Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been told by service_help that we should be getting an email explanation "soon". Sounds like a Tesla issue to me. Just wish they would be more up front with us. Could be done by email with an injunction on distributing the information. They NEED to contact us sooner rather than later!!

Note: Tesla Autopilot isn’t available in Australia yet, only approved in the US. Given we drive on the left side of the road, it may take awhile to recalibrate. Tesla told us that a software update to enable the feature in Australia is coming shortly, as soon as the end of November.

from last paragraph of this article:

www.techly.com.au/2015/10/23/tesla-drivers-autopilot-fails-and-near-misses-are-going-viral-on-youtube/

Note: Tesla Autopilot isn’t available in Australia yet, only approved in the US. Given we drive on the left side of the road, it may take awhile to recalibrate. Tesla told us that a software update to enable the feature in Australia is coming shortly, as soon as the end of November.

www.techly.com.au/2015/10/23/tesla-drivers-autopilot-fails-and-near-misses-are-going-viral-on-youtube/
Why do we assume that "Techly" has any more knowledge of Tesla's plans than we do?
His guess could, however, be correct.

I’m trying to figure out if (1) the nanny state here has interrupted the autopilot rollout or (2) Tesla themselves have pulled it, realising it’s more beta than anyone realised OR (3) it’s merely a technical distribution hitch.

I’m leaning towards the (1) & (2) combination. Nana has put on her spectacles to have a good look at this new-fangled auto steering ‘beta’ thingy and put the brakes on hard when the IT guy explained the meaning of those 2 words together…steering & beta. Tesla then, maybe pre-empting any stupid headlines, in effect realising there are some lane-keeping logic issues that need to be ironed out for nanny-state markets and that it needs to be confined to the beta testers in those locales until they are resolved.

Far-fetched? Any other possibilities?
Or (4) tesla forgot that the world existed outside the US and forgot to get approval at all until a few days before the release.

- - - Updated - - -

If the last paragraph is correct, and noting he is quoting a tesla representative, it's showing very high levels on contempt by tesla to advise the media about what is happening and not it's owners. Especially bad after the blog that V7 has arrived to all australian owners portals.

Given there are 4 known cars in Australia, surely the calibration has been done? Doesn't affect us, but if calibration were required how would a french car cross the chanel and drive in britain?

Mobileye would certainly have the left right issue sorted. My guess is they are recoding to ensure you keep hands on the wheel or the system turns off.

Are the 4 known cars beta testers? Who knows? Seems likely.

It is very poor form to both email and blog us that 7 is here and then not to deliver without any explanation.
Over promising and under delivering is becoming the norm it seems. Have there been any X deliveries since the launch nearly a month ago?

They really are in danger of losing their finest asset, their customers if they keep on like this.

Last edited:
Maybe the Autopilot 1.0 update will be skipped for general release here? Could be good reason as Elon tweeted, “Autopilot 1.01 coming soon: curve speed adaption, controller smoothness, better lane holding on poor roads, improved fleet learning!”

It does kind of make you ponder the application of the release early, release often philosophy when it comes to auto steering a whole lot of motor vehicles all over the planet.

Last edited:
Maybe the Autopilot 1.0 update will be skipped for general release here? Could be good reason as Elon tweeted, “Autopilot 1.01 coming soon: curve speed adaption, controller smoothness, better lane holding on poor roads, improved fleet learning!”

It does kind of make you ponder the application of the release early, release often philosophy when it comes to auto steering a whole lot of motor vehicles all over the planet.
'coming soon' means anything up to a year in the tesla vocabulary.

How did all the countries co-ordinate simultaneous approval?

1. Elon is magical.

2. Elon is a serial liar.

Pick your preferred option. I pick 2.

“Autopilot 1.01 coming soon”
'coming soon' means anything up to a year in the tesla vocabulary.
And more on occasion.

*If*/when we get it (car, dual motor, superchargers, insert next overly optimistic announced option), it will be marvellous. That's the most frustrating thing about Tesla - the product is just so awesome that you can *almost* forgive the company for being so douchebaggy.

Two weeks ago, when asked, elon proclaimed AP was ready for international rollout. Today he proclaims its now ready for international rollout (not japan). Why wouldn't I assume option 2 from mraustraliatax.
Today US mytesla portals recieved the V7 manual (well after they recieved the product??), yet we didn't, which demonstrates that tesla can do regional selection on the portal. So it seems tesla didn't have to send us the AP blog as they could have just been US selective, but chose to send it to all. Option 2 again.

I'm going to keep refreshing this thread all night until someone gets it. I just can't wait! Hope it's before the morning so I can take it for a spin. But unlikely. Maybe.
You want my advice? Go to bed and forget about it. You will be a much happier lad in the morning for a nights restful sleep.
While i do ensure my car is securely connected to wifi when i park in the garage, that is as far as i am prepared to go these days. Been let down far too often by the company. Regrettably, the conclusion MrAustraliaTax comes to is correct. The final product when it finally arrives is usually great. If it wasn't, the co. would be broke right now.
The CEO needs to grow up a bit, i think!

You want my advice? Go to bed and forget about it. You will be a much happier lad in the morning for a nights restful sleep.
While i do ensure my car is securely connected to wifi when i park in the garage, that is as far as i am prepared to go these days. Been let down far too often by the company. Regrettably, the conclusion MrAustraliaTax comes to is correct. The final product when it finally arrives is usually great. If it wasn't, the co. would be broke right now.
The CEO needs to grow up a bit, i think!

Hmm fair enough. Quite shocking some of the videos posted of autopilot with people putting so much trust in the system. It will get better of course but man people should heed the warnings.

Hmm fair enough. Quite shocking some of the videos posted of autopilot with people putting so much trust in the system. It will get better of course but man people should heed the warnings.
You should probably substitute the word 'people' with 'americans', as no-one else has 7.0

- - - Updated - - -

The tesla home page has changed across europe, but not australia or any of asia. The friday delivery didn't occur.
Tesla Motors UK | Premium Electric Vehicles