Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

98 Score - Got FSD Beta?

Sustained 98 Safety Score?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, what Autopilot chip do you have? Need version 3, FSD chip. I think a lot of people don't have the right hardware and are somehow expecting to get it.
I could be wrong about this, but I didn't think the "Enroll in FSD Beta" button would show up unless your vehicle's hardware configuration meets the requirements to run the beta...

I'm quite sure about this.... I'll look around a bit for a valid answer...

Edit: Paging @EVNow :)

Last edited:
Yay, just got it today (or probably from the batch yesterday) on our 2018 M3 LR RWD! My wife is an aggressive driver and had been hovering around 88 SS, so we'd opted out. Opted back in and did 100+ miles of careful holiday driving to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. Then after letting the car sit for the past five days, nothing, no e-mail, zippo. So gave up yesterday and told my wife to drive it as usual. But apparently we'd squeaked in; as today I check the app and the safety score is gone, and so I check the car and the beta firmware 2021.36.8.8 is already installed. TeslaSpy says it was just installed today, so my wife must've pushed the button on the app earlier this morning thinking it's a routine firmware update.

Was an early 2018 build, delivered with EAP; purchased FSD in 2019 when they had the brief $2000 upgrade sale for EAP owners (that's a $1K discount from the price if ordered at delivery, for those keeping score). Had the HW3.0 computer installed about a year ago, not expecting to ever get FSD, but just making sure it was fully up-to-date in case we ever needed to resell it in the future.

BTW, getting the 99 score was way harder than I expected. Longer story:

The Thanksgiving drive was almost all freeway except a few short blocks on either end, on a deserted holiday week. So just Autopilot the whole way and a few careful stoplights, how hard could it be? Well, on the last 25 mile segment on the way back, just five miles from home (nearly 100 miles and perfect 100 score), I'm cruising on Autopilot going around 75 on a nearly empty multi-lane freeway. In the middle lane, but I'm coming up on a slow car in the right lane a quarter mile ahead. Warning bells start to go off in my head, as I notice an on-ramp coming up. Sure enough, some crazy driver is speeding up the on-ramp at a ridiculous pace, just as I'm coming to it. I try to disengage Autopilot to be ready for evasive action, but too late; the driver sees the slow car as the on-ramp merges, cuts me right off and instead of continuing to accelerate, lets off the gas. I don't even have a chance to move over to the left lane, have to slam the brakes hard, on an empty freeway with no one else but us three cars in sight! So furious!

Thanks to this forum, I reset the computer before putting the car in park once I got home, so wiped that disastrous drive and kept 100 SS. But then had to do another 20 mile drive the next morning to get past 100 miles. So drove 10 miles and back on the same freeway, was turned around and headed home. Not as deserted as Thanksgiving, but fairly light traffic. But then, same area, five miles from home, this time Autopilot only at 70. But catching up to traffic ahead, suddenly boxed in in front, left, and right, nowhere to go. About to disengage Autopilot to let more space ahead, when same on-ramp again, car merging, so forces a car to cut me off again! Disengage Autopilot but I don't brake this time, but regen alone causes abrupt braking, so I know I'll get dinged for both hard braking AND unsafe following. I take the chance with it, fortunately it only drops me to 99 for that once incident.

You can reset your safety score by un-enrolling, wait a about 4 hours, enroll again and drive 100 miles. At the end of the 100 miles if you have a 99 or 100 score you will get an email within a few hours saying you can enable FSD. I did this when I had an initial score of 96 (I live in NYC so I’m lucky to have had that high of a score.). This was a month ago, since then I dealt with NYC traffic and no issues with FSD getting revoked.
What does un-enrolling mean and how do i do it?

I could be wrong about this, but I didn't think the "Enroll in FSD Beta" button would show up unless your vehicle's hardware configuration meets the requirements to run the beta...

I'm quite sure about this.... I'll look around a bit for a valid answer...

Edit: Paging @EVNow :)

Just out of curiosity, what Autopilot chip do you have? Need version 3, FSD chip. I think a lot of people don't have the right hardware and are somehow expecting to get it.
We know some old S/X owners with AP2 got the button etc.

But with 3 - not sure I've heard any such issues. Also, are there anyone still with AP2.5 ... hasn't everyone upgraded to HW3 - it was a free upgrade with FSD ?

BTW : @Phlier I didn't actually get a notification for @ mentioning me. I just happened to see the post.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Our 2018 Model X received the 10.5 yesterday evening. We were on a 97 score. Interesting I had the same examples creping forward to make a right turn only for it to not want to complete the maneuver. On our Model Y I have a score of 89. I'll never see FSD Beta. My commute is just one scary ride here in Houston.

@JonNRb so after some drive and reset in car plus close/reopen app, log out/log in app. Safety Score is still there. I do have Tesla insurance. Not sure if that is the reason or perhaps we have 3 different phone with access. I am in Bay Area, anyone else in Bay Area with FSD beta plus Tesla insurance have their safety score disappeared? Thanks.

sorry missed this question.. I have HW3.0 so that isn't the issue.. and if score was 99 i bet be in now.

But just an example I got a forward collision warning going to bank in back the other day 3 mile drive round trip. I saw no notice on screen during the drive nor did have an special events notable during the drive which might cause it. And because I didn't know happened couldn't reset that drive at end. I end up driving about 50 miles that day w/o issue and got back up to 95, keeping in 98 club. But events like this prevent me from getting score up higher than 98. Unless I do a total re-set and drive 100 miles w/o issues, which is possible but then without any other scores to back it up one drive bad drive or event would screw me. Because I wouldn’t have weigh over month scores to keep it afloat. And not parking my car for extended length time with score 100 or 99 just get stupid option. That total defeats the purpose. It is bad enough as it is have M3P and driving like a grandmother. Lol.

I have had 98 since 11.21.21, and I just hit 99 today
Looks like you just missed the most recent addition cutoff. People were added Tuesday with scores checked at latest Monday. There's no automatic reach-99-get-added. The score needs to be above the threshold (currently 99) on the day someone at Tesla checks for scores. At least from public beta launch, Tesla has averaged 2.8 days for additions but in the last 2 weeks only once per week.

Here is how I got my FSD beta in 4 days:

- My score was 97 on Wednesday, I disabled the application for beta program at 5pm
- On Thursday at 1am I went to my car and re-applied for FSD beta again. The safety score did not appear on my app for hours
- Found safety score on Tesla App on Friday night
- On Saturday morning (12am), I went for a drive along the highway with autopilot on the whole time. Totalling 60 miles with a score of 100
- On Sunday morning (12am), I drove the same freeway again and got another 60 miles with a score of 100
- On Monday I did some grocery shopping, got a score of 98 over 12 miles. Total score remained at 100
- On Wednesday I received a software update, no email. After the update my safety score on the app is once again gone, and I found FSD beta installed in the car

Hope this helps those who are working towards getting FSD beta. Last 2 months had been a frustrating experience as my score kept getting shot down from incidents outside of my control. I'm glad that the tips from other members on TMC helped me through this.

Reactions: LionCheeser
Looks like you just missed the most recent addition cutoff. People were added Tuesday with scores checked at latest Monday. There's no automatic reach-99-get-added. The score needs to be above the threshold (currently 99) on the day someone at Tesla checks for scores. At least from public beta launch, Tesla has averaged 2.8 days for additions but in the last 2 weeks only once per week.
Not necessarily. Ive had a 100 SS since last Friday and 99 the prior 2 weeks with over 700 miles logged so the Monday cutoff time doesn’t seem to work, at least not for me. Early ‘19 M3 Perf.

Not necessarily. Ive had a 100 SS since last Friday and 99 the prior 2 weeks with over 700 miles logged so the Monday cutoff time doesn’t seem to work, at least not for me. Early ‘19 M3 Perf.
Yeah there seems to be some small number of exceptions probably similar to how some existing 10.4 vehicles have not updated to 10.5 for some reason.

Looks like in the past hour, there's been a new batch of ~200 new additions to FSD Beta 10.5. So referencing the ~600 additions on Tuesday (6 days after the last batch), I'm guessing this is another batch of 99+ scores (averaging about ~100/day accumulation per rollout).

Yeah there seems to be some small number of exceptions probably similar to how some existing 10.4 vehicles have not updated to 10.5 for some reason.

Looks like in the past hour, there's been a new batch of ~200 new additions to FSD Beta 10.5. So referencing the ~600 additions on Tuesday (6 days after the last batch), I'm guessing this is another batch of 99+ scores (averaging about ~100/day accumulation per rollout).
I have the version 3 hware.
Just got FSD Beta and installing it now with early 19' M3 DM. I was stuck on 2021.36.5.1 until just now.