Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D 4.3 0-60 time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the Vimeo vid and I'm also getting 4.5secs (nothing scientific) at least. Unless I'm getting faked out by a video timing trick, I dunno, it looks close to legit. Nobody has one of those 0-60 GPS gizmos to test this out on their S85D?
Good point. If there are any S85D owners in the Boston area who want to run a test, PM me. I'll take the data logger and video camera out of my track car; we can time 0-60, measure stopping distances, etc.

131 frames to an indicated 60, but most speedometers, even digital ones, are about 5 mph fast at 60 MPH, so you're only really going 55 MPH. 4.33 to 55 is about 4.9 to 60. 55 to 60 takes a lot longer than 50 to 55.
Digital ones in fact are usually pretty spot on. Analog ones are always 5-10% fast in my experience. This is from another thread:

I just want to add; The Tesla has the most accurate speedometer of any car I've ever driven.

Last edited:
Digital ones in fact are usually pretty spot on. Analog ones are always 5-10% fast in my experience. This is from another thread:

These days, most "analog" speedometers are actually digital. Meaning the needles are computer controlled, rather than some clumsy physical link like they had 30 years ago. The variance is from manufacturer to manufacturer. My previous car (BMW) read about 5% faster than actual speed. By law they can't read slower than actual speed, so most manufactures err on the high side just to be safe. Haven't really tested the Tesla one yet, but it would definitely need to have some margin of error to account for differences in tire tread depth, etc.

Tesla's might be very accurate, but even if it's reading 1mph high than can translated to a couple tenths in 0-60 - so a 4.5 indicated might be 4.7 if measured via a calibrated device.

- - - Updated - - -

If Tesla could claim a 0-60 time that is faster than 5.2 seconds for the S85D, it would.

The regular S85 beats the advertised time by half a second even with less than 50% charge on the battery.

There's no reason to assume the S85D isn't also underrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were 1 mph off I think that would make it 0.008 seconds off in a 0-60 (in a Tesla with it's linear acceleration curve). JMG said her test wasn't scientific so I think she'd agree it could be a tenth off the real number.

Arguing with AR is ... have you ever tried herding cats? :)

If it were 1 mph off I think that would make it 0.008 seconds off in a 0-60 (in a Tesla with it's linear acceleration curve). JMG said her test wasn't scientific so I think she'd agree it could be a tenth off the real number.

Arguing with AR is ... have you ever tried herding cats? :)

Two corrections here:

1) It wasn't my test, just something I found on reddit.
2) Not a her

Back to your original programming!

Maybe I need to add my avatar as
warrior-leadership-745x352-700x352.png