Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My unproven theory is they go in batches of motor and battery type. The interface on a 70 will be very different than a p90d, for example, and then you have the options that also make differences, such as air, climate, sound, and AP. I reckon they setup all 70's with for example air and AP, push them all out, then move onto the next variant.
I have no theory on how they choose the variant order though, or what is the first variant criteria. I've assumed battery size, but maybe not.

Paul, I looked up your link and it mentions that it will even park in your garage. Given that we are getting perpendicular park, they could argue that is what was meant. Just playing devils advocate here. I too recall that we are supposed to get driverless summon.

My update is just about to go through....car is only 5 weeks old.

-ECIT

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
My unproven theory is they go in batches of motor and battery type. The interface on a 70 will be very different than a p90d, for example, and then you have the options that also make differences, such as air, climate, sound, and AP. I reckon they setup all 70's with for example air and AP, push them all out, then move onto the next variant.
I have no theory on how they choose the variant order though, or what is the first variant criteria. I've assumed battery size, but maybe not.

My theory is that it is whichever way the cards get shuffled... completely unordered.

Paul, I looked up your link and it mentions that it will even park in your garage. Given that we are getting perpendicular park, they could argue that is what was meant. Just playing devils advocate here. I too recall that we are supposed to get driverless summon.
Yes the first paragraph could be interpreted that way, however I suspect no-one will be able to get their car to park in a garage using autopark. It relies on white lines and cars each side.

The 2nd paragraph says "on private property, model s will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb"
Clearly you can't be in the car if its going to meet you at the curb. Also noting the reference to private property, which is in the release notes in the US.

it's important to note that there are only two ways to get information from tesla before purchasing, either from company representative verbally, or from their website, and each country has its own specific website, so buyers have a right to assume it's fully correct for their country. The website is the only written information available.

So there are legal concerns re summons? Each year we hear tragic reports of driveway accidents in cars being driven by people. It must be one of the cruelest events for a parent to run over a child. How safe is summons? Can we assume that the sensors would prevent such an accident. Certainly if you are standing outside the car with the car coming towards you this must be safer than reversing it from in the car as you have a clear line of site. If you are outside the car and the car is moving away from you you must have an unclear line of sight. The ideal of full automation would be to avoid human error and accidents. If the sensors are up to the job then summons may well be safer than a car being driven by a human.

it's important to note that there are only two ways to get information from tesla before purchasing, either from company representative verbally, or from their website, and each country has its own specific website, so buyers have a right to assume it's fully correct for their country. The website is the only written information available.

I think you have a point here. If summon feature is to be released post beta, Tesla could say so and start keeping customers (product advocates) better informed. If it's related to traffic regs, what are the specifics (noting those posted earlier have been in force long before Tesla started advertising, so this doesn't provide a good line of defence to your concern. If it's something else (Homelink etc) as speculated, then back to the first point - Tesla could let us know there are dependencies they are working though. The CarAdvice article though seems to point to the traffic regulations being the blocker, but this is dubious if those regs haven't changed since they marketed these capabilities in Australia.

I think you have a point here. If summon feature is to be released post beta, Tesla could say so and start keeping customers (product advocates) better informed. If it's related to traffic regs, what are the specifics (noting those posted earlier have been in force long before Tesla started advertising, so this doesn't provide a good line of defence to your concern. If it's something else (Homelink etc) as speculated, then back to the first point - Tesla could let us know there are dependencies they are working though. The CarAdvice article though seems to point to the traffic regulations being the blocker, but this is dubious if those regs haven't changed since they marketed these capabilities in Australia.
Its also very odd that the only country that has recieved it is US. All other countries are a no go from what I can ascertain. Starting to think not much effort has been made by tesla outside the US, which for global aspirations isn't a good thing for the company.
Car companies misleading buyers is a big deal at the moment following the VW scandel.

Its also very odd that the only country that has recieved it is US. All other countries are a no go from what I can ascertain. Starting to think not much effort has been made by tesla outside the US, which for global aspirations isn't a good thing for the company.
Car companies misleading buyers is a big deal at the moment following the VW scandel.

From memory there was a similar "game" played with release of auto-pilot. World wide release announced, then it appeared that every country other than US was subject to regulatory approvals. These resolved themselves for all markets (except Hong Kong) within a few weeks. In fact I think I remember us all being amazed that Australia was resolved as quickly as it was given how slowly things can move in those areas of government.

Whilst the model S is a worldwide product the US is still by far their biggest single market and hence makes sense to release there as soon as possible. Press announcement is made once and the detail catches up over a few weeks. Any excessive delays and "the government is to blame" which everyone will wisely nod at?

From memory there was a similar "game" played with release of auto-pilot. World wide release announced, then it appeared that every country other than US was subject to regulatory approvals. These resolved themselves for all markets (except Hong Kong) within a few weeks. In fact I think I remember us all being amazed that Australia was resolved as quickly as it was given how slowly things can move in those areas of government.

Whilst the model S is a worldwide product the US is still by far their biggest single market and hence makes sense to release there as soon as possible. Press announcement is made once and the detail catches up over a few weeks. Any excessive delays and "the government is to blame" which everyone will wisely nod at?
Definitely agree - blaming the guvermint has always been the easy way out.
On the other hand, who remembers 'Camp Granada'?
see http://www.elyrics.net/read/a/alan-lyrics/camp-granada-lyrics.html
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzErh_s62Wk

Yeah, good point, TesAus. No need to panic. I should be more patient.

If I recall correctly with 7.0 we just got no update at all until it had approval (2 weeks) whereas this time we are recieving 7.1 less the autopilot feature, which kind of implies it might be a while, if ever.

- - - Updated - - -

ICUDoc - Is the patient thing a doctor pun? :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

By the way staying on topic just puzzled my dogs and family by jumping up and running to the car.

Yup - just got the notification of software update pop up on my phone!
same here. Back later!!

- - - Updated - - -

85d installing. The slightly older 85 parked right next to it is now feeling less loved and wants some attention too.

If I recall correctly with 7.0 we just got no update at all until it had approval (2 weeks) whereas this time we are recieving 7.1 less the autopilot feature, which kind of implies it might be a while, if ever.

- - - Updated - - -

same here. Back later!!

- - - Updated - - -

85d installing. The slightly older 85 parked right next to it is now feeling less loved and wants some attention too.
Yup, just got my notification, too....

My guess is that we will never get it.

The reason is the Australian Road Rules:

"11—" " Australian Road Rules apply to vehicles and road users on roads and road-related areas"

"(1) A "road-related area is any of the following:

(a) an area that divides a road;

(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;

(c) an area that is not a road and that is open to the public and designated for use by cyclists or animals;

(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles."

So, given subsection (d) normal road rules apply almost everywhere. The only place summon might be legal here is on a single title private residential property.

- - - Updated - - -

If the radio frequency spectrum band used by Homelink is different to the band allocated to garage door remotes in Australia it would be a federal offence for Tesla to activate Homelink in Australia.

I cant see which road rule summon is in breach of, even on public roads;
296-the driver of a vehicle must not reverse unless the driver can do so safely
297 - a driver must not drive a vehicle unless the driver has proper control of the vehicle. A driver must not drive a motor vehicle unless the driver has a clear view of the road and traffic ahead, behind, and to each side.
16 - a driver is the person who is driving a vehicle (note 2 drive includes be in control of)

I cannot find a rule which says the driver must do so from within the car??, and from the video's of seen I think the driver has full control whilst using summon (driver within 10 ft or it shuts down)
If anyone knows another road rule that could possible prevent summon (beta 7.1) even on a public road please let me know.

Just logged into my 'mytesla' account and was greeted by a new blog entry describing how brilliant summon will be, and that its rolling out. Surely tesla wouldn't insult all of its international owners by announcing something direct to them that they either can't or won't get on their private portal? Surely the communications team is way smarter than that?
Indeed the blog also implies that we are getting a garage door opening device too, and the little aussie flag at the bottom tells me this is intended for australian owners.

So drove my 7.1 enabled 85 this evening and Spotify is far and away better than RDIO. Choose a genre and turn on the random and let it play.

Autopilot is still available , used it on Paramatta road for a while but it definitely being offered less frequently which is ok as it doesn't really work well in smaller streets.
Went to dinner with a friend who lives in the UK that I see only occasionally. He was telling me how he was buying a new car and couldn't justify the higher cost of a Model S over a Jaguar. Took him, his wife and two girls for a spin, Spotify sold it for the girls an Autopark and the acceleration sold it to his wife. Puts him a bit of a pickle poor guy, before the test drive the wife and kids were non- plussed about what car dad should buy but now the Tesla is a firm favourite. :smile:

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about summon not being available here yet, you can't yet get it to summon automatically and you have to be within 3 meters of the car through the process so at the moment it's just a show off gadget. BMW have introduced something similar and it's only a matter of time before MB, Audi etc do the same so the authorities will need to deal with autonomous features in the legislation soon. Future versions and some time to negotiate with local authorities will most likely see it arrive here, but not sure how useful it will be without home link.

2am was the charm for me.

I agree with Meloccom that Spotify is and would be a major selling point for the car.

I never thought to compare it with the Summon feature. Personally Summon would work extremely well for me in my tight narrow but flat car port that I would love to send the car into without of course needing Homelink. In fact my practice is to align the car and then let the family out. I then take her in, and then breathe in upon disembarking myself as I walk sideways and try ever so hard not to scratch the i3 parked alongside me with my door. Now with Summon, I could get out with the family and send her in automatically. So I really do live in hope...

But I would prefer Spotify in lieu of the Summon feature.

And by that I mean given that Rdio is kaput. It would be a different story entirely (for me anyway) if Rdio still worked and it was then a choice between Spotify or Summon in lieu. For then I would certainly choose Summon, but only because of my peculiar circumstances...

I think what is vexing us greatly is that:
1. It was promised us;
2. We were awaiting it;
3. It is now available;
4. The Aussie exclusion appears so arbitrary and the legal excuse appears so lame

and so all being said, it is just too late to deny this feature to us given that it can simply be now switched on in software somewhere...

p.s. Absolutely cannot wait to try out Spotify with the family today!