Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"70" reg crew

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following Neilio's various posts since he first showed an interest in Tesla. Having owned other premium brands with a premium customer experience he quite rightly expected a lot for +£50k I had a sneaking feeling he was never really going to be happy with the sometimes flaky 'Tesla experience'. I haven't given my referral code to friends who show a vague interest either, for similar reasons, even though myself and my Daughter (had an S, owns an X & reserved a Cybertruck) have been totally satisfied. There's always that niggling doubt about what might happen....

Even if this mess isn't actually caused by Tesla, he had already expressed enough concerns to suggest to me that owning a Tesla might not be for him - it must be a difficult decision to reject once he's actually tried the car & I respect that.

Great product, bad Customer Service. I'll have to be clear with friends when I recommend Tesla.

To be honest, apart from fobbing me off with the "FSD will work once the cameras have calibrated " lie not much seems to be Teslas fault with my current woes. Turns out WeVee/Lex didn't pay for the FSD that I'm paying them for. As far as I know they still haven't. Nothing Tesla can do about that. They aren't going to give me a £6800 option just in good faith. Also, apart from the speaker grill being loose and the wonky rear number plate build quality is actually better than I expected. Its not up to European standards for a pricey car but its a damn site better than the Camaro hire car I had last year in LA. That thing had more squeaks and shakes than anything. The simple fact of the matter is, I'm not getting the car I'm paying for. It looks like its not going to be resolved quickly too so I don't really have a choice but to send it back.

Well if you are happy except for the lack of FSD I would say keep the car but take it up with the lease company. At least you know it's something that can be turned on once payment has been made.

It is early days - feels like ages to you but 4-5 days is not a terminal amount of time. In this situation, you need to find a route into lease company where you are getting someone who has authority - step 1. State your case clearly and set a deadline for resolution (be fair, give them some time). Suspect you are already considering/doing this.

Forget chasing Tesla, focus all efforts on lease company. It isn’t acceptable, but it can be sorted. It is highly unusual and almost sounds like lease co don’t have any procedure in place with Tesla to “software correct” an order that they ballsed up.

See if you can find another route into lease co that resets the conversation and don’t lose heart just yet. Keep us posted, we’re all hoping you get to a satisfactory outcome :)

I agree with this line of though. Focus your energy and anger on the lease company.

To be honest, apart from fobbing me off with the "FSD will work once the cameras have calibrated " lie not much seems to be Teslas fault with my current woes. Turns out WeVee/Lex didn't pay for the FSD that I'm paying them for. As far as I know they still haven't. Nothing Tesla can do about that. They aren't going to give me a £6800 option just in good faith. Also, apart from the speaker grill being loose and the wonky rear number plate build quality is actually better than I expected. Its not up to European standards for a pricey car but its a damn site better than the Camaro hire car I had last year in LA. That thing had more squeaks and shakes than anything. The simple fact of the matter is, I'm not getting the car I'm paying for. It looks like its not going to be resolved quickly too so I don't really have a choice but to send it back.

Reading through all this it seems like your dispute is with the lease company. They are charging you for a feature on their car which you don’t have.

It may be worth setting out to the lease company in writing that unless this is resolved within 10 days and FSD is provided by them on their car you will terminate the lease agreement as the goods are not as described in your contract with the lease company (assume you have something from the lease company noting that self driving is part of your order). I’d leave Tesla out of this as they are not a party to your contract.

Rather than you reject the car through Tesla 7 day process look to reject it through your lease with the lease company as this is more likely to give them a problem. Obviously this somewhat depends on your cancellation rights within the lease agreement but I would have thought it would focus the minds of the lease company.

Reactions: Neilio and ElRey
Having followed the ongoing saga of Neilio I can only sympathise with his predicament.

I somewhat agree that he should return the car. What I would disagree on is giving up on Tesla totally. It is plain to see, from all of the supportive postings, that forum members are anxious to convince him to stay with a product that they know will ultimately give him much pleasure. It would be a shame for him to miss out on what we all, IMHO, think is a great automobile. If he has the time and patience maybe returning the car to Tesla and going through the purchasing process again may be the best, if not an ideal, solution.

Having followed the ongoing saga of Neilio I can only sympathise with his predicament.

I somewhat agree that he should return the car. What I would disagree on is giving up on Tesla totally. It is plain to see, from all of the supportive postings, that forum members are anxious to convince him to stay with a product that they know will ultimately give him much pleasure. It would be a shame for him to miss out on what we all, IMHO, think is a great automobile. If he has the time and patience maybe returning the car to Tesla and going through the purchasing process again may be the best, if not an ideal, solution.
Yeah this is where I'm at. I'm not giving up on Tesla, and I do love the car I'm just really soured by the whole thing. I'll probably still lease as it works out the most cost effective for me. Just with a different company! I still also have my cybertruck deposit and I'm not going to cancel that.

I'm just bummed that if I have to return it, it's another 3 months of looking at the shipping thread and waiting.

Couple more quick updates for those collecting re: Supercharging - all worked perfectly first time, showing billing amounts in the car each time, plus the History table has been added to my (lease) Tesla account, showing full charge/payment details already, and have the correct pending charges against my registered debit card showing on internet banking. So all working nice and smoothly.

Reactions: Neilio
Couple more quick updates for those collecting re: Supercharging - all worked perfectly first time, showing billing amounts in the car each time, plus the History table has been added to my (lease) Tesla account, showing full charge/payment details already, and have the correct pending charges against my registered debit card showing on internet banking. So all working nice and smoothly.
Thats good news RE supercharging. Looks like they are getting more seemless with things like leasing now.

To add in regarding supercharging - I had read in several places that it was free on the day of pickup (unless I misunderstood) - I can confirm that at least in my case it wasn’t.

I had to stop at a supercharger about 3 hours after collecting the car and would of been charged for it - but it used my referral miles instead.

Yeah this is where I'm at. I'm not giving up on Tesla, and I do love the car I'm just really soured by the whole thing. I'll probably still lease as it works out the most cost effective for me. Just with a different company! I still also have my cybertruck deposit and I'm not going to cancel that.

I'm just bummed that if I have to return it, it's another 3 months of looking at the shipping thread and waiting.
I tend to think returning the car is probably the only leverage you’re going to have, if WeVee/Leaseplan aren’t going to sort it very quickly. Based on how long you’ve been trying to sort it already then you’ll go past the 7 day deadline otherwise.

Trying to unpick the active finance contract that has FSD loaded onto it, getting the cost of FSD removed, plus the interest, plus compensation, etc sounds like a massive amount of grief and you’ve already established how difficult it is to get answers out of them. And, as you’ve said, you actually want FSD and presumably don’t want to buy it outright, so even if they manage to do that you’re still going to end up in a different position than you wanted to be.

At the end of the day they’re in breach of contract as they have provided a car substantially different (in cost terms) to what you specced.

Sounds like a total nightmare.

Reactions: Neilio
Can’t believe I’m saying this but bar one very minor scratch I have a defect free car.

Literally spotless except from dust from the travel.

That’s really good to hear. We seem to read a few posts that are troubling and jump to the conclusion that ours is likely to be terrible etc etc. I’m just the same, I’ve had a brilliant experience over the last 3.5 years with my Model S, and read many accounts of equally happy customers.

However, I can’t help but be incredibly nervous that my new Model S, that I’m picking up at 4PM from Dartford today is going to be a disaster. :confused:.

I ended up being nervous too that I was going to end up either with loads of defects or broken down on the m8 outside Edinburgh after reading the growing number of posts from people that had recently picked up...

Can honestly say mine is perfect (bar a barely noticeable scratch on the back of the passenger seat plastic that’s about 5mm long - while it’s annoying since I found it and I know it’s there, I’m happy to ignore it as it’s not worth the hassle As I see the only way to fix it is to replace the plastic backing of the seat and i can’t be arsed with that).

It was pouring when I picked it up so just did a quick check of the outside paint and panels which all looked fine (I will say the 50+ other m3s I walked past in the car park at Edinburgh that morning I also didn’t notice anything wrong with) and after a much thorough check yesterday when it was finally dry all I found were a few tiny bits of masking tape that were left on the trim after shipping.

While some are obviously unlucky - for those still waiting to collect - it’s definitely worth remembering that for every bad experience we see posted there’s probably many more excellent experiences from people who aren’t posting here.

Reactions: M3-Newbie and DJP31
Can honestly say mine is perfect (bar a barely noticeable scratch on the back of the passenger seat plastic that’s about 5mm long - while it’s annoying since I found it and I know it’s there, I’m happy to ignore it as it’s not worth the hassle As I see the only way to fix it is to replace the plastic backing of the seat and i can’t be arsed with that).

Removing the back of the seat is a 5 min job and easily something a mobile ranger could do if you did want to get it addressed.

Reactions: Alistairuk
To add in regarding supercharging - I had read in several places that it was free on the day of pickup (unless I misunderstood) - I can confirm that at least in my case it wasn’t.

I had to stop at a supercharger about 3 hours after collecting the car and would of been charged for it - but it used my referral miles instead.

I did 2 SC sessions on the day of collection. The first didn't get deducted from my referral amount but the second did. The first was done before the app became operational so this is possibly when the SC is free.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Posts like this are very encouraging. Let's not only hear the bad experiences.

4 more sleeps. Or should I say 3 as the last night is likely to be spent starring at the bedside clock.
That’s really good to hear. We seem to read a few posts that are troubling and jump to the conclusion that ours is likely to be terrible etc etc. I’m just the same, I’ve had a brilliant experience over the last 3.5 years with my Model S, and read many accounts of equally happy customers.

However, I can’t help but be incredibly nervous that my new Model S, that I’m picking up at 4PM from Dartford today is going to be a disaster. :confused:.

I did the same. I was nervous all night and up at 4am worrying it’d be a bag of spanners but it’s great.

my only gripe is that it had 30% battery but I’ve nipped to the local ionity chargers in Baldock as they’re free.

Removing the back of the seat is a 5 min job and easily something a mobile ranger could do if you did want to get it addressed.

While washing the mud off it today I noticed that the little black triangle thing on the front right of the car (where a light probably is on another model) is loose - the one on the left isn’t so i stuck a service request in for that and added the seat chip - will see what they say - hoping they’ll do mobile service as will be a pain in the ass to take it over to Edinburgh for a few minute fix!

I tried looking behind it to see if I could see how it’s attached to the car but can’t feel or see any clips - so if anyone knows how it’s attached and if this is fixable yourself I’d love to know :)

Last edited: