Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally agree with you on the UI and MCU front. I disagree on the embedded front. It seems Tesla has rock solid battery and drive control, the best traction control in the industry, solid security between the main systems, etc. It's just the Linux UX people who seem a bit stretched thin and/or lacking solid goals at the moment.

Yes, THANK GOD, the embedded firmware team isn't the same one working on the UI stuff.

I don't know if it's the Linux UI folks being stretched thin, or being the most junior folks on the software team (GM always used to put junior mechanical engineers on the interiors, because that wouldn't affect safety. And, GM interiors universally sucked and rattled). I think the real issue is that Tesla as a corporation doesn't put any value on the UI. They're all about drivetrains and autopilot.

my thoughts exactly. I spent an enormous amount of time trying to find a way to scroll down my thousands of songs/albums/artists and if you want to find something outside of the "A"s the player is totally worthless. I thought the new search function would help, it doesn't. Also why did they get rid of the the "now playing" menu? My player was playing something but I couldn't find out where it was coming from, probably a glitch but I couldn't confirm it because of the lack of a "now playing" button

And it's not like they don't have the real estate to actually leave the alpha option right were it was. And it's laggy. And it jumps back to the top. And...And...

On a related note, I have moved away from a Sandisk USB key (way too much heat) to a Samsung. Much cooler. The only thing is that it's while and clashed with my black interior, but a good sharpie took care of that. Call it attention to details unlike the UX people at Tesla.

I filed my complaint with Tesla on this too.

I just don't see what they actually improved in the media player at all - except for Streaming stuff - which nobody uses because they certainly have their own solutions. If it ain't broke... Its like they just had some lone engineer code up whatever came to mind with nobody looking at design or testing.

I think I'll just have to revert to Playing from my phone - load all my music files on it. But this is sort of like using a skinny spare tire permanently due their unusable changes. They used to beta test this stuff with people.

other broken things:
  • Doesn't remember your context in USB mode when you change sources and come back. You have to start all over again with your hunting.
  • The whole paradigm of the Music UI is hard to visually parse because they went so minimalist, it takes significant effort to figure out what is what. What controls are they intending you to see and press? It all just a bunch of random lines, glyphs and stuff.
  • Listing out artists in two columns of text is horrible - nobody visually parses text that way. Where did the album cover art and artist art go?
  • Selecting your specific phone in phone mode appears broken. You tap it and it does nothing. Bad UI.
  • The back button "<" at the top left of the player has a very narrow hit zone make it tough to tap.

• Informative
Reactions: BEEZR and David29
I played around on 8.0 last night after our Model S updated yesterday; the first thing I did was check out the media player, which we all know has the potential -- thanks to the 17 inch display -- to be a fantastic piece of software with an industry-leading interface.

The 8.0 media player is really frustrating. It's simply not designed to be seriously used by someone operating a car.

I can't comment on the frustration that others have with listening to music on USB devices, as my wife and I primarily use the media player to listen to the radio -- a mixture of AM, FM, and XM channels. Here's what I've discovered:

1. While we finally have the ability to store more than 6 'favorite' channels, it's impossible to re-organize any of these "favorites" in anything but the order that they were entered. (They do automatically self-sort into 4 categories, presented in this order: AM, FM, XM, and Streaming. So I guess that's a victory for the lone AM traffic-and-news station I listen to on occasion.)

But it's impossible to reorganize any of these channels (within their specific category) after you've made them a 'favorite'. I'd love the ability to just press and drag each "favorite" channel icon to reorganize our favorites, and create a mixture of different sources (rather than presenting them in separate categories).

One of the reasons I want this ability is because my wife and I have different tastes in music, and without the ability to tie in these favorites to an individual driver profile (my #1 feature request -- it would be so great if media and nav preferences were stored in driver profiles!), I just want to be able to "swipe" across a list of my wife's favorite channels to get to my "favorites" list.

My workaround was to carefully enter each channel we wanted (in reverse order, because the last channel I entered would show up as our #1 favorite on the list). But I dread the day we want to 'add' a channel favorite, which means if I want to keep it organized, I'd have to wipe out all of our favorites in that category and start again from scratch.

I can't believe our magical electrical supercar is this dumb when it comes to creating a list of favorite channels.

2. As so many have noted, the XM channels are unlabeled on our favorites list, so you only get the title of the channel when the channel itself is selected and playing.

There's also, as far as I know, no easily available screen that shows a "master list" of labeled XM stations. Instead, the channels seem to be organized in an index that's based on categories (to find a list of rock stations, for example, you have to hunt for the "rock" category, tap, and then make your selection).

But if I have a specific station number that I want to get to that I had never listened to before (for example, XM Channel 117), the only way to navigate to this channel without going through categories is to tap an arrow 117 times to get to this channel. (But there must be an easier way, right? Power users, please let me know if I'm missing something super-obvious. Maybe voice commands would solve this issue?)

It was getting late, but I do remember a moment where I was swiping around (this interface is all about swiping around) and found a list of XM channels that were displayed as icons -- one that would require a lot of swiping to get through -- but the system, in my opinion, would be so much easier to browse using a simple list that shows channel number, channel name, channel category, and currently playing (for example: 20, E Street Radio, Rock, "Thunder Road").

3. Media source selection missing from instrument cluster -- this function needs to be brought brought back with the next update. It's simply so much easier and, more importantly, *safer* to make this change from the steering wheel, while keeping your eyes forward, rather than averting your eyes to the 17" display if you want to switch from AM to XM or whatever-to-whatever.

Reactions: BEEZR
I know you said that sarcastically, but even for those who believe that's true, it's only true for computers and phones but not cars. When driving and you take a fraction of a second glance at the screen, you're better off having a button icon or some skeumorphism to give a visual clue. At least I am. Also my 60 year old eyes really have a problem with the thin typeface and grey text on white background. I have to concentrate harder when looking at it, and that's not a good thing when driving. Between these UI changes and the emphasis on streaming music over USB (usually ripped from CD collections) it seems that Tesla is designing the firmware for a market that is younger than the average age of most Tesla owners I know.

^^ this. The new UI was designed as if it was meant to be used on a desktop and not in a vehicle. When you are driving and need to interact, you want visual indications of what is actionable, what is not, and you don't want to spend precious seconds figuring things out. It should just be obvious. Version 6.X was very obvious, everything was big, and it was comfortable. Not so with version 8.

I posted above, but driving home again... I'm just *furious* with this crap media player change. Dammit I don't want to use my phone to play music.

Try searching for "Coldplay". You get a bunch of options: some songs, albums etc. You cannot tell what the source is for the stuff. If you have the media player maxed out on the screen, and you tap one of the choices, the "source" doesn't change to reflect what you're listening to. Took me a while to figure out that it wasn't searching my USB and was only playing streaming channels.

I'm sitting here playing with my iOS 10 features and I'm generally delighted. Tesla, learn something.

Contact | Tesla

In the "topic" drop down menu, choose "Owner feedback."

I actually got an email response that essentially said "Thank you for your comments about USB playback in 8.0. We can't guarantee that your complaint will be fixed, but it has been noted." So someone is reading them at least. If they read enough of them maybe we can make something happen
Thanks! I submitted my comments.

I sent Owner feedback about putting back the alphabet shortcut too.

By the way, V8.0 is somehow messing up many USB music player Vietnamese vowels. It just displays many Vietnamese vowels as a vertical rectangle with an X inside (file names, songs, artists, albums..) It was perfect with all Vietnamese vowels in V7.1.

mHS0GBk.jpg

Reading this is very discouraging. I have not yet received the v8.0 update, and this set of issues certainly diminishes my enthusiasm for it.
Doesn't anyone from Tesla ever read these forums?
I noticed Elon is following the TMC Twitter feed (one of 53 he is following) so perhaps TMC could tweet Elon this thread to get his attention. I don't know the right TMC people to tag in this thread but this crappy media player needs to be addressed.

I can also 100% guarantee Elon doesn't have an iPod, pono player, or listen to a large collection of music from a USB stick because if so the media player would never be allowed to suck so bad. Anyone beta testing the software who tried to listen to a large collection of music from a USB stick would have found this situation unacceptable and made some changes before the release. And if they don't have beta testers who actually listen to their own music (as opposed to streaming everything) I volunteer to help beta test on my 3 hours of daily driving.

Seriously, updates to the car are supposed to make things better not worse.

They should take a page from Apple's book and revert the broken new software component until they can fix it -- or possibly forever.

It can be hard to admit you screwed up that badly, but sometimes it's the job of senior people in an engineering organization to reach down past the middle and line managers involved, push the egos aside, and undo broken changes that have hurt customers' ability to use the product.

They removed support for an audio format? I never tried playing WMA files with 7.x -- I don't think I have ever had any.

I confimed it. I had 740 WMA files (along with about the same in mp4 and FLAC). They all used to play - but the WMA wouldn't. I plugged in my stick, and tested 10 or so; none of the WMA would play. I converted them to FLAC, and all played fine.....
I don't think there are a bunch of people who use WMA, but those who do will need to convert.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Reading this is very discouraging. I have not yet received the v8.0 update, and this set of issues certainly diminishes my enthusiasm for it.
Doesn't anyone from Tesla ever read these forums?
Tesla watches these forums very, very closely. In some cases, they know username->realname mappings and will proactively contact you about posts on here.

The problem is that outside of Autopilot, software appears to have really low priority. You can see that reflected in the promises vs. deliveries. For example:
  • Stagnant, sub-par media player essentially untouched for 3 years, then given a superficial makeover to make it worse for some use cases.
  • No third party apps. Promised by end of 2014, then abandoned for...
  • Smartphone integration, or in this case the lack of it. No media access, nothing. Some kind of screen mirroring solution suggested, no word since.
  • Complete visual mismatch between textured instrument cluster speedometer on Classics and flat UI. Promised to be fixed in 7.1, wasn't, and got worse in 8.0.
  • Stupid UI decisions like lane suggestions covering SOC while odometer gets front-and-center treatment.
There are more, but the above are things I consider serious software deficiencies that were either promised and never addressed, or should never have occurred in the first place. I think this pretty clearly illustrates the allocation of the software team. It also worries me that, given the above, they decided to refresh the UI for the second time in a year. I really hope 8.0 was full of foundational changes that just happened to get UI tweaks out of necessity.

I found some new "features" on the media player this morning, as others have stated it appears when your car goes to sleep overnight it "forgets" what songs are on your USB stick so it has to reload them. This process took 25 minutes this morning for my stick with almost 15k songs. My other stick has mostly FLAC files so it has only about 7k and that one took about 7 minutes. All said and done it was over 30 minutes before both sticks were loaded on the media player. This delay will be awesome when I run short errands on the weekends.

I was listening to my USB stick with the FLAC files when I came home the night before, but the songs weren't loaded first thing in the morning so I streamed TuneIn radio for the morning news. Apparently when the USB finally loaded it automatically started playing where it left off the night before, but the "now playing" window showed I was still streaming TuneIn so I was very confused until I realized it was a bug.

So for trips less than 30 minutes first thing in the morning playing music from the USB is worthless, lucky for me I have a 1.5 hour commute so a third of the way into my drive I can listen to some of my music.

If Tesla employees actually read these threads as stated above, feel free to contact me I'd love to help de-bug this mess and beta test future releases so you won't unleash this madness on all owners before problems like these are solved. And yes I'm a MS owner, shareholder, model 3 reservation holder, and would like nothing more than for Tesla to massively succeed. But releasing software with these kinds of functional problems doesn't help the cause.

This has been an ongoing repeating gripe for years covered by dozens or more threads and hundreds or thousands of posts. The consensus is that Tesla won't pay the license fee to Apple to implement iOS.
Quite possibly true. Though, considering there are literal sub-$12k cars that come standard with iPhone integration, I doubt the fee is all that high. Is there a license fee for Android USB integration? Presumably not, and we don't have that either. Back in the old days when manufacturers charged separately for the feature, you could get it added to a BMW and VW for less than $100, and that included hardware modules and labor. Last I heard, the raw fee was about $4 per device (or car, in this case).

I suspect it's more about Tesla not caring to spend any resources on it than it is about a few dollars in licensing fees.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
I tend to use Shuffle on my USB Media so the lack of alphabetical search hasn't really hit me very hard. I imagine that's something they'll add with an update though. It seems like Tesla's MO is to release software, and then add more features later. Otherwise, I think they're on the right track with the layout. It's far easier to use while driving and it's nice not to have to switch screens so much. Overall, it's better, but it's buggy. I know they'll get it fixed. In the mean time I'll try to focus on the stuff that they did right. ;)