Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 > 8.0? Seems like an update for Tesla's legal team, and a net loss for customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I don't really care at all about any changes to the nags... The way I keep my hand(s) on the wheel has always been sufficient to never cause a nag in the first place...

My two main issues right now are as follows.

1. Still no Apple CarPlay support... REALLY???... Okay maybe I'm not *that* upset about the lack of carplay but...
2. It still doesn't look like you can add multiple waypoints to the nav, nor does it look like you can remotely send it directions from either your phone or computer (yes I know the calendar trick work around)

I'm excited for the new AP enhancements, but haven't really seen anything else that makes me go *wow*...

Am I missing something?

Jeff
Read this just tweeted by Elon.
Tesla Drivers Wake Up to a Serious Upgrade

• Informative
Reactions: Apricot
I did some AP driving today with 8.0. The nag now flashes the display as well as the"hold steering wheel" alert. No audible alert which I like and one thing that "journalists" insisted tesla needed to do. AP "on" is more pronounced and the other vehicles on the display more accurate in their movements. I did not notice any difference in nags, in fact the hands on wheel sensor seemed to be better......I think. Need more experience with it.
I notice many detractors on TMC appear not to have a Tesla. I don't see how one can be so negative w/o even having experience with it.

Your drama queen attitude misses the point. If the system is suddenly so dangerous then how did you survive the last year?!?!
By learning when to disengage it when I saw potential trouble ahead and following instructions, namely keeping my hands on the wheel. I've had it since day one so I have plenty of experience. You on the other hand are a noob who apparently thinks you know more than Tesla, the NHTSA, and the majority of other drivers. The problem is while your waving your hands around trying to impress your friends other lives are in danger. Not drama, this is reality.

Well clearly what we all need here is a drive-off.

7.0/1 vs 8.0.

Other vehicle features as close to identical as possible.

Same stretch of road driven several times in convoy, varying the lead vehicle.

Side by side video comparison of dashboards uploaded to a new thread on TMC.

Same thread to contain at least 5 posts asking "why didn't you compare the music players?"

Think that should cover it.

Personally, I don't really care at all about any changes to the nags... The way I keep my hand(s) on the wheel has always been sufficient to never cause a nag in the first place...

My two main issues right now are as follows.

1. Still no Apple CarPlay support... REALLY???... Okay maybe I'm not *that* upset about the lack of carplay but...
2. It still doesn't look like you can add multiple waypoints to the nav, nor does it look like you can remotely send it directions from either your phone or computer (yes I know the calendar trick work around)

I'm excited for the new AP enhancements, but haven't really seen anything else that makes me go *wow*...

Am I missing something?

Jeff

3. I don't see a Playlist option on the media player. :p

namely keeping my hands on the wheel.

The problem is while your waving your hands around trying to impress your friends other lives are in danger.

May as well just, you know, drive manually like all the other cars around.

Hands-on AP is simply pointless.

On the other hand, using AP to allow me to concentrate on scanning ahead and behind me for potential problems instead of micro-correcting speed and steering makes for much less fatiguing long distance travel.

If you love AP, there will be other cars better suited for you. Tesla is about the driving experience. It should not be a taxi. I wish money and resources were not being directed towards this expensive novelty.
Please name one car that offers a better semi-autonomous driving experience than Tesla AP.

Teslas on AP will make great taxis! I have been in far too many taxis where I felt the driver was driving recklessly and I had to tell him (it was always a guy) to slow down. I want fully autonomous taxis, and I want them to be Teslas.

Autonomous driving is not a "novelty". It is the future of personal transport. Within a decade it will be available on most cars and will be proven to be safer than human drivers and insurers will offer lower rates to those car owners who have it.

How many people buy a Tesla to alleviate the suffering of a traffic filled commute? Honestly any fuel efficient car with a comfortable seat and a good audio book would do just as well. What differentiates Tesla from every other production EV, and indeed most cars in general, is its performance and handling
I am certain that there are many Tesla owners who bought the car in part to alleviate a boring commute on highways packed with cars. I hate driving in stop and go traffic. I would much rather have the car drive itself while I relax and monitor it.

Phone integration - still a big todo
Can you explain specifically what "phone integration features you feel that 8.0 is missing? I'm on 7.1 and I have no complaints about how my iPhone interfaces with my S. Thanks.

Is this an "always on" thing, or does it have to be enabled? One may waste your battery for nothing, the other requires about as much work as the existing mechanism (chances are you're not leaving your dog or kids alone in the car for hours, and the existing mechanism works for 30 minutes). Either way, using this feature and leaving a child or dog in the car is going to put you at high risk of having your windows smashed in by a passer-by.

If anything, this sounds more like a feature designed solely to grab headlines than an actual useful feature. In my opinion, anyway. And I have both kids and dogs.
window-on-the-avc-is-he-has-water-and-is-2752042.png

On the other hand, using AP to allow me to concentrate on scanning ahead and behind me for potential problems instead of micro-correcting speed and steering makes for much less fatiguing long distance travel.

The forum doesn't give me a rating option for "confused" yet.

It seems like you made two directly opposed statements in your post- it's pointless, except for all these wonderful points...

Reactions: liuping
in fact the hands on wheel sensor seemed to be better......I think.

If true, this could address the issue. Again, I already use Autopilot everyday on both divided highway and undivided roads. I understand the conditions where the system doesn't work well. Performance over the crest of hills is laughable and I really can't believe they get away with each owner learning that in the field (except Mr. Pang :D)

But on a straight, flat, divided freeway that I have travelled 100 times before, I rest my hand on the lower steering wheel in a way that doesn't cause the car to wander back and forth (as it does with a firm grip). That is safe. If you don't agree, please send your comments to your local congressman. As I stated, the more firmly you hold the wheel, the worse the system steering performs, beginning a subtle ping-pong motion left to right.

Currently, that is OK for long periods (10+ min?)
MB requires a sensed torque reaction every 10-20 sec.

That difference is why I own the former. If it can't sense my loose grip any better than the 7.1 capability, I can't accept changing that interval to 1 min (if true...I'm a little surprised we don't have more first-hand accounts by now)

Well the point is to keep the driver engaged and have a faster reaction time to take over if necessary so it's, you know, safer which, by the way, is the way it is with your current firmware 7.1. The rest of the stuff in your second paragraph you can still do. Win/win!

Can you explain specifically what "phone integration features you feel that 8.0 is missing? I'm on 7.1 and I have no complaints about how my iPhone interfaces with my S. Thanks.

As much as I hate to this derail concerning the flipping media player, this statement indicates you are just unaware of the current state of the art. I encourage you to try a late model VW or other with CarPlay. You really don't know what you are missing.

It is a contradiction in terms, yes.

Hands-on AP is a stepping stone / temporary millstone on the path to full autonomy.

When it was first launched some folks took liberties, the most infamous being a Dutch gentleman who videoed himself sitting in the back seat while his Tesla drove along with no one sitting in either of the front seats.

I guess someone will use that as evidence that the old firmware was superior.

*sigh*

As much as I hate to this derail concerning the flipping media player, this statement indicates you are just unaware of the current state of the art. I encourage you to try a late model VW or other with CarPlay. You really don't know what you are missing.
I have never used "CarPlay". According to this page iOS - CarPlay with CarPlay, quote: "You can get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music...".

Those are all things I do right now with my iPhone in my Model S, and I can do them hands free. As a fan of most things Apple, I would not be surprised if CarPlay makes those things somewhat easier (though some people disagree about the usefulness of CarPlay). But I don't have any difficulty doing all those things right now, without CarPlay.

It isn't a matter of being foolish. It's about how our brains are wired to do routine tasks without conscious input from us and how a confluence of a bunch of factors can coalesce into an incredibly tragic accident by short circuiting our brains. There are some excellent articles and studies available online about the phenomenon.
Are you seriously telling me you believe the majority of parents/pet-owners who leave their children/pets in their cars don't consciously
think "oh, I'll just be a moment -- it'll be all right"? I'm not saying that the "unconscious" cases you mention don't happen, but they're
a drop in the bucket compared to the foolish conscious decisions made ever day.

Carplay would solve all of these .. but here goes ..

- When I connect my phone, show me the media in my phone as a browsable list (many other cars have had this for the past 10 years).
- Allow me to see, and reply to SMS messages on the 17" screen.
- When someone calls me on FB messenger/Skype/etc. - treat that as a normal phone call, and let me take/answer it from the screen.
- Integrate hey siri into the car. Hey siri, open sunroof. Siri -> Phone -> Tesla app -> opens sunroof. i.e. the voice control in the car should be greatly enhanced via hey siri. Or while I'm driving "Ok google, find the closest cafe" .. android shows the list "Ok google navigate to the third one" ..
- Allow me to lock/unlock car from bluetooth on phone. No need for internet or keyfob. And use BT proximity to lock/unlock the car.
- Screen mirroring for apps that do not support carplay
- Show phone notifications on the 17" screen
- Allow me to project google or apple maps directions on the 17" screen.
- Allow me to search for a google address, and use "Send to car" action from my phone. So imagine, your friend iMessages you an address, and I can tap -> send to car.

And if Tesla and Apple cannot huggy huggy kissy kissy and give us carplay, Tesla could at the very least, enable airplay, and let me mirror the phone screen in half or full screen - even if it is a one way connection (i.e. no touch based feedback). That alone would be a big improvement.

Anyway, my 3 main complaints about software were,
Media
Nav
Phone integration.

.. and the only unaddressed complaint after 8.0 is phone integration. Media and nav are ok now.

Last edited:
I don't personally understand the fascination with AP. If you love AP, there will be other cars better suited for you. Tesla is about the driving experience. It should not be a taxi. I wish money and resources were not being directed towards this expensive novelty.

You're being horribly short sighted if you can't see where this is going... There will come a time where manually driving a car will be prohibitively expensive due to insurance costs. AP is anything but an "expensive novelty", it's gen 1 of a much bigger movement and fundamental sea change with regards to the relationship between a human and their car...

Jeff

Carplay would solve all of these .. but here goes ..

- When I connect my phone, show me the media in my phone as a browsable list (many other cars have had this for the past 10 years).
- Allow me to see, and reply to SMS messages on the 17" screen.
- When someone calls me on FB messenger/Skype/etc. - treat that as a normal phone call, and let me take/answer it from the screen.
- Integrate hey siri into the car. Hey siri, open sunroof. Siri -> Phone -> Tesla app -> opens sunroof. i.e. the voice control in the car should be greatly enhanced via hey siri. Or while I'm driving "Ok google, find the closest cafe" .. android shows the list "Ok google navigate to the third one" ..
- Allow me to lock/unlock car from bluetooth on phone. No need for internet or keyfob. And use BT proximity to lock/unlock the car.
- Screen mirroring for apps that do not support carplay
- Show phone notifications on the 17" screen
- Allow me to project google or apple maps directions on the 17" screen.
- Allow me to search for a google address, and use "Send to car" action from my phone. So imagine, your friend iMessages you an address, and I can tap -> send to car.

And if Tesla and Apple cannot huggy huggy kissy kissy and give us carplay, Tesla could at the very least, enable airplay, and let me mirror the phone screen in half or full screen - even if it is a one way connection (i.e. no touch based feedback). That alone would be a big improvement.

Anyway, my 3 main complaints about software were,
Media
Nav
Phone integration.

.. and the only unaddressed complaint after 8.0 is phone integration. Media and nav are ok now.
Do you have 8.0 installed? Is Nav okay now? That's not the reports I'm hearing. Same with MP. All these nagging issues would be solved with CarPlay and leave Tesla's development team free for other things.

Reactions: u00mem9
So web browsing and map browsing is still laggy? I am not sure if the new firmware is actually any improvements.

Most of it I will not use or care about. The only thing is the regen so I can get better braking and range. The rest is meh.

Fix the browser and the map scrolling and we are golden. My phone browses the map and browser a lot faster than what tesla can do.
what about the phone update...it's so annoying that it wont do one step dialing when you say call X

Reactions: u00mem9