Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called the service center today and used the term "uncork" and he pulled up a retrofit page that talks about only P85D for a $5000 ludacris package . I kept explaining that I have a 75D and he was quite confused. He says he's not familiar with any 75D battery uncorking.

He recommended I call on Monday to see what they can do. What's strange is as soon as I mentioned the term "uncork" he immediately knew what I was talking about but it was referred to an older upgrade package.

They've probably been software restricting the Model S's to provide longevity to the drive units/batteries...That's why it appears so random and no one can work out who's getting this 'uncorking' benefit.
It is pretty well established that they are software restricting the vehicles both in battery and drive unit output. Differences in fuses and similar parts, excluding the larger rear motor, are minor. This price differentiation allows them to sell me a $75k car that is very similar to a $150,000 car, while they attempt to get larger economies of scale so that they can afford to reduce the price on both to sell yet even more cars. This is common technology industry practice. As is the practice of hacking manufacturers products to get them unlocked. Hence the grey area of warranty issues when hacked products fail.

I don't see this as a reason that the uncorking is so random. The best I can figure is that Tesla is still testing the uncorking and they want a diverse sample of uncorked vehicles to watch battery temperatures, degradation and similar characteristics before a larger rollout. Consequently they selected a first set on very specific criteria. Different drive units. Different batteries. Different altitudes. Different ages of parts. Different driving patterns etc. I don't think Tesla is sophisticated enough to see how many times I ask to be uncorked (five, Elon in case you are counting) and to listen to my calls to see how bugged I sound in order to manage the balance in optimizing price elasticity and margins, but if I were Elon I might. Many express that getting autopilot 2 fixed should be the only thing he works on, but I take the view that he has to make enough money to be able to build autopilot 3 and 4, so I try to be patient.

Yes it reminds me of technology support from twenty years ago. If you don't like the answer you get just keep calling until you get what you want. At some point Tesla will have to create a more refined strategy around uniformity of knowledge merely to reduce the cost incurred by misinformation. Kudos to Tesla for uncorking at all. So many firms only give perks to new customers. I would pontificate but I have to run and call the service center again to ask about uncorking.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Err0r
I agree completely.
To put it perspective you can have for example the Ford Focus RS. It's a powerhouse at 350hp from a 4 cylinder turbo. The tune they released is a steady, comfortable, reliable tune that is perfect for everyone. Ford's racing division has plenty of other tunes you can flash to the ECU and go from 350hp to 370hp in 30 seconds with a programmer and it's still covered under warranty.

It seems like Tesla was comfortable with the current output of the battery and motors and as of recently with the model 3 release they are able to tweak the power output for a more competitive advantage and still maintain its reliability.

It's not looking good for us. I guess we'll be taking an even bigger depreciation hit. Not a something I saw coming. I would definitely have gotten the AWD if I knew they were going to drop a second off of the 0-60. Hopefully the insurance companies will keep in mind that we have the slow Teslas.
Good point. I would not mind not getting the Enhanced Performance if my Insurance Rate can be lowered.
Called the service center today and used the term "uncork" and he pulled up a retrofit page that talks about only P85D for a $5000 ludacris package . I kept explaining that I have a 75D and he was quite confused. He says he's not familiar with any 75D battery uncorking.

He recommended I call on Monday to see what they can do. What's strange is as soon as I mentioned the term "uncork" he immediately knew what I was talking about but it was referred to an older upgrade package.
Why don't you call the SC in Costa Mesa, CA and have them call your SC to explain about the uncorking. That's where I got my uncorking done 2 days ago. Funny, not everyone at the SC knew about the uncorking.

Good point. I would not mind not getting the Enhanced Performance if my Insurance Rate can be lowered.

Why don't you call the SC in Costa Mesa, CA and have them call your SC to explain about the uncorking. That's where I got my uncorking done 2 days ago. Funny, not everyone at the SC knew about the uncorking.
I'm going to try that. I spoke to my SC today and they had know idea what I was talking about. They delivered my car directly to me by truck and owe me a free detailing so I'm dropping my car off next Thursday and will see if I can get them to make a call. I wonder if they just hook it up for diagnostics or something if it would just flag them to do it.

Sounds plausible.

Shipping 85 kWh packs internationally makes sense due to the long delivery times - this let's them time the process closer at home.

Once again too bad for some customers, though.

Also, the Model 3 (long range) does 0-60 in 5 seconds, so they probably wanted to differentiate the low end MS further before the announcement of the Model 3.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Also, the Model 3 (long range) does 0-60 in 5 seconds, so they probably wanted to differentiate the low end MS further before the announcement of the Model 3.

Yes.

Intentionally being vague about Model 3 battery sizes for now seems part of the same plan (partially being vague against the Bolt, partially being vague so as to not steal thunder from Model S/X).

They may of course go for such vague battery labels on Model S/X as well in the future, so they can keep playing their optimization / quarterly change games under the table with less visible changes...

I just called the service center in Costa Mesa and she said I had to access My Tesla in the car to see if the car was available for upgrade. I think she had no clue what she was talking about.

According to the service invoice, Walter Floresguerra was the service advisor. Try to get hold of him. Feel free to reference my Invoice Reference Number. My invoice clearly shows the uncorking was done to my 75D and I have much better performance now.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 2.22.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 2.42.01 PM.png

Last edited:
After reading all this, a thought dawned on me. What if this "uncorking" is simply reflashing some firmware which is not over the air upgradable (such as the DU, back in the day people had to go to the SC to get their top speed unlocked because DU firmware is not upgradable over the air)? This decision to allow this is probably Model 3 related. Maybe all 75D's are capable of this, but Tesla simply doesn't want to plug the SC's with thousands of 75D's coming in for a firmware upgrade, so they told people only cars manufactured after some arbitrary date are eligible?

After reading all this, a thought dawned on me. What if this "uncorking" is simply reflashing some firmware which is not over the air upgradable (such as the DU, back in the day people had to go to the SC to get their top speed unlocked because DU firmware is not upgradable over the air)? This decision to allow this is probably Model 3 related. Maybe all 75D's are capable of this, but Tesla simply doesn't want to plug the SC's with thousands of 75D's coming in for a firmware upgrade, so they told people only cars manufactured after some arbitrary date are eligible?
When I got mine uncorked at SC, they did reinstall firmware 2017.28 c528869 which was already installed in my car. This tells me SC had performed some kind of update then reinstall the standard firmware.