Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 > 75 Upgrade now $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they discount the 48A->72A high amp charger like they did for the 60->75 battery, I'm definitely buying that.
So if they discount it 80% of original cost, then it's what ~$300USD? I'm sold, enable the option already!

Unlikely since in most cases it requires a trip to the Service Center to replace your 48A charger with a 72A charger. (There are some cars that have a 72A charger that is software limited, but my understanding is most are not.)

We have purchase offers ~2x per year where investors offer to buy shares from employees. I exercised and sold some stock options.

Cool - I was guessing you were an employee. That's awesome (both that you have shares and that you work for SpaceX)! I'd love to be able to pick up some shares but it seems like they aren't really available for regular investors.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I purchased the upgrade and got the confirmation email and I went out to my car (3 minutes of time from entering payment info and within 30 seconds of email confirming upgrade) and the car was OFF, unresponsive and did not respond for 1 minute. When it finally showed the Tesla T on the IC, I was relieved. 10 seconds later the MCU was showing the T and the IC revealed a S75 (I have a D). A reboot later and it says 75D and is allowing me to charge it to full 75 capacity. That was fast.

I purchased the upgrade and got the confirmation email and I went out to my car (3 minutes of time from entering payment info and within 30 seconds of email confirming upgrade) and the car was OFF, unresponsive and did not respond for 1 minute. When it finally showed the Tesla T on the IC, I was relieved. 10 seconds later the MCU was showing the T and the IC revealed a S75 (I have a D). A reboot later and it says 75D and is allowing me to charge it to full 75 capacity. That was fast.

Upgraded to the 75D as soon as I heard about the price drop. Checked on car maybe 15 mins later and saw the update message and 75D. Beautiful! Taking her in to the Service Center on Wednesday for a quick badge swap.

Reactions: vrykolas and croman
So folks, please help me out here. I am scheduled to pick up my 60D (glass roof, SAS, PUP, etc., etc.) this Friday. It is a 24 month lease.

Under the circumstances, it would be crazy for me to pick it up as is. (This thread says that the difference between a 60D glass roof and 75D glass roof is $500). I hate to cancel, lose $2,500 and re-order since I really want the SAS anyway.

So, if Teasla will do it (call already in to my salesperson), the best option is to upgrade to 75 pre-delivery ($2,000?) and ask them to build it into the original price where I don't pay the residual portion of the $2,000. The original lease has been ready, waiting for me to sign since last Friday. Will they do this? Am I missing something? Is there a better option?

Wait a minute folks. I see a new 75 is now listed as 69,500k, that is just $500 more than the price of the 60 before it was discontinued but with Glass roof, so removing that 500 to account for solid roof, its the SAME price. So looks like they price dropped the S75 to be the S60 price and the 75D is now the 60D price

60 owners when we pay 2k ($2200 with tax) to upgrade now pay MORE than a new 75 costs. Its not a good deal at all, unfortunately we are getting shafted within months of buying the car. We should be getting the upgrade for free!

Also, it looks like Automatic lift gate is now standard. Again really frustrating as that was pretty much the ONLY thing I wanted in the PUP but I didn't want to pay such a huge premium for it, I really need that since my wife has a very tough time with the manual trunk lid.

I feel really let down now. Just 2 months after I buy the car, there is a much better car being offered for the exact same price and I have to now pay more to match up only part of it?

Or am I missing something?

Wait a minute folks. I see a new 75 is now listed as 69,500k, that is just $500 more than the price of the 60 before it was discontinued but with Glass roof, so removing that 500 to account for solid roof, its the SAME price. So looks like they price dropped the S75 to be the S60 price and the 75D is now the 60D price

60 owners when we pay 2k ($2200 with tax) to upgrade now pay MORE than a new 75 costs. Its not a good deal at all, unfortunately we are getting shafted within months of buying the car. We should be getting the upgrade for free!

Also, it looks like Automatic lift gate is now standard. Again really frustrating as that was pretty much the ONLY thing I wanted in the PUP but I didn't want to pay such a huge premium for it, I really need that since my wife has a very tough time with the manual trunk lid.

I feel really let down now. Just 2 months after I buy the car, there is a much better car being offered for the exact same price and I have to now pay more to match up only part of it?

Or am I missing something?
It seems pricing fluctuates quite a bit. I just checked my paperwork and the base price for my S60 was $66,000 from last November so I'm still slightly ahead ($68,000 with battery upgrade) since I didn't want the glass roof. I really wanted the powered lift gate but couldn't justify the extra $3,000 for the entire package. I guess I'll feel more down if they drop prices on the 75 some more.

Reactions: Sawyer8888

I wouldn't say it is a much better car. But yeah Tesla improves their cars all the time, they don't normally do big model year changes.

You also got to drive the car for ~3 months more. (2 months already, and probably at least a month more to get a car if you ordered now.)

Also a number of people have 60/60Ds that can't be replicated in a 75/75D. (For example if you need SAS to be able to clear your driveway you now have to upgrade to a 90D. Which is an $18,000 price increase from the base 75.) So now 60s/75s with SAS could be worth significantly more than a 60/75 without. (More than the $2,500 it cost.)

I wouldn't say it is a much better car. But yeah Tesla improves their cars all the time, they don't normally do big model year changes.

You also got to drive the car for ~3 months more. (2 months already, and probably at least a month more to get a car if you ordered now.)

Features I can sort of say fine, I'm willing to call it progress. But you cannot ask me for money to upgrade the battery. I JUST bought the car, its ridiculous to make me pay more than the asking price for a new car.

• Disagree
Cool - I was guessing you were an employee. That's awesome (both that you have shares and that you work for SpaceX)! I'd love to be able to pick up some shares but it seems like they aren't really available for regular investors.
Since we're still a private company, there is a short list of approved investors for each purchase offer. Sometimes SpaceX will buy back shares as well. It provides an opportunity for employees to cash out without an IPO.

• Informative
Reactions: dss33
Also a number of people have 60/60Ds that can't be replicated in a 75/75D. (For example if you need SAS to be able to clear your driveway you now have to upgrade to a 90D. Which is an $18,000 price increase from the base 75.) So now 60s/75s with SAS could be worth significantly more than a 60/75 without. (More than the $2,500 it cost.)

Well hurray for them I suppose. I have a base 60 with EAP that I JUST bought. Like I said, evolution of the car, redesigh, hardware changes etc are par for course. But if you are now charging the same money I paid a short while back to get the bigger battery, why are you asking me to PAY a difference for it? I should be given the upgrade for free, I have already paid you that money!

• Disagree