TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

60 to 75: what are you charging to now?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Apr 18, 2017.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

For those who upgraded, what are you charging to now? I used to charge to the "trip line" about 197 mile range, on super cold days or on trips I'd charge to the 100% or 219 miles. Now the trip line is about 230 miles. I changed it to the line before the trip line, photo attached, is this what most are doing, or are you charging to the trip line still?

Attached Files:

2. tpham07

tpham07 Member

was doing 90% on my 60 and i got 187 miles, doing 80% on my 75 and getting 193.

• Like x 1
  3. Jlwine

Jlwine Member

100% on 60D was down to 215 from 220 when new in July.

My first 100% after my 75D upgrade last night was 251

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. TXcharge

TXcharge Member

Was doing 100% on my 60 and got 207. Just charged 75 first time at 100% and got 245.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Upgraded my 70 to a 75 and my 100% this morning was 238. A little lower than I expected, actually. Wondering if/hoping it just needs a little time to work itself out seeing as how the site rates a new 75 at 249 miles and I just picked this up in July 2016.

6. C_A_Braun

C_A_Braun Meet Voodoo, Our S75.

A 100% charge yesterday would take us to 209. Today takes us to 243.

• Informative x 2
  7. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I'll charge 3-4 times to 100% to balance the pack, then charge to 80-90% on a regular basis. Once a month or so a 100% charge to maintain balance if I don't do one for long-distance travel purposes.

• Informative x 1
  8. whitex

whitex Active Member

Upgrading to 75 just let's you charge to 100% while 60 stops the charge at 86%. If you charge to the same rated mileage as before, you charge to the exactly same spot on the battery as before the upgrade. So if after the upgrade you charge to 218 miles rated range, that is exactly the same as if you charged to 100 before the upgrade. This is why when you upgraded, the rated miles stayed the same (so if you were at 100% with a 60, after upgrade the car would tell you the battery is charged to ~86%).

• Like x 1
  9. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I'm not really concerned about the miles, I was comfortable with charging to the trip line, which I assume is 90% (of the software limit) now, in the interest of battery longevity, I wondered if that same spot wasn't the best to charge to overnight and I should move one notch down (I'm assuming to 80%) or is it still safe to go to the trip line?

10. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

This always seems to be a bit of a religious subject and everybody have their own opinion regarding this, so I guess I'll give you my 0.02$ as well.

Lithium batteries don't like extremes (0 or 100%) but most comfortable around the middle, so this is what I aim for on a daily basis. I rarely have any surprise trips Monday-Friday which means a daily consumption of 15-20% SOC.
    So I set the charge to 60% because that is what I need and it will keep the SOC between 40-60% on a regular day for me.

If I know I need to go further on a day, I will increase the charge in the app, no problem.

There is of course a few things with this way of doing charging, one of them being if I suddenly need to go 250 km, I'm kind of screwed unless I pass a supercharger or Chademo.

I know this is probably babying the battery more that needed, but I may have to keep this car for a long time and I need it to last.

Anyway, to summarize; I would recommend to charge to as much as you need and let the car handle the rest. So if you only need 80% for your day, charge it to this.

11. whitex

whitex Active Member

I charge my 85 battery to trip line for 2 years now, no degradation. I used to charge my old 60 to trip line, also didn't see noticeable degradation after 1.5 years when I sold it. I charge the 60D to 100% since it's actually 86% (if I ever upgrade I would keep it at trip line, so 4% higher). In the end, the battery does have an 8 year, unlimited warranty, and sometimes you do end up needing the range without advanced notice, and on few occasions when my wife forgets to plug in, she'd be screwed if she only charged what she needs the previous day. Keeping more charge in the batteries offers us more flexibility and peace of mind. I am not trying to convince anyone to do this, just sharing what I've done over the past 4 years. Everyone should decide for themselves what they want to do.

• Like x 3