Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 month old Tesla model 3 losses 7 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it’s been 6 months since I’ve bought my Tesla mode 3 and a couple days ago I charged my car to max and noticed a full charge at 303 miles. My Tesla is the awd long range and is rated for 310 miles. It’s already depreciated 7 miles in 6 months. Could there be a problem. I’ve never charged it fully, but instead leave it at around 80% everyday. Is there something I should do? Please let me know.

charging 80% every day will make the battery reading inaccurate. You can recalibrate it by repeating the charge cycle from 100% - 10% 3 times. If you really care about the range reading you can do it once a month...

Reactions: Grendal
So it’s been 6 months since I’ve bought my Tesla mode 3 and a couple days ago I charged my car to max and noticed a full charge at 303 miles. My Tesla is the awd long range and is rated for 310 miles. It’s already depreciated 7 miles in 6 months. Could there be a problem. I’ve never charged it fully, but instead leave it at around 80% everyday. Is there something I should do? Please let me know.
There has been plenty written on this subject. Recommend doing a bit of research on it.

Give the battery a full cycle and you will see it’s a calibration issue.

Is there any reason for me to recalibrate. I charge to 80% every day and only drive around 50 miles per day average.

Attachments

• C0D470C1-3D0A-4649-9D82-D2D01923B661.png
    C0D470C1-3D0A-4649-9D82-D2D01923B661.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 165
Is there any reason for me to recalibrate. I charge to 80% every day and only drive around 50 miles per day average.

It's not recalibration that's really the issue, it's letting the batteries equalize. Every few months, let it charge to 100% (not on supercharger) Hopefully you'd be doing this for road trips, if not, you need to get out more often.

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC and hcdavis3
There has been plenty written on this subject. Recommend doing a bit of research on it.

Give the battery a full cycle and you will see it’s a calibration issue.

We took a long trip this weekend and I charged to 100% before leaving - range indicator said 304 miles. I forgot to change the carge limit when I got back so the car charged to 10% again. This time it said 311 miles. My battery definitely didn't gain capacity, so here's one more data point that it's just the software recalibrating.

Reactions: Grendal
Mine did the same thing after 2019.16.2 from 310 to 302 @ 100% SOC and i had the SC run a CAC test and everything showed normal. currently charging to 304 @ 100% SOC. i am trying to calibrate now.

Last edited:
Our dual motor car shows 298 - 302 fully charged at 10 months old with 34,000 miles. We've only fully charged it a handful of times and I'm really not worried about it. 3-4% drop from new is to be expected. I don't even know what the full charge was when new because I didn't fully charge it for the first time until it had over 10,000 miles on it.

Drive more, worry less. I keep the display on % and drive the wheels off of it. :)

Like some of you, I'm also charging my LR AWD (310 claimed max miles) up to 90% every night. Because I haven't charged it to 100% yet, I don't know what the estimated miles would show. I have couple of questions.

1. Is it really necessary to charge up to 100% and drain to 10%, then repeat 3 times? Or is it only necessary for calibrating? If yes, when do you normally need calibrating?
2. Is it completely OK to charge every night? I only charge at home up to 90% every night from 12:00am, and I usually drive around 60-70 miles per day. I just want to know what is the best practice to preserve the battery health.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Like some of you, I'm also charging my LR AWD (310 claimed max miles) up to 90% every night. Because I haven't charged it to 100% yet, I don't know what the estimated miles would show. I have couple of questions.

1. Is it really necessary to charge up to 100% and drain to 10%, then repeat 3 times? Or is it only necessary for calibrating? If yes, when do you normally need calibrating?
2. Is it completely OK to charge every night? I only charge at home up to 90% every night from 12:00am, and I usually drive around 60-70 miles per day. I just want to know what is the best practice to preserve the battery health.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Allow me to be controversial in my opinion. :)

1. Tesla has never put out a statement about how to re-calibrate the BMS
2. People have gotten various statements from Tesla employees at SC's about all kinds of things that they didn't actually have the legitimate knowledge to back up their statements.
3. Various people have put out different procedures for re-calibration but they don't ALWAYS work with everyone, so how the BMS actually re-calibrates is still up in the air.

I, personally, have not had any "degradation" on my car (LR RWD) I have always gotten 217/218 at 70% SOC, 310 at 100% SOC(the few times I actually went to 100%. And after the range update for my car, I get 226/227 at 70% and 323 at 100%. Some would argue that I have "lost" 2 miles because I am not getting the 325 but I don't see it that way.

Anyway, feel free to do all kinds of charging strategies to try to re-calibrate but know that it may or may not work, and I also believe that for most people the "loss" they are seeing, isn't even an actual loss.

How do you know you've "lost" 7 miles if this is is the 1st time you've ever charged to 100%? What if you had charged to 100% the first day you got the car and it read 302?

Reactions: Arpe
Allow me to be controversial in my opinion. :)

1. Tesla has never put out a statement about how to re-calibrate the BMS
2. People have gotten various statements from Tesla employees at SC's about all kinds of things that they didn't actually have the legitimate knowledge to back up their statements.
3. Various people have put out different procedures for re-calibration but they don't ALWAYS work with everyone, so how the BMS actually re-calibrates is still up in the air.

I, personally, have not had any "degradation" on my car (LR RWD) I have always gotten 217/218 at 70% SOC, 310 at 100% SOC(the few times I actually went to 100%. And after the range update for my car, I get 226/227 at 70% and 323 at 100%. Some would argue that I have "lost" 2 miles because I am not getting the 325 but I don't see it that way.

Anyway, feel free to do all kinds of charging strategies to try to re-calibrate but know that it may or may not work, and I also believe that for most people the "loss" they are seeing, isn't even an actual loss.

Anything but controversial in my opinion. I haven't done any battery tricks or recalibration and had less than 3% degradation on both cars with over 45k on one and another pushing 80k. I charge to 100% for road trips, and use superchargers for them(not to 100% on those). Charge to 90% each and every day. I don't think about my battery. It takes care of itself. That is one of the reasons I bought a Tesla. I don't want to think about adding to my car. I just plug it in and walk away.

Side note. If Tesla tells me differently by updating the manual I will follow those new directions. Must be in a service bulletin and a SC employee shows it to me. If not I don't buy it. SC employees are not Tesla battery engineers. If there is going to be a change to the way we are told to charge our cars. It will be done in mass or via an update.