for EV is not possible even if you’re driving like a grandma.

Off topic example : brand new MYLR picked last week, 57 miles on it, charged up 77% and only got 120 miles , temp was 35 degrees and speeds under 70 mph. I charged up 3x to go from central NJ to Boston. I was expecting to at least get 200 miles. In the summer one of my MYLR gave me 260 from 90% charge. EPA range standard for EV is not possible even if you’re driving like a grandma.
Sad but true 😬😩

That’s what people Just don’t seem to understand

Since all of the towing talk has calmed down....

Is this scenario a failure of 1."Capacity" or 2."Capability" OR 3."what does it matter"?

3 for me.

At least his range went up a bit. <--see my "glass half full perspective here"? LOL

cap.jpg

Yeah, on my MSP, my 125 mile round trip commute + 10 hours of sentry uses up about 60% charge. Which itself is barely better than what I was getting on my M3P. Far cry from the claimed 348 / 396 mile range. In the summer I might be able to stretch 100% to 300 miles if I drive like a grandma... but who would want to drive a Plaid like a granmda lol

Reactions: TessP100D and Evee