Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Push for Diesel Leaves London Gasping Amid Record Pollution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I like to bash Toyota, it is hard for me to argue that the Prius does not make a major contribution towards better air quality.

Priuses are a fraction of Toyota sales. 2015 - >10 million gas cars, with their pickup and SUV lines being among the dirtiest brands sold, and 560,000 Priuses. So ~5% or 1:20? So a fleet drop by far less than 1/2 a mpg. I believe the 2016 numbers are lower.

Priuses do burn gasoline, and their mileage is very good, but does it completely offset their 20% dirtier large vehicles? Oddly enough, Toyota is not a world tech leader in emissions controls.

The Myth of Toyota Emissions Supremacy. The most common car is the 4 door sedan, medium.

Toyota makes a Camry Hybrid, Chevy a Malibu Hybrid, and Ford a Fusion Hybrid.

So the Toyota will be cleaner with better MPG right? Not even close. Poor technology hampers Toyota from competing against other companies in emissions levels or MPG.

Compare Side-by-Side

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux and SD_Engnr
That is unfortunate when in Paris you can only drive in to the city every other day and you cannot see the sun.

The stupidest thing is to allow fireplaces. Even around here it's terrible and stupid. It makes your house colder, and is a gross polluter. We have never even used ours in 10 years other than Day One to insure it functioned.

Reactions: jerry33
I was going to click on "Funny", but a "Sad" rating would be more appropriate ...

He's already repainting the White House with lead paint, doing the floors in baby seal pelts, and using the reflection pool for nuclear waste storage.

Soon he will issue an Executive Order to burn every second building in the USA to turn the skies black.

I never understood why Europe has not adopted the hybrid or electric vehicles and promoted the diesel.

Head in the sand with most city councils. Nottingham has the worse air quality and yet we have busses clogging city centre with diesel fumes.
I've had an electric car for 3 years but not able to rapid charge in city centre which is a disgrace. Council is interested in revenue from parking and bus lane infringements than air quality.

Anyway my BMW is up for sale if anyone wants to stop the £22 daily London fees! ;))

Even worse in the EU because many of the continental governments subsidize diesel. The UK is an interesting outlier because diesel is popular there despite price parity with petrol

Diesel has lower production costs. It's price is controlled by futures speculation in most areas.

An ultra high compression engine with no throttle plate is always going cream a spark engine in both CO2 and MPG hence why even when diesel cost more per liter, it is still often cheaper to use.

I go about 40% (yes, measured) further per gallon with diesel on the same trip, same load. The more mountains, and the heavier the load, the greater the advantage.

Reactions: diesel
The UK is an interesting outlier because diesel is popular there despite price parity with petrol

Price parity on a per-gallon basis, not price parity on an energy content basis, so although not as extreme as elsewhere in Europe diesel has still been cheaper to run here for as long as I can remember.

In the past, that was offset by the higher capital cost of diesels, so high mileage drivers bought diesel and low mileage drivers bought petrol. However, once C02 became a policy issue the government started to encourage diesel in various other ways - notably "company car" taxation (ie. cars bought by companies and made available to staff for their private use). Company car purchases are a big chunk of the market here, and affect the general market once those vehicles get sold as used as well as skewing the models that manufacturers choose to build. If you go shopping for, say, a BMW here you will find many of the models in the showroom are diesels.

Hence the big shift to diesel that has happened over the past ~10 years here, and the consequent effect on air quality.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
:rolleyes:

sure the blokes good for a laugh and makes a half-decent tv show, but really no right minded person believes a word he says.

let's just leave that one there :D

Apparently the BBC believes words Clarkson utters, hence his current employment situation. :D

Hammond does narratives for science documentaries. When Clarkson did the screen test for the shows, he refused the job because somebody claimed the earth was not flat. James May was not considered because they were not sure he could stay awake for a 60 minute shooting.

• Funny
Reactions: Carl and thegruf
Less than in the 1950's.

Transport makes up around 45%. The rest is made up of gas boilers (heating & hot water) and other industry. (link)

That actually is a badly written but interesting article as it discusses the issue relating to diesel emissions in relation to other pollution sources in particular PM10 emissions from petrol cars.
This is a phenomenon which has been recently increasing due to the adoption of direct injection petrol engines

Also something that is not commonly commented on is that NOx emissions are strongly linked to the level of perfomance of a diesel engine, in fact lower specific bhp/litre engines eg buses and trucks are nothing like as bad for NOx though of course soot and PM10s are still present.

Interesting to note that brakes contribute significantly to PM10 emissions - guess where EVs with regen score yet again.

Lancaster University have recently done research on metal particulates and whilst the research is in its early stages, there are already some worrying indications for health:
Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain | Lancaster University

Reactions: J1mbo