Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went to tesla to see why the ranger hasn’t called me and they said they’ll do it now. Awesome! Waiting patiently.

Attachments

• 7086C5D7-016E-4327-8901-108E15D7F07F.jpeg
    7086C5D7-016E-4327-8901-108E15D7F07F.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 71
Another update. Turned the loaner in today and picked my 'Cork' up. Adviser elaborated more on the whole Tesla engineers writing more programming for firmware thing. In a nutshell, he said they're trying to write a better update for it so as to not cause anything screwy with cars. Only thing that might validate this is the numerous cases of people's cars' uncorking not taking properly. Other than that, just plain vague. My guy at Fremont is supposed to follow up with me as soon as it's ready so my car can be brought back in.

I'll keep you all apprised.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Went to service center today. Was told (the oft cited) 90 minutes. Instead took 2 hours 15 minutes. Used API and perf is still set for P3 :(. So I guess it didn't "take"? Haven't had a chance yet to do a good power tools run to confirm. Didn't leave SvC until after 5pm. Was commute time traffic so no really sustained accelerations.

I have a few questions:

1) Any guesses as to why sometimes the SvC thinks everything was fine even though it turns out the car was not properly uncorked? They said everything went fine and congratulated me on my uncorking. So obviously they thought it was all good. Wouldn't their equipment show otherwise?

2) Are there any examples here on the board where the API reported perf of P3 but in fact the car WAS uncorked (i.e. the API value wasn't yet updated?). I checked about 6 hours after the supposed uncorking. Didn't know if this get updated right away or if perhaps the vehicle data is only refreshed every 24 hours (or cached for some period of time) or something.

3) How have people who had been told that uncorking did happen convince the SvC that in actuality it didn't 'take'?

Thanks!

Went to service center today. Was told (the oft cited) 90 minutes. Instead took 2 hours 15 minutes. Used API and perf is still set for P3 :(. So I guess it didn't "take"? Haven't had a chance yet to do a good power tools run to confirm. Didn't leave SvC until after 5pm. Was commute time traffic so no really sustained accelerations.

I have a few questions:

1) Any guesses as to why sometimes the SvC thinks everything was fine even though it turns out the car was not properly uncorked? They said everything went fine and congratulated me on my uncorking. So obviously they thought it was all good. Wouldn't their equipment show otherwise?

2) Are there any examples here on the board where the API reported perf of P3 but in fact the car WAS uncorked (i.e. the API value wasn't yet updated?). I checked about 6 hours after the supposed uncorking. Didn't know if this get updated right away or if perhaps the vehicle data is only refreshed every 24 hours (or cached for some period of time) or something.

3) How have people who had been told that uncorking did happen convince the SvC that in actuality it didn't 'take'?

Thanks!

No, P3 = corked.

I would take it back to them and tell them the performance doesn’t seem faster, and the owners API still shows P3. Ask them to show you the P1 performance field and the “Uncorked” PerfAddOn field on the car’s diagnostic screen.

I had my 60D/75D in for uncorking and first year service today.
Uncorking didn't take. I could tell straight away as I've driven an uncorked car. Powertools showed 277kw 0-100kph 5.7
The service team were great and have engineering looking into it over the weekend. I'm pretty sure it was done correctly as their service is outstanding and they have performed many uncorkings in the last week or two.
Just wondering has anybody had a similar experience and could it be to do with the car still being listed as a 60D on Mytesla even though it's a 75D on my app? Has anybody had a failed uncorking that could not be resolved at all? Or do they usually work the second time?

To my knowledge all the uncorking that hasn't taken eventually gets resolved. Tesla identified early that they need a good connection to make it work. Also, we know that the firmware has to be reinstalled after the changes in order to implement them. On some occasions the only reason the uncorking hasn't taken has been that the firmware didn't get installed or didn't take. One way to test this is to get Tesla to "push" the latest firmware back out to the car of someone that didn't take. Although unless you are really remote it is probably just easier to revisit the service center.

It might be that the API could report P1 before the firmware install and uncorking was complete, but I don't think the API could report P3 after a successful uncorking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike75d and croman
To my knowledge all the uncorking that hasn't taken eventually gets resolved. Tesla identified early that they need a good connection to make it work. Also, we know that the firmware has to be reinstalled after the changes in order to implement them. On some occasions the only reason the uncorking hasn't taken has been that the firmware didn't get installed or didn't take. One way to test this is to get Tesla to "push" the latest firmware back out to the car of someone that didn't take. Although unless you are really remote it is probably just easier to revisit the service center.

It might be that the API could report P1 before the firmware install and uncorking was complete, but I don't think the API could report P3 after a successful uncorking.

Thanks guys. I guess I’ll be calling the SvC center again today.

In my particular case I did see the firmware (2017.42.a) get installed (technically reinstalled since I already had that version) while I was at the SvC (app told me it was available and then some time later that it was installed). So at least in my case it didn’t “take” for some other (unknown) reason.

I suspect that in these instances, the service tech forgot to inform the mothership that the change was authorized. This should happen completely independent of the vehicle connection. However, the vehicle does report configuration at regular intervals so if the change is not reflected on Teslas side, then they automatically reverse the vehicle config,

Also, they don't need to push the latest firmware. If there is no connection, they can simply redeploy the existing firmware.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike75d
Also, they don't need to push the latest firmware. If there is no connection, they can simply redeploy the existing firmware.
The service center doesn't need to push it but my understanding is that Tesla can "push" it to you to make your car reinstall the latest firmware, possibly saving you a trip to the service center.

• Helpful
The service center doesn't need to push it but my understanding is that Tesla can "push" it to you to make your car reinstall the latest firmware, possibly saving you a trip to the service center.

Correct. Tesla can remotely trigger a firmware redeploy, even with a poor connection (since no download of a firmware image actually takes place). They can also push a new firmware version, but this of course would entail a sizable download.

• Helpful
Couple days back, I saw a notification in the morning for a software update on my app and I scheduled to have it install later that night. My previous version was 2017.38. Later that day, I received another notification for software update which was bizarre since it was already scheduled it install the software. I thought maybe the first one was for 2017.40 but I just ignored it and it ended up downloading the latest firmware, 2017.42. It would be nice to know what version of the software is being pushed prior to installing it.

How do you guys get Tesla to try to repush the OTA firmware? service center asks them? You ask them directly somehow?

I called the SvC and told them it didn’t take. They said I’d need to make another SvC appt. which won’t be until Monday afternoon. The person I was talking to didn’t seem to know anything about trying to first do an OTA reinstall of the firmware to try and trigger the previous upgrade they performed.

The Ranger is working on my car as I type (I'm not watching fwiw). He pushed the patch to my car early this morning and asked me not to apply it. Because my car is in a parking garage with no connectivity, he's going to move it out and said he only needs his laptop and his phone to complete the process. We'll see how it goes.

A software upgrade made this possible.
Here is the latest software update that goes in the opposite direction on performance :cool:
Tesla releases new software update with ‘Chill’ feature to soften crazy acceleration and more

Tesla started releasing a new software update to its fleet this weekend with two new convenience features. The automaker has added a feature to give the option to soften the crazy acceleration of the Model S and Model X and it also pushed another requested feature. Tesla appropriately called the new feature “Chill: a new acceleration”.

It’s a significant change from the automaker’s previous modes called Insane and Ludicrous, which are more geared toward performance. As for “Chill”, Tesla describes the option in the release notes of the new 2017.44 update:

“You can now choose between two acceleration options in your vehicle: Chill and Standard. Chill makes acceleration more gradual – ideal for smoother driving and a gentler ride for your passengers.” While the instant torque is arguably one of the best parts of driving electric, not everyone gets used to it. Therefore, it might prove useful to some.

In order to activate it, drivers can go to Controls > Controls > Driving and toggle to Chill under ‘Acceleration’.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and Mickie