TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A-Pack Supercharging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mknox, Aug 29, 2016.

1. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Question for all you early Model S adopters with A-pack batteries. Typically Sigs and very early Production cars...

Do you ever hear your car's fans when Supercharging? I never do. I'm currently on a road trip where temps have been in the mid-90's and coming right off the freeway after several hours and plugging in, my car just sits there perfectly silent. Other cars are roaring like jets ready for takeoff! (I do not have it in Range Mode either).

I asked Tesla about this over a year ago and they told me not to worry about it... the car will run it's fans and a/c if it needs to.

This got me wondering if it may have something to do with my early A-pack battery which Supercharges slower than newer cars. I do not perceive any ill effects (loss of range etc.) but it sure seems weird to me.

2. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

It could be the car is not as hot since it is not charging as fast. We have A battery and at times the fans have been very loud while supercharging. We made a long trip this spring and I do not recall hearing the fans, but the outside temperatures were fairly low.

3. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

I have an October 2015 build Model S P90DL. At higher air temperatures say 90 deg F plus, I have heard my fans run at very high speed and noise levels during supercharging, especially from low SoC situations. I think it is a common experience. I do not *think* I have an A pack, but do not specifically know which I have.

4. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

A 90 pack will not be an A series.

Have heard the fans even on recent supercharging.

5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

2012 A pack - yes, super loud fans when supercharging on road trips in the summer. You can feel the heat dissipation on your feet if you wear sandals.

• Informative x 1
  6. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

2012 A pack, yes I sometimes (though not always) get very loud fans.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

Not an A pack but I noticed sometimes the fans blow crazy and sometimes not at all or only very little and it didn't seem consistent with outside temperatures. Has your car always been that quiet or did it change with different firmware?

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Going to need some CAN data to get to the bottom of this. Do you have TM-Spy?

9. Mike K

Mike K Member

A Pack. Sometimes it sounds like a jet; other times no. The higher the state of charge the less likely you'll get this.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It has never, ever made any sounds at all while Supercharging in over 3.5 years. I still find it odd that coming off the freeway after 2-3 hours in mid-90's temperatures results in perfectly silent Supercharging while every other car is roaring away. I am going to schedule my "Annual" with Tesla when I return from my trip and ask them about it again.

11. apacheguy

Do the louvers open?

12. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

At night, can see you see a red glow coming from under the car?

13. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

have you experienced significant degradation?

14. David99

David99 Active Member

That is odd, indeed. It would be interesting to hook up TM-Spy to your car and monitor the battery temperature.

15. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Fans almost always blast on my 2012 P85 A-pack, especially when I arrive at a low SoC or if it's hot outside. I'm still capped at the slower 90kw charge rate.

16. Lordw88

Lordw88 Member

Nice thread, thanks for sharing!

17. apacheguy

Although, with the throttling that's been going on at most CA superchargers, your A pack probably does just as well as my D ;)

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Nope. Never.

LOL. No.

I'm not familiar with that. Is this something that I can download and run on a PC?

This is what has me worried (the fact that my car doesn't do this) even though Tesla Service said "don't worry about it".

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Well, yes and no. I saw a fairly significant drop in the first year, but it's been pretty flat for the past 2 and a half years. I currently see 223 Rated / 252 Ideal Miles at 90% SOC and 248 Rated / 281 Ideal Miles at 100%. My car has about 72,000 miles on the clock.

20. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Maybe it's a faulty temperature sensor. I've not used TM-spy but if it can log battery temps, hopefully you should be able to see if the temps are actually measured correctly.