Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2am was the charm for me.

I agree with Meloccom that Spotify is and would be a major selling point for the car.

I never thought to compare it with the Summon feature. Personally Summon would work extremely well for me in my tight narrow but flat car port that I would love to send the car into without of course needing Homelink. In fact my practice is to align the car and then let the family out. I then take her in, and then breathe in upon disembarking myself as I walk sideways and try ever so hard not to scratch the i3 parked alongside me with my door. Now with Summon, I could get out with the family and send her in automatically. So I really do live in hope...

But I would prefer Spotify in lieu of the Summon feature.

And by that I mean given that Rdio is kaput. It would be a different story entirely (for me anyway) if Rdio still worked and it was then a choice between Spotify or Summon in lieu. For then I would certainly choose Summon, but only because of my peculiar circumstances...

I think what is vexing us greatly is that:
1. It was promised us;
2. We were awaiting it;
3. It is now available;
4. The Aussie exclusion appears so arbitrary and the legal excuse appears so lame

and so all being said, it is just too late to deny this feature to us given that it can simply be now switched on in software somewhere...

p.s. Absolutely cannot wait to try out Spotify with the family today!
Homelink and browser are both just software turn- ons for us....

Still nada... Maybe if you cause them grief by complaining you come at the bottom of the list...

7.1 Upgrade complete

Well, it has happened but without Summon. No mention of it at all, only significant changes are Spotify and Perpendicular Parking, and some yet to be seen restrictions on AutoSteer. Along with some other improvements to Cruise Control and the instrument display will now show trucks and bikes as they are and also will show vehicles in adjacent lanes.

My main issue is that I now have a new message on the screen saying "Driver Assistance Features not Available. Contact Tesla Service" I'm on the phone now....

- - - Updated - - -

And now previously described fault message has disappeared while I was on hold.

Very briefly:
Spotify is great- prima facie sound quality seems BETTER than Rdio, which is very pleasing. Interface seems good too.
But even more remarkable, Auopilot has a new maturity and assurance about the way it drives the car. Previously I felt anxious about the way it maintained lanes, etc. Now it is really confidence-inspiring. Caveat- it was a short burst on the expressway.....

I also flagged an apparent bug with nav that I have where directions on centre touchscreen get confused with prior destinations, while directions on map on dashboard are fine. He said he's not seen this before... has anyone else, or is it just me ?

I also have this problem.

It only happens when you set a second destination on the nav during the one driving session.

It can be cleared by changing the centre touchscreen map display mode icon. I normally have it on the "top is always North" setting. Switching to the "top is always the car's direction" mode and then back again and driving the route sees it eventually revert to the new route on the touchscreen.

Cruise Control Upgrade - Remembers Settings?

I've just driven to work with the new update. Perpendicular park worked well in the rather tight car park here.

The cruise control now seems to remember settings. I'm not sure if it is remembering settings I have used before, or whether it's based on the speed limit. It doesn't come on automatically, but the speed shown on the greyed symbol changed - from 60 on a suburban road, then to 80 when I pulled onto the freeway. I would never have thought of or requested this feature, but I love it already. It makes it so much easier to set cruise. No fiddling with the stalk to get the speed just right. Just one pull of the lever towards you.

On my return trip, I shall find out if it is remembering previous settings or going by the speed limit.

A couple of observations after spending the last hour touring Sydney

..cruise control sets itself at 2km above the CURRENT speed limit. It starts at a different setting depending on the current speed limit. This just makes it much easier to set when you engage it. To increase or decrease it after starting is the same as before---stalk up or down

..autopilot self steering is MUCH smoother. Agree with ICU that it inspires more confidence as it controls the care. Better centering and better lane change. Tried it over the Anzac Bridge, smooth as smooth

..multicar display. Very nice, easier to follow, much more information. Didn't see any motorcycles, but trucks were self evident on the display

..Spotify works well. Intitutive

Several other features to try....nice comprehensive upgrade. I expect summons to come eventually

One last thing, todays article on autonomous driving talks about MERCEDES as the most advanced....ridiculous

..cruise control sets itself at 2km above the CURRENT speed limit. It starts at a different setting depending on the current speed limit. This just makes it much easier to set when you engage it. To increase or decrease it after starting is the same as before---stalk up or down

..autopilot self steering is MUCH smoother. Agree with ICU that it inspires more confidence as it controls the care. Better centering and better lane change. Tried it over the Anzac Bridge, smooth as smooth

..multicar display. Very nice, easier to follow, much more information. Didn't see any motorcycles, but trucks were self evident on the display

Several other features to try....nice comprehensive upgrade. I expect summons to come eventually

One last thing, todays article on autonomous driving talks about MERCEDES as the most advanced....ridiculous
yeah, lots of good stuff. I look forward to more upgrades.
rgrets about dissing TMC a bit yesterday.

Post 7.1 update the 3G signal strength icon has disappeared from the top row of symbols on my 17" display. Can someone please check their car and advise me of their icon status?

My car has downloaded the 7.1 update but I have not installed it yet.

3G since the (*not yet installed*) download is non functional.

Has the text "3G" also disappeared and has 3G failed? This happened to me outside of any update. A reboot with the steering wheel buttons fixed it.

Rebooting both touchscreen and instrument cluster did not fix the problem for me.

your first point about tacc starting 2km over the speed limit, I think that is your offset in the settings. It can be adjusted as required

My car has downloaded the 7.1 update but I have not installed it yet.

3G since the (*not yet installed*) download is non functional.

Rebooting both touchscreen and instrument cluster did not fix the problem for me.

My 3G did resolve itself after a few hours. It took a few hours too for Spotify to allow me to set it up. No doubt both issues were related.

I can't recall the pre 7.1 display for the 3G, but the 3G symbol and the Wi-Fi fan appear to occupy the same place on the screen with 7.1. Display priority appears to be given to the Wi-Fi fan if you are within your Wi-Fi environment.

My 3G did resolve itself after a few hours. It took a few hours too for Spotify to allow me to set it up. No doubt both issues were related.

I can't recall the pre 7.1 display for the 3G, but the 3G symbol and the Wi-Fi fan appear to occupy the same place on the screen with 7.1. Display priority appears to be given to the Wi-Fi fan if you are within your Wi-Fi environment.

I believe that was the same pre 7.1. Also noted on the US release notes that automatic windscreen wiper logic was improved. Hopefully that will give us better wipers.

More comments about summon-like capability and the legal constraints imposed by Australian government

remember this is a Mercedes discussion not Tesla

It can also park itself without anyone sitting inside the car. But that feature may not be part of the vehicle's attributes from launch, as local authorities have frowned on the concept of cars moving without having a driver on-board to direct the vehicle, an issue BMW uncovered ahead of the launch of its self-parking 7-Series sedan. While the new Mercedes is capable of driving itself for hours on end, Mercedes agreed to limit the car's capabilities to a much shorter period of time - at least for now.
"[The government] has approved the car and they know it does it for 12 seconds... the government has accepted that period of time," McCarthy said.
"It doesn't make the car less safe. [But] it has the potential to take away some of its ability to be safer.
"You can't do something that the regulations don't allow and expect them to agree. The government is being very cooperative."
Weber and McCarthy both said it may be possible to remove the 12 second restriction on local cars with a software update in the future, though Mercedes has not locked in plans to do so.

More comments about summon-like capability and the legal constraints imposed by Australian government

remember this is a Mercedes discussion not Tesla

It can also park itself without anyone sitting inside the car. But that feature may not be part of the vehicle's attributes from launch, as local authorities have frowned on the concept of cars moving without having a driver on-board to direct the vehicle, an issue BMW uncovered ahead of the launch of its self-parking 7-Series sedan. While the new Mercedes is capable of driving itself for hours on end, Mercedes agreed to limit the car's capabilities to a much shorter period of time - at least for now.
"[The government] has approved the car and they know it does it for 12 seconds... the government has accepted that period of time," McCarthy said.
"It doesn't make the car less safe. [But] it has the potential to take away some of its ability to be safer.
"You can't do something that the regulations don't allow and expect them to agree. The government is being very cooperative."
Weber and McCarthy both said it may be possible to remove the 12 second restriction on local cars with a software update in the future, though Mercedes has not locked in plans to do so.

Looks to me like proof positive of the authorities putting the kibosh on and possibly nerfing Summon not Tesla (even though the story is about Mercedes). As I think has been commented by others, ironic that Summon makes it far less likely that a small child will get run over while reversing. Not only are the sensors far more able to detect & react but the driver supervising from outside the car would obviously be a dual redundant failsafe measure.

Looks to me like proof positive of the authorities putting the kibosh on and possibly nerfing Summon not Tesla (even though the story is about Mercedes). As I think has been commented by others, ironic that Summon makes it far less likely that a small child will get run over while reversing. Not only are the sensors far more able to detect & react but the driver supervising from outside the car would obviously be a dual redundant failsafe measure.
I can't pickup or even touch a phone in my car whilst on a public road, but phones havn't been banned from being in cars, rather just the use of them. I'm free to use my phone in my hand whilst driving on private property though.

Homelink. I see that the frequencies used in the USA are 315 MHz, 433.92 MHz .
Now, i had to replace my receiver about 2 months ago, and i see that the frequency used is 433.92. So..... there is NO compatibility issue with the USA. Effectively, they can just activate it over the air with NO programming required!!!!