Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D 4.3 0-60 time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The time could be slightly higher. I have found the speedometer to be off by 1 MPH. So when the speedometer says 60, I believe it really is going 59 MPH.

Most cars indicate a slightly higher than actual speed, and DOT allows for up to 10% variance I think, but by law can't indicate lower than actual speed.
My last car (BMW 335d) read about 5% higher than actual, so 60mph indicated was actually 57mph.

Measuring 0-60 based on videos of the speedometer itself is always going to be a bit optimistic-- we need somebody with a VBox to measure it.

For the 85D I'd put my bets on 4.7 0-60mph.

The S85 with only 40% charge can pull 4.9 seconds to 60 according to VBox data:

2014 Tesla Model S 85 0-60 MPH Testing - YouTube

The S60 can pull 5.1 seconds, although with nearly a full charge:

Tesla Model S 60 kWH 0-60 MPH Testing - YouTube

...but it goes to show that even the S60 and S85 are capable of faster 0-60 times than even what Tesla claims for the 85D! So naturally we should assume the 85D is also underrated-- 4.6 or 4.7 should be reasonable to assume.

Reminder to all: The P85 has been clocked at a drag strip, with a millisecond-accurate timer, to 3.9 seconds 0-60. I'm in the camp that those that think an S85D would be close to a P85--even on curvy roads--are smoking something themselves...but to each their own :). Tesla would be crazy to list a performance spec almost 1.5 seconds slower than the actual 0-60 for the S85D...as if people wouldn't figure that out.

Where is the 0-60 in 3.9 time for P85? I have only seen 3.9 sec on motortrend but that was 1 foot rollout time.

Even if the 85D is software limited, customer feedback here seems to indicate that the P85 would likely be no match for the 85D on a winding road.

Now you need an AWD car to drive on a winding road? This kind of hyperbole is getting out of hand.

Nobody said you need an AWD car to drive on a winding road, twisting what I'd said into that is hyperbole.

Note that I was responding to anticitizen, not referencing you at all. Just wanted to clarify that.

Most cars indicate a slightly higher than actual speed, and DOT allows for up to 10% variance I think, but by law can't indicate lower than actual speed...

... with the stock OEM tires used for testing.

If you have more than one tire size available (19" and 21") your optional tire size can vary but generally won't indicate lower than actual.

If the owner of the car switches to non OEM tires it is possible they will choose a higher diameter tire with less revolutions per mile and fall outside of that speedometer rule.

Or in other words: The law says the car manufacturer shouldn't put tires on that allow the speedometer to read lower than actual, it doesn't tell the car owner not to do it, nor does it make it impossible to do so.

Believing that law could do so would be as valid as believing the law about making pi = 3.15 or 3.2 would somehow make the universe simpler to understand.

Note that I was responding to anticitizen, not referencing you at all. Just wanted to clarify that.

I didn't say AWD was necessary for winding roads! What I wrote was that the 85D appeared to have better handling characteristics than the P85 on that kind of drive.

I drive a piddling(relative to Model S) FWD Honda on winding roads all the time, and if I thought AWD was necessary I would be driving a Subaru instead!

Didn't mean to start the controversy. Tesla highlights the P85D as a level above the P85, and then they cancelled the P85. The 85D slots in below the P85D and above the S85, which is why I saw it as the natural successor to the P85. It might not be quite as fast in a straight line but it does have advantages over the P85.

... with the stock OEM tires used for testing.

If you have more than one tire size available (19" and 21") your optional tire size can vary but generally won't indicate lower than actual.

If the owner of the car switches to non OEM tires it is possible they will choose a higher diameter tire with less revolutions per mile and fall outside of that speedometer rule.

Or in other words: The law says the car manufacturer shouldn't put tires on that allow the speedometer to read lower than actual, it doesn't tell the car owner not to do it, nor does it make it impossible to do so.

Believing that law could do so would be as valid as believing the law about making pi = 3.15 or 3.2 would somehow make the universe simpler to understand.

The 19 and 21 tires have the same outer diameter. The 21's have a larger wheel size but a narrower sidewall. But there will even be some variance as the tire tread wears down. Nonstandard tires can affect things even more, as you said.

Relative to the post referenced by the OP, sorry but that post is not credible. The "video" is actually an animated GIF file. That is, it is a bunch of stills of different speedo readings with text added to give the frame count and time. Child's play to fake. Even a real video image would be easy to speed up using common video editing software (even with an on screen clock, which there is not).

Sorry to pour cold water on the wishful thinking, but you can't trust everything you read.

I'm hardly ever out in the car without the entire family but I did mention that it felt much closer to a P85 than an S85 when I first got my 85D. I'll wager a guess and say that professional testing will put the car around 4.6 seconds 0-60. That gives the car 0.22 seconds to register 1 mph after putting your foot down based on that video.

- - - Updated - - -

Relative to the post referenced by the OP, sorry but that post is not credible. The "video" is actually an animated GIF file. That is, it is a bunch of stills of different speedo readings with text added to give the frame count and time. Child's play to fake. Even a real video image would be easy to speed up using common video editing software (even with an on screen clock, which there is not).

Sorry to pour cold water on the wishful thinking, but you can't trust everything you read.
Why would OP do that knowing anyone with an 85D can do this themselves? Go read the reddit thread and you'll see the video was made by request of others, it wasn't even made until people doubted the crude stopwatch test they first posted.

Someone else should do this. We know it will only take a few seconds :)

There's lots of evidence over the last 3 years that both the S60 and S85 outperformed the official numbers, so why is this hard to believe? 4.3 might be a stretch, but 4.8-4.9 isn't.

So magazines that tested the P85 and P85D to be quicker than Tesla's published numbers ... What say you about that?

Motortrend tested the P85 at 3.9 seconds, but that was with a 1 foot rollout. A 0.2 second difference I can accept, but OP's post claims 4.3 seconds - almost 1 full second difference from Tesla's spec - and that's nonsense.

As I mentioned, I know its far from scientific, but it's fairly precise for a non-scientific test. The "start" time should be fairly close as the inertia of the acceleration makes the camera shake, and then since he filmed it in 30fps, he uploaded the video to an editing program and counted the individual frames to arrive at the 4.33 which was 131 frames. Again, it's probably not exactly 4.33 seconds, but I think for sure it isn't 5.2. Here is the full speed HD video: Tesla 0-60 on Vimeo

And I think it's funny that most of the replies that "Yeah I think its totally legit" come from 85D owners (or future owners) such as myself and most of the doubters are P85D owners. Human nature! :biggrin:

I just used a handheld digital stopwatch against the HD video and came up with 4.48 seconds. That's from the instant I noticed the camera move and that beautiful motor humming until I saw 60 on the display. I did it six times, throwing out anomalies and then also tossing my high and the low results, and got 4.48 and 4.50. Try it yourself.

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask: are manufacturers' published 0-60 time driven with the full rated payload, or at the minimum weight they can manage, or something in between?

In in the light plane world, performance numbers given in the operating handbook are supposed to be at max gross weight.

I looked at the Vimeo vid and I'm also getting 4.5secs (nothing scientific) at least. Unless I'm getting faked out by a video timing trick, I dunno, it looks close to legit. Nobody has one of those 0-60 GPS gizmos to test this out on their S85D?

I looked at the Vimeo vid and I'm also getting 4.5secs (nothing scientific) at least. Unless I'm getting faked out by a video timing trick, I dunno, it looks close to legit. Nobody has one of those 0-60 GPS gizmos to test this out on their S85D?

I seriously doubt most 85D owners really care about 0-60 times. We're getting close to a month that 85D cars have been in customer hands and this is the first attempt at testing this. People that care about this sort of stuff to be bothered to have such test equipment are going to buy a P85D.