Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$75.00 for a tire rotation!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing it is Tesla, but this is outrageous.

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

I rotate my tires daily and it doesn't cost me anything :rolleyes:

The Complete Tire Rotation Cost Guide, national average is $72........

Take the car to any tire shop they can do it or you can do it in about an hour with a jack, however my hourly rate is a-lot more than $75 so I would just pay it...

When I have done it in the past, I usually wash and wax the wheels and clean the calipers, then it takes me about 2 hours...

Last edited:
In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

Call your local Audi or Lexus dealer and ask them what they charge.

Then spend a few hundred bucks on a floor jack, pancake compressor, air wrench and do it yourself.

Over the last 15 years I have probably saved $2,000 or more doing simple things like that myself rather than paying someone else to do them.

This is like the joke about the customer who complained about the washing machine repairman charging $50 and all he did was turn a screw. “I want an itemized bill,” the customer said. “OK”, said the repairman, and he wrote “Turning screw— 5 cents. Knowing which screw to turn— $49.95”.

When I had annual service for my Model S rotating the tires was included in the price, but when I went just for that I was charged as you were.

Stop complaining and pay the $75, or take your chances with a tire shop that charges less.

This is like the joke about the customer who complained about the washing machine repairman charging $50 and all he did was turn a screw. “I want an itemized bill,” the customer said. “OK”, said the repairman, and he wrote “Turning screw— 5 cents. Knowing which screw to turn— $49.95”.

When I had annual service for my Model S rotating the tires was included in the price, but when I went just for that I was charged as you were.

Stop complaining and pay the $75, or take your chances with a tire shop that charges less.
Any one have any information on when they will offer a maintenance plan for the Model 3?

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Is the Model 3 like the Model S where you simply swap the tires front to back? Or do you need to lift the entire car and do a cross pattern? If it's like the Model S just about anyone should be able to do this at home very quickly. I need to do this soon also.

Tire Rotation is "FREE" at Discount Tire. I also purchase the Road Hazard warranty for the tires, just in case. Small price to pay to get free flat repairs and replacement if it can not be repaired.

They're not free from Discount Tire when it's the factory set of tires like basically every Model 3 out there. Costco is free too... if you bought the tires from them.

Call your local Audi or Lexus dealer and ask them what they charge.

Then spend a few hundred bucks on a floor jack, pancake compressor, air wrench and do it yourself.

Over the last 15 years I have probably saved $2,000 or more doing simple things like that myself rather than paying someone else to do them.
Don't forget a torque wrench. Only use the air compressor for taking the nuts off, unless you have torque sticks, and even then, use one for a lower rating to avoid over-tightening and use the torque wrench to get it right.

And get a jack adapter too, so you don't mess up the underside of the car when jacking with a regular floor jack ..

They're not free from Discount Tire when it's the factory set of tires like basically every Model 3 out there. Costco is free too... if you bought the tires from them.
They don't always check that you bought them there. Last time I had the tires on my Mazda 3 rotated, they did it for free (I wasn't trying to rip them off, they just made the mistake of assuming and then just wanted me out of the bay to get the next customer in). To be fair, I have bought tires there before, but the current tires were bought and installed at Pep Boys (as the particular flavor of tires I wanted was only available there). So YMMV ... but you're only supposed to get free rotation if you bought them there.

Without a lift, I think the very limited jack points make tire rotation quite challenging for a DIYer
So with a lift, there are no concerns with using the lift properly with a Tesla to also avoid damage? Can a lift also not be employed correctly so that I need to “interview” candidate tire rotation shops to make they know how to lift an EV properly?

Reactions: TrumpetTitan

Omg.
Please tell me, we’re not going to see hundreds of threads from new model 3 owners dramatically complaining every time they go to a dealer. ...

They charge by the hour, so I guess your dealer might charge $75 an hour. It is what it is.

If you don’t like it, do it yourself, or go some place else.