Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ideal range appears to be much more stable (at least in the S85) than rated range because they don't seem to mess with it as much. I'm not sure why anyone uses rated range to determine degradation. Rated range is a reasonable number for driving, but not for battery state.

I don't understand this logic. Losing a mile a week in rated range is saying something right? Whether it's degradation or an algorithm issue in the end you can't drive as far as you could the week before. Also, if you go through this thread you'll see the 90D people with brand new cars have lost about the same or more rated range in 2 months than the 85 pack people did in a year or two.

Reactions: pers1
Any chance that weather has something to do with all this? we are going into the winter months, and some of you do live in very cold countries/states, etc... seems normal for some of the low ranges you all are reporting....

Any chance that weather has something to do with all this? we are going into the winter months, and some of you do live in very cold countries/states, etc... seems normal for some of the low ranges you all are reporting....

I'm in Southern California and my range loss started in mid-September when it was in the 90's so for me and a few others in this thread that's not it (wish it were though).

Last edited:
I don't understand this logic. Losing a mile a week in rated range is saying something right? Whether it's degradation or an algorithm issue in the end you can't drive as far as you could the week before. Also, if you go through this thread you'll see the 90D people with brand new cars have lost about the same or more rated range in 2 months than the 85 pack people did in a year or two.

No, if it's an algorithm issue it does not affect how far you can actually drive. It just means the displayed range is less accurate.

First, thanks for all the feedback. I was getting 241 originally for about two days and then the creep down began...240, 238, 236, 235, etc. Brought the car home on September 29th. We are at November 11th and down to 233 or 8 miles of rated range loss. Losing just under 2 miles a week. I have charged to 95% maybe three weeks ago. Has not impacted the decline. Went right back to the decline of 1-2 miles per week.

So at new the car did show 241 at 90% which is exactly what I expected - 241 (253*1.06=268 *.9=241). That's 253 for P85D plus the 6% minus the 10% for the 90% state of charge. That is exactly what the car was delivered with before the decline started. I understand your point completely about 3% for the 21s so that would take me to 234 exactly. So in theory, if the car stops declining here than that is just the algorithm figuring out that I have 21s on the car. I would be surprised if it actually works that way but would be pretty cool if it does and if the decline actually stops at 233.

Second, it is pretty disappointing that I had two people from the Tesla service team tell me that temperature impacts rate range when you guys are saying that is just wrong. I was aware that weather impacts estimated range in the app based on Wh usage/mile.

i will update if the decline continues from here. Again, thanks for all the insight. I will be sure to call my service rep back and explain to them that rated range is not adjusted for weather. :)

Thought I would provide an update that my decline has continued on. My new morning 90% charge for the last two or three days has been 228-230. I am now convinced that degradation rate of 90 battery is faster than than 85. I will be raising again with service department when I take car in Friday for back seat rattle. Not feeling great about paying extra for 90 range and having watched it waste away in first 2-3 months of ownership when 85 would take 2-3 years to lose this much range.

Thought I would provide an update that my decline has continued on. My new morning 90% charge for the last two or three days has been 228-230. I am now convinced that degradation rate of 90 battery is faster than than 85. I will be raising again with service department when I take car in Friday for back seat rattle. Not feeling great about paying extra for 90 range and having watched it waste away in first 2-3 months of ownership when 85 would take 2-3 years to lose this much range.

Thanks. Agree completely.

Hmmm. Should I regret paying extra for the 90 version?
Tesla will hear about it if the range plummets like this. My old S85 had some range decrease over two years, but a decent part of it came through new software.
Not steady rapid decrease. Why pay extra if the extra range is gone within a year?

That would be my guess since some 90's don't seem to be affected.
JRP3:
Take a look at the geographic locations of those who are seeing loss and see if you notice any correlation. I am not suggesting there is one, but that really needs to be taken into account. Also FLASHERZ has posted an informative thread on the effects of seasonality on rated range with his historic observed data in graphic form...

I have PM'ed RAWN77 to fill us in on his service center visit...