Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what you're missing is that Nav, Trip Planner, Media Player (not MP3 player) has been broken for years. The first two are essential driving aids so those of us who have owned the car for a while are baffled by why it would take years to fix those things despite repeated promises. AP is fine but it's not as important to me as getting accurate directions to my destination or knowing which SuperChargers to stop at on my road trip.

Can you clarify the broken part of nav? I drive roughly 140miles a day. Done a couple 1500+ road trips and the Nav hasn't gotten me stranded yet. It should be routing you through super chargers based on your destination.
If you aren't getting the routing through superchargers you may have something turned off or might need to see why your car is not routing you correctly.
I do agree however that AP shouldn't be the only thing but everyone is pre judging let's wait for it to come out before making assumptions on what else is being or not being updated.

If you're watching the road, you generally don't see the visual warning - or at least I don't. I don't choose to ignore it. Maybe it will be more obvious after 8.0.

This to me is why it's hard to interpret what ignore means. Does it mean if I ignore the visual warning, and I only respond to the audible one?

If that's the case even I might have 3-4 audible warnings in an hour, and I'm someone who does generally keep at least one finger on the steering wheel.

I guess we're just going to have to wait to find out. I'll immediately download because the other parts of the V8.0 upgrade I find critical, and will go a long ways in resolving some things I didn't like. The AP is something I only use on road trips which are few and far between.

Can you clarify the broken part of nav? I drive roughly 140miles a day. Done a couple 1500+ road trips and the Nav hasn't gotten me stranded yet. It should be routing you through super chargers based on your destination.
If you aren't getting the routing through superchargers you may have something turned off or might need to see why your car is not routing you correctly.
I do agree however that AP shouldn't be the only thing but everyone is pre judging let's wait for it to come out before making assumptions on what else is being or not being updated.

On my car there are times where the trip planner will break the nav functionality. When I hit my destination the thing will just sit there searching for superchargers in-between. Even if I give it 5 minutes it will still be there searching. I have to turn off the trip planner/range assurance button (the one that says it's in Beta), and then it will work fine. But, then I have to enter the supercharger as the destination.

I've also had it occasionally route me back to the supercharger even though it didn't need to, and I had way more than adequate range to make it to my destination.

As to the nav itself the re-routing for traffic has never obeyed the time savings setting.

For me and many others about 40% of the time it will send us on odd routes through residential areas rather than a direct route that Google Maps, Waze or Apple Maps would use. About 20% of the time it will circle a destination as if it's lost. It might be a geographical problem but since there are several dozen long threads on this problem it's widespread. If you search you'll see. Basically you can't count on it for day to day driving particularly in areas you are not familiar with. Most of us keep our phones handy and just use Waze or one of the other mapping apps. Tesla attributes the issue to the dual mapping overlays (Tesla's Google implementation and Garmin/Navigon). In addition there is no basic functionality such as waypoints or route selection. If you leave the "traffic aware" feature on it can reroute you without letting you know (many times incorrectly).
Nav was one of the apps identified in the "leak" as getting fixed in 8.0 so we will have to see.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
As the owner of a 2016 70D all I care about is more capable and safer autopilot. The rest of the media and navigation gee-wiz can easily be accomplished through my phone with voice commands - as everyone else I know in their 20's and 30's does it.

What my phone cannot do is pilot my car. Thank you Elon for getting your priorities straight and devoting all your resources to what actually matters.

Reactions: mblakele
Doubt it. But why can't we have both?

1 - maybe you can, 8.0 isn't here yet. People have said that several times on this thread. Hold your horses maybe you'll get what you want. 2 - Tesla is accomplishing huge things on a super limited budget - and like anyone who runs a business (do you run a rapidly growing start-up? I have before - and the decisions faced every day by me were how to deploy limited dollars for maximum value) knows, resources are limited.

Also I have built and sold a startup. If there is one thing I learnt, nobody outside of the startup cares about "your limited resources". It's a dog eat dog world, and there is a government motors selling a 238 mile range EV for the price of a model 3. Watch Tesla's stock drop later today. I don't like government motors btw by any stretch. But my emotions don't make a ding in the world of facts.

Also I have built and sold a startup. If there is one thing I learnt, nobody outside of the startup cares about "your limited resources". It's a dog eat dog world, and there is a government motors selling a 238 mile range EV for the price of a model 3. Watch Tesla's stock drop later today. I don't like government motors btw by any stretch. But my emotions don't make a ding in the world of facts.

It should be interesting. The GM/LG (or is it LG/GM?) Bolt is a compelling car. I expect that they will sell a lot faster than even GM is anticipating. It's a positive thing - even for Tesla. There has to be a bottom, middle and top of the market and by having a GM in the less profitable mid/bottom it allows Tesla - with the superchargers and all of the other tech - to stay home in the more profitable middle/upper where the Germans like to sit.

I also expect, before long, that we will see a Chinese EV that sits right at the bottom of the market.

"decent MP3" is like "military intelligence." Something of an oxymoron (no offense intended to the military folks). MP3 itself isn't a decent format (at least if you're a bit of an audiophile). So why would it need a decent player? :p
I think he meant it in a more generic sense like a Meda Player that can play your own music files such as FLAC or even MP3 with adequate features, tags and file structure identification. The player we have now is terrible.

Unfortunately, if you don't keep your hands on the wheel at all times while using AP, you are doing so against Tesla's explicit, written instructions. If the implementation of a requirement to hold the wheel bothers you so much, then perhaps you are among that select group of drivers that is part of the problem Tesla is trying to solve.
The real problem is drivers not paying attention. Tesla implemented the hands on the wheel nag as a proxy for paying attention to the road. In other words, if your hands are on the wheel, you are attentive; otherwise you are not.

The problem is that I keep my hand lightly on the wheel most of the time. My attention is ALWAYS outside. I rarely see the "hold steering wheel" alert on the instrument cluster. Since I hold the wheel so lightly, this happens frequently. The first time I know I am getting nagged is when I get the audible nag. So I tug the wheel, looking at the road at all times.

However, note what this behavior has trained me to do. It has trained me to instinctively tug the wheel. Now I, and I suspect nearly all other AP drivers, are attentive. It would be foolish not to be. The nagging has added nothing to my safety and in fact has taught me to ignore the alert in the rare case it might be telling me something.

On the other hand, apparently there are those who don't pay attention to the road. They are nagged similarly. They are trained to ignore the nag similarly. Nagging does nothing to improve their safety or attentiveness.

This next step if disabling autopilot will initiate a new round of training. I will learn to proactively torque the wheel. Soon this action will be subconscious. Some drivers will still be inattentive after learning this new behavior. What will then be the next nag?

The real problem is drivers not paying attention. Tesla implemented the hands on the wheel nag as a proxy for paying attention to the road. In other words, if your hands are on the wheel, you are attentive; otherwise you are not.

The problem is that I keep my hand lightly on the wheel most of the time. My attention is ALWAYS outside. I rarely see the "hold steering wheel" alert on the instrument cluster. Since I hold the wheel so lightly, this happens frequently. The first time I know I am getting nagged is when I get the audible nag. So I tug the wheel, looking at the road at all times.

However, note what this behavior has trained me to do. It has trained me to instinctively tug the wheel. Now I, and I suspect nearly all other AP drivers, are attentive. It would be foolish not to be. The nagging has added nothing to my safety and in fact has taught me to ignore the alert in the rare case it might be telling me something.

On the other hand, apparently there are those who don't pay attention to the road. They are nagged similarly. They are trained to ignore the nag similarly. Nagging does nothing to improve their safety or attentiveness.

This next step if disabling autopilot will initiate a new round of training. I will learn to proactively torque the wheel. Soon this action will be subconscious. Some drivers will still be inattentive after learning this new behavior. What will then be the next nag?
It sounds like you're the perfect example that illustrates Elon's point about experienced AP drivers and accidents. Not that you are not paying attention but you have learned to circumvent the controls.

It sounds like you're the perfect example that illustrates Elon's point about experienced AP drivers and accidents. Not that you are not paying attention but you have learned to circumvent the controls.
How would I be more likely to have an accident? My hands are on the wheel. I am paying attention. What is it I should do that would make me safer?

• Love
Reactions: green1
How would I be more likely to have an accident? My hands are on the wheel. I am paying attention. What is it I should do that would make me safer?
From what you wrote you have learned the behavior to tug the wheel each time you get a nag to kill the nag. From your description it sounds like that is because you aren't holding it firm enough which would proactively eliminate the nag in the first place, correct? Perhaps a slightly firmer hold of the steering wheel even with one hand would be safer than what you're doing. It seems to me that's the intention of the new alerting process. We shall see if that's the case.

From what you wrote you have learned the behavior to tug the wheel each time you get a nag to kill the nag. From your description it sounds like that is because you aren't holding it firm enough which would proactively eliminate the nag in the first place, correct? Perhaps a slightly firmer hold of the steering wheel even with one hand would be safer than what you're doing. It seems to me that's the intention of the new alerting process. We shall see if that's the case.
I am holding the wheel every bit as tightly as I do when I drive a non-AP car. At highway speeds, elbow is on the armrest, fingers are on the wheel, hand moving up and down as I make the turns. How do you hold the wheel, 10-and-2 at all times? I doubt it.

I am holding the wheel every bit as tightly as I do when I drive a non-AP car. At highway speeds, elbow is on the armrest, fingers are on the wheel, hand moving up and down as I make the turns. How do you hold the wheel, 10-and-2 at all times? I doubt it.
Apparently you don't have enough resistance to prevent the nag. I just rest my right elbow on the center armrest/cup holders and hold the steering wheel just firm enough to feel it turning and I get zero nags. I'm guessing it's only slightly tighter than what you're doing.

• Disagree
Reactions: green1