Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 months old USA MYLR7 to UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla do make cars in America for shipment to the UK. All the Model 3 Performance came from Freemont so they must have had the CCS2 charge port fitted from new. It might be something you can source in the USA if you are determined to bring the car here.

The info from phxazcraig is almost perfectly correct, ALL new vehicles in UK and Europe have to have CCS2 ports. The older Chademo is virtually extinct. The Type 2 is a level 2 charger and fits in the bottom part of the CCS2 port and so is what is used for AC charging/ destination chargers / home chargers etc throughout UK and Europe too, so you will be totally screwed for charging everywhere if you cannot get the car converted to CCS2.

a bit of CHAdeMO

Plenty of 3rd party chargers have CHAdeMO ... although none of the Tesla Superchargers (which have by FAR the best up-time / availability / price of any public charging network in UK) have CHAdeMO

Tesla sold a CHAdeMO adapter for Model-S over here, and I'm pretty sure when I got M3 they said my MS CHAdeMO adapter would work (never had the need to try it)

Was there a CHAdeMO adapter ever sold in USA (for NACS charge port)? If so that might be a charging method whilst in UK

If there was, you'd need a step down transformer. I doubt US cars would be happy with 240v (assuming the 50hz wouldn't be an issue since it's converting to DC anyway).
If I'm not mistaken, high-current devices in the US often work on 240V anyway. They often have two phase on a 180 degree offset for appliances like tumble dryers, etc. I believe most car chargers make use of those circuits as well.

Reactions: Jason71
Very helpful and informative responses.
It seems like if I can't use public charging, then there is no point moving the vehicle there.
I guess, I have to buy one in UK another cheap gas car or used tesla.

Thank you once again guys. Really appreciate the knowledge you share.
The good news is second hand prices have collapsed so you should be able to grab a bargain

Very helpful and informative responses.
It seems like if I can't use public charging, then there is no point moving the vehicle there.
I guess, I have to buy one in UK another cheap gas car or used tesla.

Thank you once again guys. Really appreciate the knowledge you share.
The real issue you have is getting some sort of CCS2 to NACS converter. Perhaps someone can pop in and explain the difference between CCS1 and CCS2.

For home charging, I can't believe it would be that hard to get the Tesla wall connector working. It can work with 110v or 240v, so I'm thinking if you already have 240v standard it shouldn't be that hard to come up with a decent charge. The Tesla portable charger (in US) comes with a 240v NEMA 14-50 (50amp) plug, and you would need to convert from whatever plug you have to one that fits into the charger. (I've heard Tesla also sells a connector for a NEMA 14-30 (30am) plug, which is somewhat common in the US for electric dryers. I would think the wall connector is really just a plug adapter away from working at home for you, and on the road if you can bring your plugs, cables and charger along.

IF - a big if - CCS1 and CCS2 are physically compatible, then the CCS1-to-NACS adapter you can get in the US may work fine in Europe.

Now I'm curious about what I wrote, so I'm going to do a bit of research on CCS1 and CCS2 to see what's up.
And... success! Have a look at this ad for a $150 CCS2 to NACS adapter:

I saw others advertised too, but at higher prices.

Reactions: shyboy
You mean by using this adaptor, my usa tesla can use tesla superchargers in UK/Europe?
I doubt it'd work seamlessly with superchargers.. Teslas identify themselves uniquely to the charger and a US tesla woldn't be registered (and it's telling the adapter doesn't use the word 'supercharger' once).

However some superchargers are open to all cars, so you could register as a non-tesla and use them.

I'm kinda sceptical you can do that for $150 including the protocol translation but will be interested to hear if it works.

It can work with 110v or 240v,

I don't know much about electrics so may be way of base here,. but isn't USA 240V across 2 phase? whereas ours is on a single phase? Maybe the USA wall charger is flexible enough to work with "anything" it gets. It might also be difficult getting a UK Sparky to fit it, they have all sorts of Rules and Regs to conform to and a USA Wall Charger isn't going to be "approved" for fitting in UK

The idea of a CCS2 to NACS adapter SHOULD mean you can go to any CCS2 (Tesla or otherwise)

We have Tesla Superchargers sites open to any car (minority of sites, in UK, majority in mainland EU), and others open only to Tesla. The Tesla-only ones are going to want a Tesla-masonic-handshake, and if there is anything funky about that, which the CCS adaptor doesn't handle (or a UK Supercharger doesn't recognise a USA car's handshake), then that would rule out charging at the Tesla-only superchargers.

But I have an old MS, which has a CCS adaptor, and that works just fine. Its a Tesla branded adaptor of course ...

The non-Tesla-only sites, as has been said, will charge "any CCS car", but its (in common with other 3rd party charging vendors) a lot more hassle. Get the phone out, identify which stall, initiate the charge ... whereas of course us Tesla drivers are spoilt by the normal Supercharger charging more of "Drive up, Plug in, Walk away"

May be already discussed and I've missed/forgotten it, but just in case; Insurance is likely to be a significant concern and cost.

The UK car insurance market is problematical at the moment and the experience of many on here (me included) is that costs for insurance of a Tesla have reached an all-time high. Despite long no-claims history insurance costs are rising by over 100% in many cases. Add a non-UK spec car, foreign driver with no UK driving history into the mix and stand back and brace yourself.

It may be that the employer is covering that as well, but as stated above, likely much better all round for them/you to go for some form of contract hire/PCP option for the duration of your stay here.

Unless a typo in title, nobody talked about OP mentioning it was a MYLR7.
Best to also inform @shyboy that this spec doesn't exist in Europe, and that there is only a 5-seater here.
I don't know if this would cause further problems to import it here, as there is no equivalent model with an EU/UK Certificate of Conformity for a 7 seats variant.

But as mentioned above, the charging port alone should be reason enough not to do it.

And if you need those 7 seats, your only option will be either a used 1st-Gen MX, or a different brand entirely, as Tesla made the decision not to build the new X in RHD.

Unless a typo in title, nobody talked about OP mentioning it was a MYLR7.
Best to also inform @shyboy that this spec doesn't exist in Europe, and that there is only a 5-seater here.
I don't know if this would cause further problems to import it here, as there is no equivalent model with an EU/UK Certificate of Conformity for a 7 seats variant.

But as mentioned above, the charging port alone should be reason enough not to do it.

And if you need those 7 seats, your only option will be either a used 1st-Gen MX, or a different brand entirely, as Tesla made the decision not to build the new X in RHD.
i think some MS has 7 seats as well

I don't know much about electrics so may be way of base here,. but isn't USA 240V across 2 phase? whereas ours is on a single phase? Maybe the USA wall charger is flexible enough to work with "anything" it gets. It might also be difficult getting a UK Sparky to fit it, they have all sorts of Rules and Regs to conform to and a USA Wall Charger isn't going to be "approved" for fitting in UK

We have Tesla Superchargers sites open to any car (minority of sites, in UK, majority in mainland EU), and others open only to Tesla. The Tesla-only ones are going to want a Tesla-masonic-handshake, and if there is anything funky about that, which the CCS adaptor doesn't handle (or a UK Supercharger doesn't recognise a USA car's handshake), then that would rule out charging at the Tesla-only superchargers.

But I have an old MS, which has a CCS adaptor, and that works just fine. Its a Tesla branded adaptor of course ...

The non-Tesla-only sites, as has been said, will charge "any CCS car", but its (in common with other 3rd party charging vendors) a lot more hassle. Get the phone out, identify which stall, initiate the charge ... whereas of course us Tesla drivers are spoilt by the normal Supercharger charging more of "Drive up, Plug in, Walk away"
My point there was supposed to be about finding an adapter. It's easy in the US to get a CCS-to-NACS adapter, in case I want to go to an Electrify America station. But that's a CCS1 adapter, and I was pretty sure that CCS2 uses a different form factor. And I assumed (wrongly) that there wasn't enough need to have a CCS2 to NACS adapter for someone to be selling them.

Go to Tesla.com and select UK as your country then you can see all the prices.

I would make sure you are sitting down, as they won't be what you are used to in the US, but you'll have a lot more of that to come when you get here.
You’ve obviously never been to an American supermarket, paid for health car or had a phone bill in the US… that’s a real eye opener… paying £5 for a pint of milk or £7 for 6 eggs…