Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 60D. For those with a 75D, when you bring up "About My Tesla" screen, is there an option to decrease the performance output to a 70? I was sitting in a showroom MS75 with vin number 199xxx in Toronto last Friday and noticed the option of a MS75D to decrease performance output to a 70, just like what a (P)100D can. Is it a sign when performance output of a 75D can be decreased that it has been uncorked?

That is showroom mode.

...is there an option to decrease the performance output to a 70? ...just like what a (P)100D can. Is it a sign when performance output of a 75D can be decreased that it has been uncorked?
I had never heard of a battery or performance decrease option. I assume that this showroom mode is removed once a car is delivered. Battery unlocking and performance uncorking are unrelated.

Last edited:
The only "evidence" I have is the 5/17 MX75D loaner that I'm currently driving that feels just as fast as the 7/17 MS75 loaner I had just before that. They both felt faster than my own 11/16 MS75D. By the seat of my pants, the 5/17 MX75D service loaner is uncorked, but I have no way to prove it. Sorry I can't help anymore than that. I might ask my SC if they will pull the service records for the 5/17 MX75D loaner when I return it to see if anything has been done to it for uncorking. I will have to see what mine feels like after the MX loaner.

I have never heard of a battery or performance decrease option. Battery unlocking and performance uncorking are unrelated.

When I test drove a P100DL, there was an option to limit the output to a 60D/75D so that I'll get the driving dynamics of what I intended to buy.

So, for those with a 75D (I have a 60D), can you enter "performance" as an access code and reduce the output to a 70?

Last edited:
And the BTX7s have just started appearing in the US. Make me wonder if the BTX7 will be a 350v 14 module, cut down 100.

Maybe people already know this, but I found that if I select each Model S in Design Studio and select Next and then view the page source, all the option codes for the selected model can be found near the "section-options" text. Based on this, these appear to be the current drive units and battery codes:

Model S 75 RWD - DU01, BTX5
Model S 75D - DU00, BTX5
Model S 100D - DU00, BTX6
Model S P100D - DU01, BTX6

So it would seem that the RWD 75 gets the performance rear Drive Unit from the P100D, while the other AWD units get the DU00, plus whatever front drive unit.

I don't see any BTX7 options in any of the current configurations...

Last edited:
I have a 60D. For those with a 75D, when you bring up "About My Tesla" screen, is there an option to decrease the performance output to a 70? I was sitting in a showroom MS75 with vin number 199xxx in Toronto last Friday and noticed the option of a MS75D to decrease performance output to a 70, just like what a (P)100D can. Is it a sign when performance output of a 75D can be decreased that it has been uncorked?

That is showroom mode.

In demo cars you can choose to experience any lower level performance.
So in a 90D you could choose to experience it as a 75D.

My understanding is that this is simply an empty easter egg, and tests indicate that the setting chosen seems to have no influence on the actual power. And like they say in the article below, if you take it literally you can actually add battery capacity and performance if you are really desperate :).

Tesla 'Performance Mode' Easter Egg Lets You Toggle Between Vehicles

PS: There is a "showroom mode" with a secret code but this is meant to keep the car "on" indefinitely in the showroom while preventing it from being driven.

Last edited:
what i really want to know is performance differences between a new drive unit 75D and those pre july. Or at least potential performance between the two. Old drive unit vs new.
Like any of the metrics found here? The drive units are corked well below maximum power. The fact that the old uncorked drive units produce more kW than the new ones makes sense when you consider that the new inverters are more efficient so of course the old units need higher battery output to reach the same 0-60 performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and Bebop
My understanding is that this is simply an empty easter egg, and tests indicate that the setting chosen seems to have no influence on the actual power. And like they say in the article below, if you take it literally you can actually add battery capacity and performance if you are really desperate :).

Tesla 'Performance Mode' Easter Egg Lets You Toggle Between Vehicles

PS: There is a "showroom mode" with a secret code but this is meant to keep the car "on" indefinitely in the showroom while preventing it from being driven.
Any idea what the showroom mode is? I'd definitely want to use it when I leave someone in the car!

@HankLloydRight are you considering adding the BTX7 to EV-CPO?

Umm, do you work on the Teslorian? That was suspiciously fast.

This car has the BTX7 here in the US: Model S 75D 5YJSA1E20HF198372 | Tesla

Anyone near Birmingham want to check out a car for us? We'd really like a cell phone picture of the battery sticker on this car. Tesla claims its in Birmingham but you'd want to doublecheck before going out. @Rocktcity1?, @greglaw?, @N4HHE?, @Ken Sullivan?, @CSPHD?, @pjfranks1509?, @Steepler2k?, @ElectricTundra?

How could it be in Birmingham, AL? There isn't a Tesla service or sales center in Alabama.
upload_2017-8-31_15-0-30.png

I am pretty sure it is but I guess nobody can see it. Sorry to waste the time of the Alabama crowd. Good luck against Florida State on Saturday.

No, you can't request it. Just like you can't ask a lottery ticket vendor to only give you winning tickets. But they do show up after the fact. @HankLloydRight are you considering adding the BTX7 to EV-CPO?

I wasn't implying that you get to choose these options, just that these option codes are the current ones listing for all current new custom builds. That car you listed may indeed have been built when BTX7 batteries were part of the build options. It doesn't show any DU0x option in it's option codes though, which implies being built before the recent change?

And just to confuse things more, if you look at the current source code on the main Model S Design page, BTX7 and BTX8 and a host of other codes all show up, but it's not clear to me in what context...