Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in Australia received it yet? And what about Homelink and Spotify? Anyone?

That was a shot of my car, it came in last night. Spotify is included. No homelink (obviously) and no Summon for Australia. Automatic perpendicular parking is awesome though.

- - - Updated - - -

Not in Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

No 7.1 for me either. How would LGGD get an earlier update? surely these are sent out across Australia by the 3G to everyone at the same time.

Rollouts can take weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it requires your car be connected to wifi (obviously Tesla draws a line somewhere when it comes to 3G data...can you blame them)

I also reckon they roll out the update so as to relieve stress on their own servers... I mean could be a few gigs of data per car... So SLOWLY is the key

Rollouts can be slow but Wi-Fi is not required.

LGGD - great stuff to see Australia has started to get 7.1

Here's some comments/comparisons on the various versions being rolled out based on the screenshots I've been able to find here on TMC:

USA - gets everything except Spotify

Europe - doesn't get any of the AutoPilot enhancements (or the restriction!). Gets/has HomeLink. Doesn't get Summon.

Australia - doesn't get Summon. doesn't get HomeLink. gets Spotify. gets AutoPilot Enhancements.

Overall sounds pretty good for us except for no HomeLink/Summon.

One HUGE caveat that springs to mind. We *do* get the AutoPilot restriction of speed limit + x kms on non divided roads (based on the US release notes for the features).
My major worry here is the frequent misreading of 80 as 30.

LGGD - any chance of a screenshot of the relevant section of your release notes? (the AutoSteer release notes).

LGGD - great stuff to see Australia has started to get 7.1

Here's some comments/comparisons on the various versions being rolled out based on the screenshots I've been able to find here on TMC:

USA - gets everything except Spotify

Europe - doesn't get any of the AutoPilot enhancements (or the restriction!). Gets/has HomeLink. Doesn't get Summon.

Australia - doesn't get Summon. doesn't get HomeLink. gets Spotify. gets AutoPilot Enhancements.

Overall sounds pretty good for us except for no HomeLink/Summon.

One HUGE caveat that springs to mind. We *do* get the AutoPilot restriction of speed limit + x kms on non divided roads (based on the US release notes for the features).
My major worry here is the frequent misreading of 80 as 30.

LGGD - any chance of a screenshot of the relevant section of your release notes? (the AutoSteer release notes).

Hi Mr ATO - that WORRY concerned me also. BUT the way I figure it, the frequent misreading of 80 as 30 restriction DOES NOT apply on non-residential streets and divided roads... In other words, on residential roads:

1) There is usually no 80kmh speed signs anyway; and
2) You wouldn't have Autopilot on in residential streets for long anyway (if at all); and
3) Even in those cases where presumably it would cut out or reduce speed to 30 - surely it will still allow you to step on the gas (ahem pedal) and the car goes faster...

Anyway - not real problems...

BUT the way I figure it, the frequent misreading of 80 as 30 restriction DOES NOT apply on non-residential streets and divided roads...

That all depends on what our overlord programmers at *Tesla* are actually looking for, not what *we* think is or isn't a highway/divided road.

eg
Is this part of their algorithm?

If detected speed limit sign < 60 km/h (eg 80 misread as 30) -> this *must* therefore be a residential street. Bang. Autopilot restricted to 35 km/h.
Remember they *have* stated that the restriction is speed limit + margin, so they must be using speed limit data for something...what if the data is bad?

There's a road I use often in Melbourne - the Metropolitan Ring Road. It has overhead illuminated speed signs, the kind Tesla can't read properly. It is a divided road. Autosteer works very well on this road at the moment. What if Tesla now decide this is not an autopilot road because it reads the 80s as 30s? [it already misreads the 80s as 30s]

Since there's no going back if we don't like it, I'm happy to wait and see what the real word effect is of this restriction in Australian conditions and not just assume that everything will be sunshine and unicorns.

It's quite a hard choice:
- potential autopilot issues
vs
- perpendicular parking (wife says YES YES YES YES YES)
- Spotify (all of us say YES YES YES YES YES)

At least they're not forcing this restriction on us a la Hong Kong style.

Last edited:
That all depends on what our overlord programmers at *Tesla* are actually looking for, not what *we* think is or isn't a highway/divided road.

eg
Is this part of their algorithm?

If detected speed limit sign < 60 km/h (eg 80 misread as 30) -> this *must* therefore be a residential street. Bang. Autopilot restricted to 35 km/h.
Remember they *have* stated that the restriction is speed limit + margin, so they must be using speed limit data for something...what if the data is bad?

There's a road I use often in Melbourne - the Metropolitan Ring Road. It has overhead illuminated speed signs, the kind Tesla can't read properly. It is a divided road. Autosteer works very well on this road at the moment. What if Tesla now decide this is not an autopilot road because it reads the 80s as 30s? [it already misreads the 80s as 30s]

Since there's no going back if we don't like it, I'm happy to wait and see what the real word effect is of this restriction in Australian conditions and not just assume that everything will be sunshine and unicorns.

It's quite a hard choice:
- potential autopilot issues
vs
- perpendicular parking (wife says YES YES YES YES YES)
- Spotify (all of us say YES YES YES YES YES)

At least they're not forcing this restriction on us a la Hong Kong style.

That is a very good point MrATO

However I would venture to guess that "residential" means whether GoogleMaps (the engine behind its nav system) tells the car if there are houses on either side of the road.

At first I thought the Autopilot was quite Nav system unaware - but driving back from Melbourne on AP at one point, I decided to ignore my nav system and continue on the highway when it was directing me off it. When I passed the point, the AP started slowing the car right down (even though the speed was set for 110kmh) as if it was forcing me to consider doing a U turn in accordance with the Nav System... I was overriding it with foot on the accelerator (not cancelling the route) - but it was actually an unpleasant experience.

Anyway - you are right - it does depend on what our Tesla overlords consider a residential street - and since it is actually arbitrary - then it is anybody's guess!

---

I am REALLY UPSET that the SUMMONS feature is NOT INCLUDED in the Aussie Package. I would have really loved that feature. IT IS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a very good point MrATO

However I would venture to guess that "residential" means whether GoogleMaps (the engine behind its nav system) tells the car if there are houses on either side of the road.

At first I thought the Autopilot was quite Nav system unaware - but driving back from Melbourne on AP at one point, I decided to ignore my nav system and continue on the highway when it was directing me off it. When I passed the point, the AP started slowing the car right down (even though the speed was set for 110kmh) as if it was forcing me to consider doing a U turn in accordance with the Nav System... I was overriding it with foot on the accelerator (not cancelling the route) - but it was actually an unpleasant experience.

Anyway - you are right - it does depend on what our Tesla overlords consider a residential street - and since it is actually arbitrary - then it is anybody's guess!

I've had that problem with the TACC. You can turn the Nav off and it gives the same symptoms (i.e. Slow Down on TACC). Also does it if AS not engaged.
I complained to Huw about it and he wants a screen dump next time it happens.

BTW,

What is the best way to be informed that your car has downloaded the upgrade?

Does your iPad just tell you because you have the Tesla App installed? Does that mean every iPad/iPhone in the house tells you if it has the Tesla App installed?

I take it there is no way to know whether your car is actually downloading the upgrade or not?

I also presume the car doesn't rudely tell you that it has downloaded the upgrade when you jump into it for the first time - without sending an iPad notification I mean??

Usually get a notification on my phone. Sometimes also on my iPad. Can come in at any time of day. I had one come in in the middle of the day, on a weekend. I wish we could order instal via the app though. That would be cool.

SO, so far... I take it, that of all the active members on this Aussie forum.... Only two Aussies have received 7.1 so far. A Gold Coast guy and a WA guy.

So... HURRY UP!!!

So can someone who knows a journalist get him/her to ask Heath Walker what the deal is with summoning the car in Australia is? Are we gunna get it? When? If not, why not?

Not fair...

Not fair dinkum...

My guess is that we will never get it.

The reason is the Australian Road Rules:

"11—" " Australian Road Rules apply to vehicles and road users on roads and road-related areas"

"(1) A "road-related area is any of the following:

(a) an area that divides a road;

(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;

(c) an area that is not a road and that is open to the public and designated for use by cyclists or animals;

(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles."

So, given subsection (d) normal road rules apply almost everywhere. The only place summon might be legal here is on a single title private residential property.

- - - Updated - - -

... And ask about Homelink. If it doesn't work with Australian garage doors at least install it on the car and individuals or door opener manufacturers will find a way.

If the radio frequency spectrum band used by Homelink is different to the band allocated to garage door remotes in Australia it would be a federal offence for Tesla to activate Homelink in Australia.