Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been a controversial topic with many unsure what the yoke steering wheel will be like. Well fortunately for the curious, there is one good example of someone driving the KITT car on the public roads that talks about why it is not great for sharp turns.

See 3:05 in this video:

Also, the NHTSA is looking into whether it is even actually legal for them to produce it:

NHTSA Not Sure If Tesla Can Actually Sell Yoke-Shaped Steering Wheel | Carscoops

Spot on analysis.

"You can't palm it 'cause your dick's right there" :)

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3
There's definitely some weak..spots as so well outlined in this article below.

Tesla's new steering yoke isn't retro, it's a safety risk

I like this point..

"More rotation means slower turning, yes, but it also means more precision and frankly greater safety. A razor-sharp steering rack is a great thing on the racetrack. On the highway, a tiny bump to the wheel would send you spearing across three lanes of traffic. For your average driver, that's a risky proposition. Many companies have deployed steering racks that offer variable rates, changing based on speed and steering angle. Even at their quickest, though, these racks don't eliminate the need to reposition your hands for common, daily maneuvers. On top of that, most of them have been panned for making cars feel less predictable and, ultimately, less fun to drive."

And this one..

"Losing your grip
Ever hit a pothole and have the steering wheel slip in your hands? It's disconcerting, but so long as your wheel is round (or D-shaped at least) you can quickly regrip the wheel. Now, imagine that happening on Tesla's new steering yoke. At least one of your hands is going to be grasping at thin air."

And this one...

"Breaking wrists, or faces
Imagine the above scenario but in a more serious situation, like a frontal or side impact. When the front wheels of a car are involved in the impact, the steering wheel can very forcefully twist in one direction or another.

While it's possible to get a sprained wrist or even a broken thumb if you're gripping the wheel too hard, a round wheel will naturally shield your hands and the rest of your person from serious injury. The leading edge of a spinning yoke, on the other hand, has the potential to catch your hands, legs, or even your head if it's a significant enough frontal impact."

All of that said, I could be totally wrong and the yoke is a game changer that defies all odds. We shall see.

There's definitely some weak..spots as so well outlined in this article below.

Tesla's new steering yoke isn't retro, it's a safety risk

I like this point..

"More rotation means slower turning, yes, but it also means more precision and frankly greater safety.

All of that said, I could be totally wrong and the yoke is a game changer that defies all odds. We shall see.

Literally everyone is speculating based upon nothing more than some other asshole's opinion. At least this one had the audacity to disclaim his opinion with the only real point: "We shall see."

Why on earth do people look at the masturbatory videos of other idiot's opinions based on the same limited information they already have?

Reactions: Hayseed_MS and 46&2
At this point I think the yoke is just part of Elon’s free marketing tactic. Sure, some people will be turned away (for now). But the yoke attracted tons of attention and when they introduce a regular steering wheel option (which I think is inevitable), Tesla will attract just as much attention and everyone that hated the yoke will know that there is a solution.

Essentially you can drive with any kind of steering system. Two ropes, seat balance, eye movement, and I even watched a guy who was paralyzed from the neck down try to set a land speed record in a pickup in the dirt by blowing air into a tube.

But you should always ask yourself before reworking a User Interface if it's going to improve anything. Perhaps the yoke is going to be a Poor Man's HUD? Meh.

Standardization and easy use on UI's is the goal unless you has a solid eng'g reason to dink with it. Are you listening Microsoft and you TOO Apple?

I cannot find that on the tesla web site. i thought i saw it in the first day or two after the announcement, but the few specs on the page are now quite thin on details...
Go to the Model S Ordering page.
Scroll down to Interior.
Click on Feature Details.
There’ll then be a bunch of mini-pages/panes to swipe through, right to left.
Last one has the info you want (scroll down to ‘Comfort’). :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
At this point I think the yoke is just part of Elon’s free marketing tactic.
Sure, some people will be turned away (for now).
But the yoke attracted tons of attention and when they introduce a regular steering wheel option (which I think is inevitable),
Tesla will attract just as much attention and everyone that hated the yoke will know that there is a solution.
The Model S and X sales have been continually declining (see below chart)

Do you think that changing the dash board, adding an heat pump, while keeping the 18650 cells,
and hijacking the price by $10k, would reverse this trend?

Do you think that the update was sufficient to get a noticeable sale increase,
especially with the arrival of other EVs in the market?

Tesla-Sales-Quarterly-Deliveries-2016-2020.png

My father just ordered an S and we're betting that the actual delivered cars won't have a yoke or the silly AI shifter. If these start deliveries and have yokes and no shifters, he's just going to forgo the $100.

I am in the same boat. I ordered one but I also will walk away from it when it gets time to pay for it if there is no normal steering wheel option. I also do not like that they are removing the stalks and squeezing too much functionality to just the wheel controls.

I am in the same boat. I ordered one but I also will walk away from it when it gets time to pay for it if there is no normal steering wheel option. I also do not like that they are removing the stalks and squeezing too much functionality to just the wheel controls.

I know its Tesla and odd things happen, but confused why you would even order a presumed spec that you have no interest in? Wait 2-3 more weeks until the first 1 is delivered and see if it has a yolk or not. Its not like model S's are ever more than 4-6 weeks from order to delivery. I also ordered and could car less if it has a stalk and/or yolk, but since that's what's on the spec sheet, no reason to think otherwise.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015

That's new...

"I am going to order the car and if it comes as I ordered it, I will reject it". Thanks for wasting Tesla's time and taking that vehicle away from someone who would buy it.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
Interesting some saying they would not buy a new Model S because they are waiting for the new stuff on the refresh.

Now others are saying they would not buy a refreshed Model S because of the new stuff.
Tesla is inconsistent in their approach to the products. They build excellent power train but handling is rather mediocre - that unforgetable barge feeling of a classic MS. They can get you to 60 mph in 2 seconds but they don't want you to drive over complicating the controls. They have best UI but you can't have Waze with speed trap reports. MX can open a door for you but there is no kick sensor for the trunk. They have AI deep rain but can't afford 5 dollar sensor.

Tesla clearly experience light to medium state of schizophrenia and no wonder that customers follow twists and bumps of Tesla mind

What’s the rush? I’m gonna wait until they get some in to test drive, even if it is months out. Do you really want the first ones off the refreshed assembly line? I guess I understand the “I want to be the first one on the block “ but on my block 0% of the people would even notice. Maybe the yoke will be the best thing ever, I doubt it but I am going to give it a fair shake. I think the deleted wiper/gear stalks are a bigger deal. I have been driving for the past week consciously not using the top part of the steering wheel. Actually it’s not very difficult at all. If you turn the wheel more than 180 degrees at any speed over 30mph it would be a surprise. In parking lots I just been having one hand on the inside of the wheel and spin it around.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
That's new...

"I am going to order the car and if it comes as I ordered it, I will reject it". Thanks for wasting Tesla's time and taking that vehicle away from someone who would buy it.

This wouldn't "take it away" from someone else looking to buy one. If the car is rejected, it would most likely end up as another new inventory car for a different customer to snap up. Tesla already builds cars on spec in hopes of being able to match with custom orders, people looking for quick delivery, etc..