Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Sydneysider thinking of a holiday in Tasmania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll keep an eye on the "Adventures".

Just another thought. If we are driving through Victoria, from Sydney, to get to Tasmania, will we need to pay any EV charge, if they are passed ( sorry about the long sentence).
If the answer is yes, forget about any domestic holidays in Victoria.

I see a future problem with all these Teslas on the road.
When I got mine ,Dec 2019, there wasn't many around. Now there is a lot more.
Remote charging is going to become an issue I suspect.
....especially if Tesla make the supercharge network generally available.
I can see the logic from the point of view of the company - income - but frankly it removes one of the two USPs of Teslas, and in many ways now that every manufacturer is offering cars at all sorts of price range, the primary one. They will have to sell an awful lot of electrons to make up for the loss of sales of the cars, I think.
If they were to make the chargers available for emergency use only - by say charging $5 per KWh, it would make more sense.

Reactions: paulp
When I got my first tesla we had a grand sum of zero chargers of any kind in adelaide. We have more ev’s and more chargers now. It all grows together And will keep growing together, just as servo’d have for petrol cars.
Like many people (not suggesting a majority) I rarely use public charging infrastructure.
There is also the cost that keeps it controlled. I can get my 75kwh at home for $4.12 (less than the cost of 2litres of dinosaur juice) during the day (loss of FIT) or $15 at night. Cheaper than any fast charging station…although i do have car lifetime free supercharging.

Last edited:
I'm guessing because you're posting here you mean specifically in Tassie? I think we're pretty well served at the moment. Most of the driving is between Burnie, Devonport, Launceston and Hobart (a 325 km stretch). A Model 3 SR+/RWD could do this in one leg, and even then there are 4x sites en route with 2x 350 kW chargers at each. That's excluding the fast charging options available within each city as well the Tesla superchargers in Devonport (as well as wherever else they may build out).

As for the remote routes (east/west coast mainly), traffic is highly seasonal so its possible there may be congestion at busy times of the year. However there are additional fast chargers coming which will not only provide alternate sites to use if one is busy, but will allow more options for drivers to stop where it suits them, not dictated by the fast charger locations. They'll also provide options for older short range EVs which may find they are running short earlier than planned.

1646865389974.png

I'm guessing because you're posting here you mean specifically in Tassie? I think we're pretty well served at the moment. Most of the driving is between Burnie, Devonport, Launceston and Hobart (a 325 km stretch). A Model 3 SR+/RWD could do this in one leg, and even then there are 4x sites en route with 2x 350 kW chargers at each. That's excluding the fast charging options available within each city as well the Tesla superchargers in Devonport (as well as wherever else they may build out).

As for the remote routes (east/west coast mainly), traffic is highly seasonal so its possible there may be congestion at busy times of the year. However there are additional fast chargers coming which will not only provide alternate sites to use if one is busy, but will allow more options for drivers to stop where it suits them, not dictated by the fast charger locations. They'll also provide options for older short range EVs which may find they are running short earlier than planned.

View attachment 778888
You need a "Futurue Supercharger" marking as well, for Hobart!

....especially if Tesla make the supercharge network generally available.
I can see the logic from the point of view of the company - income - but frankly it removes one of the two USPs of Teslas, and in many ways now that every manufacturer is offering cars at all sorts of price range, the primary one. They will have to sell an awful lot of electrons to make up for the loss of sales of the cars, I think.
If they were to make the chargers available for emergency use only - by say charging $5 per KWh, it would make more sense.
On the other hand, if there are more users there will be more stations, which is convenient for Tesla owners too.

It seems like public charging infrastructure penetration is still ahead of EV uptake penetration, with one accelerating with the other. That being the case things look rosy. Has anyone had much trouble with needing to queue anywhere? My only experience of that is at a quite central 50kW charger that everyone ducks into for some free electricity.

The supercharger at Heatherbrae is quite popular, but I have always found a spot there when I wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq
It seems like public charging infrastructure penetration is still ahead of EV uptake penetration, with one accelerating with the other. That being the case things look rosy. Has anyone had much trouble with needing to queue anywhere. My only experience of that is at a quite central 50kW charger that everyone ducks into for some free electricity.

The supercharger at Heatherbrae is quite popular, but I have always found a spot there when I wanted.
The only place I have seen full is Broadway during the Xmas holidays pre Covid. Fortunately there were some destination chargers available and I plugged Into one of those and came back 15 minutes later and moved to a Supercharger.

Reactions: Hairyman
Like many people (not suggesting a majority) I rarely use public charging infrastructure.
There is also the cost that keeps it controlled. I can get my 75kwh at home for $4.12 (less than the cost of 2litres of dinosaur juice) during the day (loss of FIT) or $15 at night. Cheaper than any fast charging station…although i do have car lifetime free supercharging.
Not sure what your tariff is, but $15 for 75kWh at night is awful. 10pm to 7am is dirt cheap in country NSW.

CAC2DF45-5E66-4B5A-98AB-FCB6EF7F69F4.jpeg

I only charge at 12 amps (3kW) though, as I only have a UMC and a 15 amp outlet. It’s not like the US (ahem) where almost every garage has a high power NEMA 14-50 outlet. Even 15 amps isn’t especially common. I wouldn’t want to be stuck on 2kW trying to charge a 50kWh battery.

And my actual usage is skewed as I have gas hot water, gas cooking, and I use almost no power (chest fridge, low power devices, LED lighting & pedestal fans).