Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a MS75 toady as a service loaner that was manufactured 7/17. It has the standard power meter, but it pegs quickly when I floor it. It feels way faster than my MS75D made in 11/16. Don't know if this is the faster version, just a different feel between 75 and 75D, or all in my head.

Yes, if it was manufactured after June 2017, it's the updated faster model.

I first test drove a non updated 75, and then mine. Huge diff.

Great to hear the last two opinions! I'm looking forward to seeing the difference for myself (test drove an older 75). That power upgrade was definitely a factor that made me jump from 3 to S, without even the benefit of experiencing the upgrade first hand, so I've been wondering if it was worth it.

Great to hear the last two opinions! I'm looking forward to seeing the difference for myself (test drove an older 75). That power upgrade was definitely a factor that made me jump from 3 to S, without even the benefit of experiencing the upgrade first hand, so I've been wondering if it was worth it.

After test driving the non upgraded 75. I was apprehensive in getting the car. I came from a 2015 M3, and my Porsche 911. So I like performance cars. After doing some research, I decided the P85+ was the car for me. After reading every single review regarding performance, I felt it was the right move.. I had a CPO ordered with all the specs I wanted, but then got the 75 for a few overnight test drives, and fell in love the new front bodywork, new generation seats, ultra white interior, as well as AP2. I probably drove my wife nuts not knowing which to pick. Once I found out the 75 had the new performance update, I decided to get the new car.

Not having driven the P85+ before, I decided the first mod regarding handling is the 21" staggered turbine wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It was the same tire I had on my M3, and I loved them. I actually bought the wheels/tires before the car came. It transformed the car. It's actually very neutral, and nimble. I had to get the OEM CF spoiler for aesthetics, and i'll just tint the windows next.

Attachments

• 2G2A2709.jpg
    2G2A2709.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
After test driving the non upgraded 75. I was apprehensive in getting the car. I came from a 2015 M3, and my Porsche 911. So I like performance cars. After doing some research, I decided the P85+ was the car for me. After reading every single review regarding performance, I felt it was the right move.. I had a CPO ordered with all the specs I wanted, but then got the 75 for a few overnight test drives, and fell in love the new front bodywork, new generation seats, ultra white interior, as well as AP2. I probably drove my wife nuts not knowing which to pick. Once I found out the 75 had the new performance update, I decided to get the new car.

Not having driven the P85+ before, I decided the first mod regarding handling is the 21" staggered turbine wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It was the same tire I had on my M3, and I loved them. I actually bought the wheels/tires before the car came. It transformed the car. It's actually very neutral, and nimble. I had to get the OEM CF spoiler for aesthetics, and i'll just tint the windows next.

Very good choice over the P85+ in my opinion. I also love the color combination with the gray turbine.

I took delivery of my car July 17th, but was ordered late April. They said they can upgrade my performance but need me to bring it in. I have an appointment this Saturday at the service center. They said it was a firmware update and would take an hour to complete and an engineer needs to stay with the car during to update to prevent it from going into sleep mode during the upgrade.

@Orangejamal Let us know how this goes today!

From Germany, new inventory cars.
I assume you mean the 3.3 second 0-60/100. Nice catch.

It makes sense that the Performance Update wouldn't just be for the 75s. If Tesla were differentiating the 75s up from the 3 of course they would differentiate the 100s up from the 75s. So in October will we see the new 2.1 second P100D and the 1.9 second P100DMP? Just kidding. Sort of.

Other than using a stopwatch is there a way of seeing that you received the upgrade?
If you run iOS spend $7 on PowerTools. You will get quarter second interval car reported stats. If you send me a runlog I will add it to our group consolidating those logs here. You can get a magnitude more specific data from TM-Spy if you want to buy some cheap hardware and do minor car disassembly to install it. You can spend several hundred on third party testing hardware, the big advantage being that it doesn't rely on the car's own reporting. Or you could go to a dynamometer.

Want to help us out? Here are some things you could do:
  1. Find out the manufacture date of your vehicle. Most Tesla folks can look it up.
  2. Run iOS Powertools before you get uncorked, do a couple 0-60 runs on it to make sure you get a good one. Be aware you have to have cell coverage where you run.
  3. Get your car uncorked and run the test again.
  4. Post here or send me your before and after log files so I can put them in a graph for the forum.
Would love a before and after PowerTools runlog. Even just an after would be nice.
The car is there now. I downloaded PowerTools before heading into the SC this morning and did a run. Based on results, of 4.5s 0-60, it seems it may have already had the additional speed?? They ended up giving me a loner because they said it may take longer than the hour originally quoted.

No sure how to post the log files on here, on see an email address. If you want me to email them to you, let me know.

From Germany, new inventory cars.
This is going to be a pricing and positioning problem for Tesla as the German inventory P90DL is 20.000 Euro more and the same speed with less range. This deserves its own thread. Maybe something with a "Summer Performance Increase" title. @SR-71-BlackBird do you want to start one? I will dig for a minute and see how far back the inventory VINs go and whether the new cars all have any interesting battery changes.

This is going to be a pricing and positioning problem for Tesla as the German inventory P90DL is 20.000 Euro more and the same speed with less range. This deserves its own thread. Maybe something with a "Summer Performance Increase" title. @SR-71-BlackBird do you want to start one? I will dig for a minute and see how far back the inventory VINs go and whether the new cars all have any interesting battery changes.

Pls start one.