Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D Discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased my 85D a few months ago and last night I looked at the Design Studio to see that the 85D has been discontinued. This irritates me because it makes me feel that my resale value has been lowered and essentially I could've paid $1k more to get an additional 44 miles on my battery. Anyone have thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: Tree95
Purchased my 85D a few months ago and last night I looked at the Design Studio to see that the 85D has been discontinued. This irritates me because it makes me feel that my resale value has been lowered and essentially I could've paid $1k more to get an additional 44 miles on my battery. Anyone have thoughts?

While I understand your irritation, you had an opportunity to order a 90D in the first place and have that added resale value but chose not to. So for whatever reason the extra mileage wasn't worth the money to you. I'm guessing because you never intended to buy with resale value as a top priority.

Did you buy it to resell it or to drive it? A car is a depreciating asset, not an investment. Whatever improvements are available today will seem outdated by a year from now. You need to think of it's a tech product. Everyone knows Tesla doesn't do model years.

the elimination of the 85 was inevitable once the 90 was introduced. I am sure that the car will continue to evolve and the 90 will be replaced by the reported 100 that is in the works. this is the nature of the fast evolving technology based world that we live in.

Right my mistake on the 44 more miles. My Tesla only charges to 244 miles so I did quick 288 - 244 but in reality it's 18 more miles.

The difference is actually $1.8k on the cost. Again I did quick math, but I just looked at my invoice so yes $1k was wrong.

The issue I have is I wanted the extra range and range was the biggest issue with a Tesla and almost paid $3k for the upgrade and now I know it's only $1.8k more to do so. It's only a $1.2k difference but at a $100k price point it's frustrating because the car was received barely 3 months ago.

I just wish Tesla would be more considerate of owners especially when we are paying so much for a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tree95
Right my mistake on the 44 more miles. My Tesla only charges to 244 miles so I did quick 288 - 244 but in reality it's 18 more miles.

The difference is actually $1.8k on the cost. Again I did quick math, but I just looked at my invoice so yes $1k was wrong.

The issue I have is I wanted the extra range and range was the biggest issue with a Tesla and almost paid $3k for the upgrade and now I know it's only $1.8k more to do so. It's only a $1.2k difference but at a $100k price point it's frustrating because the car was received barely 3 months ago.

I just wish Tesla would be more considerate of owners especially when we are paying so much for a car.

How is improving technology being inconsiderate to owners? Alternatively, how are decreases in the cost of battery technology now versus some point in the past surprising to you or somehow a disservice to you as an owner? I don't follow that logic. You acknowledge that you had an opportunity to buy the 90 pack but opted not to, so I don't understand your complaint. Prices on things (not just Teslas) change all of the time.

The best way to respond dlv1984 is that since it's a technology and we all view it this way rather than a typical car. The lack of knowing the life cycle of a new Tesla is the problem. I personally wouldn't go buy a new iPhone in August when I know I can buy the newest one in September. I wouldn't have been impacted if I purchased this car a year+ ago, but I bought it quite recently.

Did you buy it to resell it or to drive it? A car is a depreciating asset, not an investment. Whatever improvements are available today will seem outdated by a year from now. You need to think of it's a tech product. Everyone knows Tesla doesn't do model years.

Exactly. Don't buy a car as an investment. Unless you have some extremely rare car, it's just not an investment. In fact, it will probably be the fastest depreciating major asset you'll ever own.

The best way to respond dlv1984 is that since it's a technology and we all view it this way rather than a typical car. The lack of knowing the life cycle of a new Tesla is the problem. I personally wouldn't go buy a new iPhone in August when I know I can buy the newest one in September. I wouldn't have been impacted if I purchased this car a year+ ago, but I bought it quite recently.
Exactly why Tesla doesn't do model years, or announce improvements in advance. In this scenario, do you think you would be the only one who didn't buy a car in August knowing a new model would come out in September? This may work for the legacy manufacturers who build cars in advance and need time to change their production to a new model year, but it would be devastating to Tesla which builds to order.

Enjoy your car. You got exactly what you ordered and paid for, including less than the maximum range that was available at the time.

In less than 4 years, my Chevy Volt depreciated to less than 1/4 of it's original value, and I have yet to find a single person to play a violin for me. Meanwhile, Tesla's are holding value reasonably well, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your only concern, in my opinion, should be about the warranty running out, as that's still kind of an unknown and could hurt value if people are generally concerned about service needs and cost.

Last Friday I took possession of my new 90D, which finished production March second. It doesn't have the new base wheels; it's got the old ones. It also doesn't have the center console. I feel so cheated!

NOT

I would have liked to have the center console. I think I missed it by about ten days. People ordering after I did are now getting a center console at no extra cost - good for them! Their good fortune doesn't diminish my purchase, or my satisfaction with my car, one little tiny bit.

Where do you get that the difference is $1.8k???? I paid for a 90D config which I received about a month ago. It cost $104,250 total INCLUDING $3000 for "range upgrade" to 90D. I did that about a couple of weeks before they discontinued the 85D exactly because i figured it would help later. However I just went to the design studio and priced out the exact same car today. It is still exactly $104,250. (then add 1200 destination etc. both times on top). So your $1.8k number is also wrong, sorry. The $3000 range upgrade is now simply a non-choosable option. And btw I didn't get the wheels (happy) or the console - in fact I paid for and received the old one. And I will be putting in the new one as soon as they make it available.

I Love Tesla and the whole experience - but you have to be happy with what you buy. or you will go insane. And also check ur numbers again please. You will find that you are not "screwed" in the way you feel you are.

Reactions: Tellotes
You decided that the range difference didn't have value (actually $3000 for around 40 more miles) and now you are looking at it all wrong. You should be happy that you got such great value while the 85D was still available.

(Tesla recently added the center console. Instead of having regrets, I'm glad I got the old console for $650.)

In my short (a little over a year) experience with Tesla, I've observed that they improve things but those improvements in themselves don't devalue existing cars. I've met folks who paid far less for their model 60s and sporting Tesla grins. Don't let the changes spoil the fun with your 85D.

More than any other vehicle, Teslas should be considered for leasing precisely for these reasons. They have a high turnover/adoption rate of new features and technology, which depresses resale value. As a new car company, there are growing pains with maintenance and repair, making it less desirable to own an older model due to the frequency of these issues. And, repair costs with this vehicle can be very high, making out-of-warranty repairs quite expensive.

Leasing would allow you to pay only for the depreciation (which will be a fixed amount known up front), get the latest and greatest technology and features every 3 years, remove the variability of resale value and hassle of the trade-in or resale process, and never be out of warranty for any required repair.

Reactions: FequalsMA
Look at the bright side, at least its just a little bit of batter capacity and not an entirely new set of features/ body work changes.
I could understand frustration if they made the the 90 the same price as the 85 but thats not the case.
The 85 pack has been around for a good while, changes were bound to happen.