TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

7.1 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ZTrekus, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

You our are exactly right BenT. I just read your post out to my wife just now!

2. alpal

alpal Member

#62 alpal, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Sucked me in on this one Colina!!!

3. paulp

paulp Active Member

seems that only US cars have recieved summon, so maybe its like autosteer (7.0) and needs US regulatory export approval before everyone else gets it, in which case a couple of weeks.

4. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Maybe Tesla is scared about regulatory approval... But on the other hand... Since it is only supposed to be used on private property, are they not being too cautious? I suppose worst case scenario is that they be forced to disable it on public roads and road related areas. But determining the difference between private property and road related areas would be a real challenge for the Nav system.

Bottom line... Too many nannies in this state.

5. ColinA

ColinA Member

How hard would it be to send a bulk email out to all owners, one email for each country, explaining which updates we are getting and a brief reason why we don't get some and/if we will later? That would stop all the wild speculation everyone is left to engage in.

6. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

i know right? Simple communication failure...

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Communication. The single biggest failure of the Tesla company.

8. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

I must say how surprised I am at how slow the ota update rollout is. I mean, model 3 is supposed to sell something like 500k a year. Fancy trying to roll out an update for that fleet. It'd take all year.

9. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

Agreed. Like what factors and systems are involved? Do they go according to region, VIN or something? Maybe their servers can't keep up?

10. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

"Dear Aussies,

The Summons feature in 7.1 has been delayed for Australian owners until the Australian Key Fob is re-designed into the shape of a gum leaf that you blow into."

Tv Theme Skippy - YouTube

11. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

At a guess I would say from time to time Tesla don't mind a bit of free wild speculation, Tesla communication is poor when it needs to be, good when it needs to be.

12. jacksongs

jacksongs New Member

http://www.caradvice.com.au/407756/tesla-model-s-adds-summon-mode-for-fully-automated-parking/

13. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Summon has been ruled out for Australia:

Tesla Model S adds Summon mode for fully automated parking  UPDATE

"UPDATE: Australian market ruled out for Summon featureWith this update released overnight, Australian time, it was unclear if or when Summon would be offered locally.
    But, as with the Remote Control Parking function of BMW’s new 7 Series, it appeared unlikely that Tesla offering Summon in Australia would be legal. That has now been confirmed.
    Speaking with CarAdvice this morning, Tesla Australia communications manager Heather Walker confirmed: “the 7.1 release in Australia will not include summon feature, due to legal reasons”."

14. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Well that sux

15. danielp

danielp Member

Sad panda.

(We don't need homelink for this to be awesome either)

16. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

True, would've been fine without Homelink. I'm a bit disappointed. We were told we were getting a car that did this.

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Can anyone here confirm when precisely we were told/ promised summons or something similar? I have been around so long that as far as I am concerned, it has always been there. As, for that matter, has homelink and a browser.
    Newbies or relative newbies may be able to localize it better, given whatever sales pitch they were given.

18. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I don't know when it changed, but they clearly told me in December 2014 (when I originally ordered) that it would be possible to have the car self-present at the kerb.
    Maybe a techno-wiz can find the old Tesla pages in some internet cache???

19. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

FWIW you can check on the Wayback Machine although Tesla no doubt planned & are still planning to release it. I don't think it's Tesla's fault that we're not getting it yet.

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

20. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Or we could all help Tesla loby the nanny government we have to allow summoning the car.

I guess the rules are in place just in case the car runs someone over, of course the rules where written a long time ago and technology has radically changed. Personally I believe if every car had the summon feature we wouldn't see the toddler deaths each year when backed over by their own parents.

It's the government that needs to change, collectively surely we have a few lawyers amongst us that could present a good case to the powers to be?

-ECIT