Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"70" reg crew

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up being nervous too that I was going to end up either with loads of defects or broken down on the m8 outside Edinburgh after reading the growing number of posts from people that had recently picked up...

Can honestly say mine is perfect (bar a barely noticeable scratch on the back of the passenger seat plastic that’s about 5mm long - while it’s annoying since I found it and I know it’s there, I’m happy to ignore it as it’s not worth the hassle As I see the only way to fix it is to replace the plastic backing of the seat and i can’t be arsed with that).

It was pouring when I picked it up so just did a quick check of the outside paint and panels which all looked fine (I will say the 50+ other m3s I walked past in the car park at Edinburgh that morning I also didn’t notice anything wrong with) and after a much thorough check yesterday when it was finally dry all I found were a few tiny bits of masking tape that were left on the trim after shipping.

While some are obviously unlucky - for those still waiting to collect - it’s definitely worth remembering that for every bad experience we see posted there’s probably many more excellent experiences from people who aren’t posting here.

I picked mine up yesterday too in Edinburgh & it was fab experience - so easy and I did have a few questions as I hadn’t test driven one or even driven electric and was heading on a long drive immediately and can echo @mrobins64495 feedback that everything was perfect!

some little pieces of adhesive residue on the outside and inside where I assume some sort of protection was attached for shipping but I’m fine to work on those.

The car has been a pleasure - I’ve had some premium hire cars (and awful one!) during lockdown and the adjustment into this Tesla was so seamless and effortless its leagues ahead of the others in so many ways (plus its mine to keep!) but I have only great things to say about my delivery consultant Natalie, the team in Edinburgh and the car itself - 5 stars!

@elray and @DJP31 i Also went in concerned after reading these threads and left delighted so - take in the advice and be aware of potential issues I’d say - forewarned is always forearmed - but I think things are improving a lot and aside from a FSD-gate above which is a lease co issue there aren’t any serious problems in this thread or the recent ones I’ve read while glued to this website waiting!

happy waiting and even more happy collections!! :)

So after a day using the car to go to the beach, pop into local town, pop out to get some bacon from the farm shop and pop over to local pizza takeaway, here’s my snagging list so far.

Rattling rear left door card - definitely needs sorting out, might just do it myself.

Lesser rattle rear left shelf area - might be a bit harder to track down/fix

Very minor/intermittent buzzing drivers side B pillar - probably won’t worry about it

Left headlight not aligned quite as well into bodywork lines/gaps as right side. Not severe enough to worry about - 2mm

Both rear outer taillights are not quite evenly aligned, same as above - no bother. 1mm

Very minor indentation left side of dash top (the black plastic flat section). Will just photo for lease company, not bothered.

Some very minor sticky tape residue - detailed will sort out in a few weeks when it gets ceramic.

So all in all, its the 2 interior rattles.

Some other thoughts :

Handling - it’s not the most natural handling car I’ve had but seriously addictive go-kart like behaviour and settles down really nicely on a steady motorway cruise - like it.

Ride - Pretty competent, struggles a bit with our awful local roads but soaks up motorway/a-road surface changes and undulations very icely - like it.

Performance. Goodness only knows what the Performance model is like as the LR is savage enough. I lovd my M3 and CSL, 335d, golf R32s, Impreza WRX and even going back to old Alfa V6’s. They were all great cars. We just got wife’s new car - a 14 plate Audi S3 which is rapid. None of them are even close to the LR, it’s laugh out loud enjoyable and really flexible waves of torque where you can build speed uphill like nothing I’ve experienced before. Stunningly good. Like it. A lot.

Practicality/Comfort - everything I need, plenty of room for a lanky driver and the wife, the boot is huge for this class of car and frunk tops it off. Seats excellent, had some reservations with no extendable leg bolster but it’s all good - the natural driving position helps with overall support. Front section of glass roof I found a bit annoying with sun glare as I sit quite far back, but the sun shadE accessory sorts that out whilst still letting some light through.

Design - love it. It’s like being in the future and completely relaxing. Proper example of a product design brief with no compromise or deviation.

Materials - They don’t match your perception of what we are used to being told 55k buys - but you know what, all the interior is soft-touch and it’s all really great. No complaints at all - it’s just different to what the Germans do. Once I have the 2 rattle areas fixed, job done.
P.s. invest in decent full-fit weather proof mats, the slightly cheap carpets will thank you for it.

Tech - the screen, nav, features and excellent audio system are totally intuitive, high quality and easy to operate. Games etc am not really bothered with but the overall tech package is well thought through and you don’t need to be only into Tesla to understand it. Accessible and good user experience. Wireless charging flawless and TACC has worked perfectly for me.... so far ....

Everyone that’s walked past the car today has stopped, stared, pointed and generally been jaw on floor, it’s a real talking point and people are genuinely interested in the whole concept.

Charging has been simpler than going to the petrol station. All I asked for before collecting was this side of the package to be flawless and so far so very good indeed.

Collection experience - very average but they had prepared the car well and there was nothing on a static inspection that I would have bothered mentioning to them. Will log the minor issues above but it’s just those damn rattles spoiling a 10.5/10 score so far.

Overall = 9.5/10.

Interesting report thanks for that.
You seem to be looking for tight millimetre tolerances there - is that reasonable for an American car - surely they're built to the nearest inch aren't they?
As for rattles, that gets me worried inasmuch as me being deaf means I might accept a car that rattles like a proverbial donations collecting tin and never find out about it until I have a passenger in the car.

Am not expecting the tolerance to match a certain level - just accepting that a conversation over a few mm on a Tesla is pretty pointless when everything else is so acceptable.

Wife’s Audi is mm perfect outside and in, the build on that car is outstandingly good.

But it would get smoked by mine mwhaahahaha

Well it was an interesting pick up this afternoon at Dartford, in comparison to 3 years ago. No fancy reveal, but much better organised and the seamless way the handover was handled was impressive. As an existing owner I didn’t need any help with familiarising myself and the auto calibration message on the drive home was helpful. Inside 10 miles and I was on autopilot.

The app was working within 30 minutes, and 3 emails received confirming the lease payments and premium connectivity trial etc.

I’ll be giving the car a wash tomorrow but a fairly thorough inspection reveals maybe a handful of small paint chips. A couple on the boot lid I maybe can’t live with, and the Tesla rep agreed they’d be sorted if I so wish.

Here’s a hastily taken pic;

E828B7B8-36D0-42C4-8169-13982724614C.jpeg

I am supposed to fill the registration form online. Buying through company, cash payment(need to be 100% write off year 1). Anyone has experience for what needs filling here so my name and Co name is on the V5c?
A little confused between the difference between the owner and registered keeper in relation to this form. Or do I need to speak to them on the phone?

Any help guys will be appreciated. Delivery on 15 Sept in Leeds... Excited and worried at the same time from battery day on 21st

Here is the form
Screenshot_20200905_210338.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: MadScientist
Drove my new M3LR down to London yesterday - fantastic drive on the motorway however there were 3 cases of phantom braking (all involving bridges), it does make you on edge when there's someone behind you!

Pulled into Park Royal supercharger on the way into London, 2 mins later another BU70 plate pulls up. We get chatting and it turns out he picked up on the same day and same time in brum as I did! Small world. We were discussing how awesome our LRs are. They really are fantastic cars.

The wait is totally worth it. :D

Can you return a lease car under the Tesla 7 day rule? Wouldn’t you be returning the car to the lease company and be bound by whatever their return / rejection policy is?
So here is the latest. You're all correct the 7 day rule doesn't count as it's a error of the leasing team.

I have been "promised" (which is beginning to seem like a Boris Johnson style promise) that WeVees actual lease company (Lex auto lease) are going to raise the purchase order they should have raised 4 months ago in order to actually pay Tesla for the FSD. Although i've been promised a lot of things by WeVee in the past week and not any of it has got me any further to the software I signed for. If they can raise the purchase order today and send it to Tesla that's fine. At least then Tesla will know I've purchased it and I will know we are moving forwards.

Sadly, as it stands, I have no evidence and absolutely no faith that they have/will do this. I have started looking into how to terminate an agreement when you don't get the product you signed up for.

So here is the latest. You're all correct the 7 day rule doesn't count as it's a error of the leasing team.

I have been "promised" (which is beginning to seem like a Boris Johnson style promise) that WeVees actual lease company (Lex auto lease) are going to raise the purchase order they should have raised 4 months ago in order to actually pay Tesla for the FSD. Although i've been promised a lot of things by WeVee in the past week and not any of it has got me any further to the software I signed for. If they can raise the purchase order today and send it to Tesla that's fine. At least then Tesla will know I've purchased it and I will know we are moving forwards.

Sadly, as it stands, I have no evidence and absolutely no faith that they have/will do this. I have started looking into how to terminate an agreement when you don't get the product you signed up for.

You could always forget the FSD and ask them to reduce the lease cost.

FSD is about as much use as a chocolate teapot in the UK in the moment and I doubt that will change soon. Autopilot is fine for the long relaxing motorway drive.

Reactions: Beady3647
I tend to agree with @tomorrowman, £6,800 basically gives the ability to indicate & change lanes at the moment. Things like stops signs, traffic lights etc are in development in USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand but still a long way from perfection. Random phantom braking continues with both Autopilot & FSD so it's not a completely relaxing experience with either yet.

I tend to agree with @tomorrowman, £6,800 basically gives the ability to indicate & change lanes at the moment. Things like stops signs, traffic lights etc are in development in USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand but still a long way from perfection. Random phantom braking continues with both Autopilot & FSD so it's not a completely relaxing experience with either yet.
I still think it's worth getting now. Eventually the regulations will catch up. When they do the price will be even higher than the very high thing it is right now.