Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

Will 5-seat A/C cooling be as effective in high heat (> 95 F) as the 6&7 seat config?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I could go and test in my own car, but since I haven't tested, I don't even know if you can close (all) the rear vents.

But yeah, so my idea was that if rear airflow is anemic, could it be made at least more pointed by, say, closing two vents from the side where there is no passenger (assuming one rear passenger) or alternatively by, say, closing the B pillar vents so that you end up with Model S like situation with central vents - but with more airflow that could then be pointed at rear passenger(s)?

I understand closing front vents helps. I was just looking for more options and/or an alternative that can be controlled from the back.

I got it, and I believe you are correct that closing one of the rear vents will increase flow to the other. But I am also sure not to the extent of closing a front vent, since the rear vents get such little airflow as it is, so closing the other rear would result in a more anemic improvement than a front one. To match the max flow from the 6/7 seater B-pillar, closing 2 front vents is best way to achieve this.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I got it, and I believe you are correct that closing one of the rear vents will increase flow to the other. But I am also sure not to the extent of closing a front vent, since the rear vents get such little airflow as it is, so closing the other rear would result in a more anemic improvement than a front one. To match the max flow from the 6/7 seater B-pillar, closing 2 front vents is best way to achieve this.

Fair point.

FWIW, I checked that rear vents at least can be closed in my six seater.

Any follow-up from your discussions with your Service team?
No. I emailed the regional manager 2 weeks ago and called on Friday to the local service center to ask if i had the wrong contact info. Nope. It went to the right place and they promised to get back with me. Still. It's not going well. I have family here right now and luckily they're women who like it hot. In a few weeks my wife's brother will be here and he's like me. This will NOT look well for Tesla. He's a corporate mogal with walgreens.

No. I emailed the regional manager 2 weeks ago and called on Friday to the local service center to ask if i had the wrong contact info. Nope. It went to the right place and they promised to get back with me. Still. It's not going well. I have family here right now and luckily they're women who like it hot. In a few weeks my wife's brother will be here and he's like me. This will NOT look well for Tesla. He's a corporate mogal with walgreens.

If there is no identifiable malfunction, I am going to predict that they will reply that it is working as designed and to factory specs, and attempt to manage your expectations.

I would strongly recommend you try to find another 5 seater either privately owned, at the service center (unlikely they will pull one out for you) or a demo vehicle, purchase a hand-held wind meter (I rec this one listed below) and measure the airflow. Then compare to yours.

It will be best if you can measure a demo in front of a Tesla employee if the location is separate from the Service Center

Amazon.com : Nikon 16144 Spot On Wind Meter Spotting Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

If there is no identifiable malfunction, I am going to predict that they will reply that it is working as designed and to factory specs, and attempt to manage your expectations.

I would strongly recommend you try to find another 5 seater either privately owned, at the service center (unlikely they will pull one out for you) or a demo vehicle, purchase a hand-held wind meter (I rec this one listed below) and measure the airflow. Then compare to yours.

It will be best if you can measure a demo in front of a Tesla employee if the location is separate from the Service Center

Well, I've not had any luck even getting a response. The service center as well has said that they will get me some traction on getting ahold of the regional manager, but it's been a week and nothing. My dad was in the car and said that even in the front seat he felt warm. Certainly the temp of 62 should freeze you out like it does on his own ICE vehicle, but not on the tesla. It's around 96 degrees now and the heat from the back is pretty bad. I don't understand the wind meter and the value? Is that for the back? Can you please explain?

Just got a response from the regional manager. Said he will get back to me by friday on the A/C issue in concert with the service manager for our area.

Reactions: boaterva
Well, I've not had any luck even getting a response. The service center as well has said that they will get me some traction on getting ahold of the regional manager, but it's been a week and nothing. My dad was in the car and said that even in the front seat he felt warm. Certainly the temp of 62 should freeze you out like it does on his own ICE vehicle, but not on the tesla. It's around 96 degrees now and the heat from the back is pretty bad. I don't understand the wind meter and the value? Is that for the back? Can you please explain?

See Post # 21 for full details.
I just tested another new 5-seater yesterday, with exact results.

6 seater with rear fan on high and B and C pillar vents open - B-pillar 6 MPH

5 seater with only fan on 11, 4 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 3 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 3 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 4 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 2 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 5 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 1 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 6 MPH

While it was in a covered parking and not a hot cabin, I did feel airflow almost equally from the B-pillar and the front dash vents when all were fully open.

Bottom line, don't forget to pre-cool a hot cabin prior to 2nd row passengers getting in, or they will take longer to cool off.

I still hope Tesla will get enough complaints to reprogram to increase RPM of fan if that is possible.

5 seater with only fan on 11, 4 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 3 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 3 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 4 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 2 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 5 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 1 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 6 MPH

While it was in a covered parking and not a hot cabin, I did feel airflow almost equally from the B-pillar and the front dash vents when all were fully open.

Bottom line, don't forget to pre-cool a hot cabin prior to 2nd row passengers getting in, or they will take longer to cool off.

I still hope Tesla will get enough complaints to reprogram to increase RPM of fan if that is possible.
Thank you. I just ordered the fan meter. It will get here on saturday. Hopefully, we can get something done. I'm thinking of pursuing the lemon law regarding this. I don't know if it applies, but like i said. It's hot as balls down here, and I've been pre-cooling it, but the back is still hot. It was 101 degrees this afternoon.

Thank you. I just ordered the fan meter. It will get here on saturday. Hopefully, we can get something done. I'm thinking of pursuing the lemon law regarding this. I don't know if it applies, but like i said. It's hot as balls down here, and I've been pre-cooling it, but the back is still hot. It was 101 degrees this afternoon.

Yup, I get it. Having lived in Az, central Ca, and Texas for over 35 years, I get "hot". However, your climate is probably more humid as well.

As far a Lemon Law, that seems like a stretch at this time unless there is a defective part of your vehicle that they cannot fix. Merely having an unsatisfactory issue as a result of a poor design probably would not qualify.

If your airflow is far below the specs I have relayed, that will work in your favor, as I got the same measurement from 2 different 5-seats, and mine should be arriving in a few weeks.

If you are near a gallery/showroom that has a 5-seater demo, be sure to get those readings as well for comparison.

Yup, I get it. Having lived in Az, central Ca, and Texas for over 35 years, I get "hot". However, your climate is probably more humid as well.

As far a Lemon Law, that seems like a stretch at this time unless there is a defective part of your vehicle that they cannot fix. Merely having an unsatisfactory issue as a result of a poor design probably would not qualify.

If your airflow is far below the specs I have relayed, that will work in your favor, as I got the same measurement from 2 different 5-seats, and mine should be arriving in a few weeks.

If you are near a gallery/showroom that has a 5-seater demo, be sure to get those readings as well for comparison.[/QUO

just got my wind meter.
With fan on 11, front middle drivers vent at 11.2mph
Fan on 11, all vents open wind speed on center console 4.5mph
Fan on 11, pillar next to door 1mph

just got my wind meter.
With fan on 11, front middle drivers vent at 11.2mph
Fan on 11, all vents open wind speed on center console 4.5mph
Fan on 11, pillar next to door 1mph

1 MPH on a b-pillar with all vents open is well below comparison to other the 5-seaters I tested, try the same process I did by closing the the front vents one at a time like I did, keeping the middle armrest vent open.

You may very well have a disrupted vent connection to the b-pillars, as was reported by others

1 MPH on a b-pillar with all vents open is well below comparison to other the 5-seaters I tested, try the same process I did by closing the the front vents one at a time like I did, keeping the middle armrest vent open.

You may very well have a disrupted vent connection to the b-pillars, as was reported by others
They took it apart the last time i had it in. They said, "working as designed". It's funny that when I'm driving, i feel like a pig on a spit that never gets turned. The pig (me) gets blasted by cool air on my front, while my back and back of my head and neck roast from behind. The regional manager never contacted me on friday like he said he would.

I know you aren''t a lemon law lawyer, but what do you think now?

They took it apart the last time i had it in. They said, "working as designed". It's funny that when I'm driving, i feel like a pig on a spit that never gets turned. The pig (me) gets blasted by cool air on my front, while my back and back of my head and neck roast from behind. The regional manager never contacted me on friday like he said he would.

Like I mentioned, Tesla is poorly designed to deal with legitimate defects and persistent problems. I had to call and angrily complain to corporate before I got contacted by the R.M. even though I was told several times to expect a call from him, it took several weeks. Be sure to threaten Lemon Law.

It's outrageously poor design. The fact that the car is the same space in cubic feet yet the 5 seater DOESN'T get the second A/C unit is wildly unable to keep the rear portion cool. Not to mention the 1mph speed coming out of the side rear vents, it's unacceptable in every way.

Agree, you have a defective unit, now you need to convince them that it is.

I know you aren''t a lemon law lawyer, but what do you think now?

Sent you a PM.

Like I mentioned, Tesla is poorly designed to deal with legitimate defects and persistent problems. I had to call and angrily complain to corporate before I got contacted by the R.M. even though I was told several times to expect a call from him, it took several weeks. Be sure to threaten Lemon Law.

Agree, you have a defective unit, now you need to convince them that it is.

Sent you a PM.
Got it. Thank you for the advice.