Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does local government have to do with it?

Ray, I think what ECIT means is write to your local Federal Member of Parliament, the one you will vote for or against in the upcoming federal election this year.
The Federal Member for the electorate of Brisbane is Teresa Gambaro or if that's not your particular electorate you can find your local Federal Member of parliament here.

My local member is Malcolm Turnbull and I have written to him before but that was about LCT. Might ask him why our ADR's make us the dumb country. :mad:

p.s These restrictions would apply to Lucy's Model S too. :wink:

Last edited:
Reading over this whole thread the common theme is lack of communication by Tesla. Update issue for some models - broadcast update email to those owners too hard ? What's with Homelink - why such a mystery -- what's so wrong with sharing some truth ? Summon feature - again, why are we left to speculate and scan media articles and archives. Tesla is a strange organisation, they gain loyalty from a unique and impressive products, but seem to squander trust with very poor external communications. The latter is not as costly to facilitate. For my own company I have people scanning forums like this and social media to proactively respond to concerns and down trending sentiment. I half suspect Tesla don't read this forum, but if they do I'll await a response to my observation. Challenge set !
Absolutely spot on.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I suspect, having had my Model S for only 8 weeks now, that if given the option of returning my car because it has no Web Browser or Summon or etc, no questions asked, here's a full refund my man, etc; that I would refuse the offer.

We are early users (some earlier than others) of a technology that will change this world as it must be and I just dig being part of it. If the experience was totally smoothly and unproblematic - I don't know, I might be just a little disappointed. Know what I mean?

Yes, Revolution takes time, blood, sweat etc. So write away, talk away but above all keep smiling. Tesla!

The Law Is an Ass:

1. Does the law require Tesla to disable web browsing? But you can velcro a 4g iPad Pro to the centre screen and watch YouTube as you drive.

2. Does the law require Tesla to disable Summon on private property? But you can get your unlicensed 12 year old to put the car in and out of the garage for you on your own property.

This is not to say there are ways of getting around the law. This is to say that the law is not keeping up with technology. The SMART cars of today are being held back by the dumb laws of yesteryear...

I reckon the head of the Road Rules in Australia, or State RMS, or Minister for Transport or someone, should be empowered to consider each new feature on its merits (eg Tesla web browser, Tesla summon feature) and after considering all arguments and taking an equitable and balanced view, should be able to issue the manufacturer with a licence that allows the feature, irrespective of any other general law that may prohibit it... This ain't rocket science you know...

Ok. I had a perpendicular park initiate then abort today. It was a tight spot and decided to test the system. On private property with cars parked on the opposite side of the road. The P showed up, I put it in reverse and told it to start. It went back about a quarter of the way, and was overlapping the car on my left by a lot. It proceeded slowly then tentatively, then simply gave up and message said aborted or something similar. I took over and got it in manually with a bit forward and backing. I have to wonder how it will do at St Leonard's. When things are really tight, is when you need it. If there was all the room in the world to swing, why would you want the car to do it for you?

The Law in this area is NOT an Ass

1. Does the law require Tesla to disable web browsing? But you can velcro a 4g iPad Pro to the centre screen and watch YouTube as you drive.

In that case, it's the person doing the velcroing who's an ass, not the law. I have worked in this area (managing a roll-out of laptops in service vehicles), and the authorities are quite happy for a Web browser to be installed as long as there is an interlock to prevent it being used when the car is in motion. This seems entirely reasonable to me.

Given that the Model S is mainly controlled by software, implementing such an interlock would be straightforward, but Tesla won't do it. So I blame Tesla, not the law.

I suspect that Tesla won't let us use a browser as they are trying to avoid heavy data fees being charged by Telstra, which to all intents and purposes has a monopoly (because it is the only network with anything approaching nationwide coverage). This was an issue that confronted me when I was managing my mobile computing project.

The Law Is an Ass:

no that would be a breach of the following Search demerit point offences - Demerit points - Safety rules - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

TV & VDU (VIDEO DISPLAY UNITS)
Drive vehicle with TV/VDU image visible to driver
$3193 Road Rules 2014
Rule 299 (1)(a)
Drive vehicle with TV/VDU image visible to driver (school zone)
$4254 Road Rules 2014
Rule 299 (1)(a)

and in Queensland "Driving vehicle when image from television or visual display unit visible to the driver or likely to distract another driver Queensland Road Rules—Section 299(1)3 $157"means driving a Tesla or any other vehicle that has a Visual Display Unit in against the rules! HA.

no that would be a breach of the following Search demerit point offences - Demerit points - Safety rules - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

Drive vehicle with TV/VDU image visible to driver
$3193
Road Rules 2014
Rule 299 (1)(a)
Drive vehicle with TV/VDU image visible to driver (school zone)
$4254
Road Rules 2014
Rule 299 (1)(a)

Perhaps that explains why Tesla has disabled FLASH.... But the same point is made regarding web browsing... Just not videos... Right?

In WA, the law is that only screens used as "driving aids" are permitted to be visible to the driver. This allows GPS and (more broadly) the dispatch systems in taxis.

The utility where I worked also got an exemption for the system it used to notify technicians of faults and maintenance jobs coming up. While on the move,they were limited to a single keypress to say they accepted or rejected the job.

Our screens were on a swivel with a sensor that switched off the browser when the screen was pointed towards the driver, but allowed it on when swivelled towards the passenger side. This allowed the second crew member (where present) to go into job details and do data entry.

It looks like this is regulated at a state level, so another reason Tesla may be reluctant is the effort and expense of getting approval, especially for the smaller states.

and in Queensland "Driving vehicle when image from television or visual display unit visible to the driver or likely to distract another driver Queensland Road Rules—Section 299(1)3 $157"means driving a Tesla or any other vehicle that has a Visual Display Unit in against the rules! HA.
So, we have two vdu's already!

- - - Updated - - -

In WA, the law is that only screens used as "driving aids" are permitted to be visible to the driver. This allows GPS and (more broadly) the dispatch systems in taxis.

The utility where I worked also got an exemption for the system it used to notify technicians of faults and maintenance jobs coming up. While on the move,they were limited to a single keypress to say they accepted or rejected the job.

Our screens were on a swivel with a sensor that switched off the browser when the screen was pointed towards the driver, but allowed it on when swivelled towards the passenger side. This allowed the second crew member (where present) to go into job details and do data entry.

It looks like this is regulated at a state level, so another reason Tesla may be reluctant is the effort and expense of getting approval, especially for the smaller states.
Another good reason to get rid of the states and institute a system like Canada, with provinces, or similarly, South Africa.