Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A-Pack Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Question for all you early Model S adopters with A-pack batteries. Typically Sigs and very early Production cars...

Do you ever hear your car's fans when Supercharging? I never do. I'm currently on a road trip where temps have been in the mid-90's and coming right off the freeway after several hours and plugging in, my car just sits there perfectly silent. Other cars are roaring like jets ready for takeoff! (I do not have it in Range Mode either).

I asked Tesla about this over a year ago and they told me not to worry about it... the car will run it's fans and a/c if it needs to.

This got me wondering if it may have something to do with my early A-pack battery which Supercharges slower than newer cars. I do not perceive any ill effects (loss of range etc.) but it sure seems weird to me.

It could be the car is not as hot since it is not charging as fast. We have A battery and at times the fans have been very loud while supercharging. We made a long trip this spring and I do not recall hearing the fans, but the outside temperatures were fairly low.

I have an October 2015 build Model S P90DL. At higher air temperatures say 90 deg F plus, I have heard my fans run at very high speed and noise levels during supercharging, especially from low SoC situations. I think it is a common experience. I do not *think* I have an A pack, but do not specifically know which I have.

Not an A pack but I noticed sometimes the fans blow crazy and sometimes not at all or only very little and it didn't seem consistent with outside temperatures. Has your car always been that quiet or did it change with different firmware?

Has your car always been that quiet or did it change with different firmware?

It has never, ever made any sounds at all while Supercharging in over 3.5 years. I still find it odd that coming off the freeway after 2-3 hours in mid-90's temperatures results in perfectly silent Supercharging while every other car is roaring away. I am going to schedule my "Annual" with Tesla when I return from my trip and ask them about it again.

It has never, ever made any sounds at all while Supercharging in over 3.5 years. I still find it odd that coming off the freeway after 2-3 hours in mid-90's temperatures results in perfectly silent Supercharging while every other car is roaring away. I am going to schedule my "Annual" with Tesla when I return from my trip and ask them about it again.

That is odd, indeed. It would be interesting to hook up TM-Spy to your car and monitor the battery temperature.

Do the louvers open?

Nope. Never.

At night, can see you see a red glow coming from under the car?

LOL. No.

That is odd, indeed. It would be interesting to hook up TM-Spy to your car and monitor the battery temperature.

I'm not familiar with that. Is this something that I can download and run on a PC?

Fans almost always blast on my 2012 P85 A-pack, especially when I arrive at a low SoC or if it's hot outside. I'm still capped at the slower 90kw charge rate.

This is what has me worried (the fact that my car doesn't do this) even though Tesla Service said "don't worry about it".