Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More typical Tesla changes to irritate their customers, especially right after a EOQ push.
they just screwed people a few months back on the battery pack changes and now performance changes. Smooth move Tesla.
One could argue that this is nothing new. Tesla does this all the time. It's like having an earthquake in California or a heatwave in Arizona. People talk about it, they act surprised, but not really.

If anyone can wait and chooses to buy a tesla before model 3 Release and/or OCT 15 they should only blame themselves.

^^ this! Anyone who buys a Model S today who absolutely doesn't NEED one is just asking for pain. Now is not the time to buy if you want the latest and greatest. This spec bump was done prior to Sunday's Model 3 announcement by Elon. There will be lots more changes coming to Model S/X in the next 6-12 months, not the least of which will be a new interior and possible exterior changes. Perhaps, even a 110 or 120 kWh capacity. And yes, I know Elon said "yak yak yak" about them sticking with 100 kWh but that's just another one of Elon's many deceptions. Fisker EMotion is launching next year with 400 mile range and Audi E-Tron w/ 400+ mile range is coming, too. Tesla will not stand still.

Reactions: FlatSix911
One could argue that this is nothing new. Tesla does this all the time. It's like having an earthquake in California or a heatwave in Arizona. People talk about it, they act surprised, but not really.

^^ this! Anyone who buys a Model S today who absolutely doesn't NEED one is just asking for pain. Now is not the time to buy if you want the latest and greatest. This spec bump was done prior to Sunday's Model 3 announcement by Elon. There will be lots more changes coming to Model S/X in the next 6-12 months, not the least of which will be a new interior and possible exterior changes. Perhaps, even a 110 or 120 kWh capacity. And yes, I know Elon said "yak yak yak" about them sticking with 100 kWh but that's just another one of Elon's many deceptions. Fisker EMotion is launching next year with 400 mile range and Audi E-Tron w/ 400+ mile range is coming, too. Tesla will not stand still.
Audi talks about 500 km according to NEDC wish is below Model X 100D but Fisker E Motion seams to have longer range then Tesla.

I wish Tesla would have at least alerted us folks who just took delivery of our 60/75s that a performance upgrade was in the works. I pray that the software update alone can get us to the high 4s in the 0-60. Or, allow us to pay a small price for the hardware installation at the service center. It's not the end of the world but 1.3 seconds shaved is a lot! I remember when Tesla limited the ludicrous launches and the owners were up in arms. Let's see if we can get enough of the HW2 folks to complain until something is done.

I wish Tesla would have at least alerted us folks who just took delivery of our 60/75s that a performance upgrade was in the works. I pray that the software update alone can get us to the high 4s in the 0-60. Or, allow us to pay a small price for the hardware installation at the service center. It's not the end of the world but 1.3 seconds shaved is a lot! I remember when Tesla limited the ludicrous launches and the owners were up in arms. Let's see if we can get enough of the HW2 folks to complain until something is done.

these complaints are so weird to me. have you people never in your lives bought a computer or phone or other piece of technology? guess what, next month, they always release a better version, and no, they don't upgrade your hardware for free.

you were happy to buy the car at the given performance specs. if you're going to get butthurt every time a company upgrades their product offerings, you are going to spend a ridiculous amount of your life miserable, unless you decided to eschew all materialism entirely.

these complaints are so weird to me. have you people never in your lives bought a computer or phone or other piece of technology? guess what, next month, they always release a better version, and no, they don't upgrade your hardware for free.

you were happy to buy the car at the given performance specs. if you're going to get butthurt every time a company upgrades their product offerings, you are going to spend a ridiculous amount of your life miserable, unless you decided to eschew all materialism entirely.

In my case I bought the car on Thursday and got delivery yesterday. I am not complaining but just a bit disappointed , however I am hopeful that the software changes will help and maybe even a hardware add on will become available. After saying that I love my Tesla already!

I just missed the 4.2 second improvement. It is a state of mind thing.

You've got to be happy with the package when you order, and to decide you'll stay happy with it, no matter whate they do to that same car in the future.

If you order, take delivery, then decide you aren't so happy with what you bought because there are improvements later, you won't enjoy the car and that is unfortunate.

I just got an S75D. It only has 600 miles on it. It is all I thought it would be and more. Sure, quicker is better, but the new improvement in no way diminishes my car.

Once in the past I bought a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. It had 299HP and it cornered like it was on rails (it was the year the car had 4 wheel steering). I installed a kit from Jim Wolfe racing that mainly altered the turbo wastegate dump profile and so significantly increased turbo boost. It took the car up another 100HP. I put my foot into it several times to feel that acceleration and it was oh so satisfying, but I did not use it very often after that. There just aren't that many opportunities. 80mph comes up very quickly in a 400 HP Z, and one is still in 3rd gear.

For me the 5.2 seconds 0-60 is great. Sure I'm still juvenile enough that I'd like 4.2 second 0-60 times but I don't think I'd use the additional acceleration that often. Realistically there just aren't many times when the 4.2 acceleration would be adequate and the 5.2 wouldn't. I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of my great new car.

There is always someone that has it better than someone else. Those that dwell on it aren't ever happy. I plan to stay happy.

Best,
David

Comparing a $100k car that happens every 4-8 years to a $1000 computer or a $500 iPhone is not real

Same here. I ordered 3 weeks ago. Order confirmed 1 week ago and still says it's being scheduled for production.
I'm guessing we will get the new speed increase, however I have noticed another change.

In the configure builder, when you look at the spec it has High Amperage Charger included, whereas my order doesn't mention it. Another standard extra? I'm not sure we will get it.

Also, the configurator no longer lists Premium Centre Console, whereas my order has it.
Cancel your order and place a new one.

I agree. Can you imagine if Elon stated that the Model 3 ( which was quoted by Elon some time ago as coming in sub 6 sec 0-60 ) was coming in at 5.5 second 0-60 and that the base model S was coming in at the same times? How could they ever sell a base model S anymore?

Anywho....It appears that all NEWLY produced model S's have sub 5 second 0-60 times.

they are rolling out new software and hardware improvements that are enabling those performance enhancements.

Since the enhancements include hardware upgrades, those new specs are for new vehicles being built today and not the current fleet.

The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:

• Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:

• Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
The bigger Model X, which is only available with dual motor, is also seeing some new performance enhancements:

• Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds.
It’s another example of Tesla regularly introducing upgrades to its vehicles without waiting for new model year.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been guiding “less than 6 seconds” for the Model 3’s 0 to 60 mph, but that’s only for the base version of the car. It will also feature quicker acceleration for the performance versions, which are expected later.

I am SOOOOOO bummed if this is only for new Model S's. I took delivery of a 75D in December 2016 and my only wish was for the car to be just a tad quicker, especially at higher speeds. the 4.2s literally would have been a dream come true for me. it's heart breaking in a lot of ways to know I missed this by just a few months.
You could trade it in for a new one....right?

Whoaahh... Actually, you might want to wait a min.

The Performance Model 3 is going to have to come in less than the P Model S. I wonder what times the Performance Dual Model 3 is going to come in at? Sub 5 ( the Performance Model 3 is safe to come in anywhere above 4.2 seconds, but below 5 since the Model S is setting the pace.

Last edited:
Wait a Min.

On the Model S
Model 75: 4.3 seconds from 0-60
Model 75D: 4.2 seconds from 0-60

You mean the 0-60 difference between the 75 and the 75D is going to be 0.1 seconds? Who would pay for the D?
Or better question would be - Why would Tesla pay the manufacturing costs for both cars? They will essentially be the same car.

And on the Model X:
75D is going to come in at 4.9 seconds from 0-60
100D is going to come in at 4.7 seconds from 0-60

Where is the 90D going to come in? Must be 4.8 seconds from 0-60 <-----that's the only time slot left. They will all essentially be the same car also.

Right?

I wish Tesla would have at least alerted us folks who just took delivery of our 60/75s that a performance upgrade was in the works.

Quite the contrary is the reality. History has shown Tesla will do everything it can to maximize quarterly deliveries (outside of traditional advertising or pricing campaigns, which oddly they refuse to use). They traditionally have absolutely not warned anyone ahead of anything that could make you cancel a delivery. (This is actually something that other manufacturers in the industry do, future changes are often publicized beforehand. But even when not, at least their annual timing is usually predictable and known roughly.)

This time Tesla didn't even bother to wait a week or two after the quarter-end push for deliveries had ended.

Indeed, the experience is very different from other cars and products where usually you can plan your purchase to a product-release cycle (annual or otherwise). Tesla makes several changes every quarter to their products and uses quarterly changes as demand levers. All this will lead to an unplannable situation for a buyer. Anything can happen at any time and with long delivery times for the product itself, it becomes a game of luck.

I look forward to traditional dealerships and model years one day. Much less stressful.