Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to click order now...60/60D???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in NY and hand wringing over getting the 60D. Yes we get snow and I currently have a 4 X 4 but my wife's Lexus (FWD) handles just fine. BUT, the 60D will be rear wheel drive:( On Long Island but have upstate house, ughhhh I guess i'll be paying the 5k and might go with standard seats. See, I go back and forth on almost every option but the AP. That I consider a must have :0

I'm in NY and hand wringing over getting the 60D. Yes we get snow and I currently have a 4 X 4 but my wife's Lexus (FWD) handles just fine. BUT, the 60D will be rear wheel drive:( On Long Island but have upstate house, ughhhh I guess i'll be paying the 5k and might go with standard seats. See, I go back and forth on almost every option but the AP. That I consider a must have :0

A whole lot of Norwegians have done just fine in RWD Model Ss for a few years now (on snow tires, mostly, I think.) Tesla made it one of the best RWD cars on the snow I'm told.

However, if you're going to drive it in winter weather, it seems like an easy choice to me - it isn't that much of the price, and gives you a bunch of other benefits.

Reactions: jgs
A whole lot of Norwegians have done just fine in RWD Model Ss for a few years now (on snow tires, mostly, I think.) Tesla made it one of the best RWD cars on the snow I'm told.

However, if you're going to drive it in winter weather, it seems like an easy choice to me - it isn't that much of the price, and gives you a bunch of other benefits.
Yes the more I think about it the easier the decision is. I will get dual though I'm sure the RWD would be just fine in the winter weather. Somehow cars have done just fine (mostly) in the snow with RWD for a hundred years :)

To me its all about the range, distance travelled in town 70% of the time is not that much, but for those times I do drive between towns it would be imperative to have a car that would be able to cover 400km or more, so I personally would go with a 60 and upgrade if be to a 75.

I have thought about it too much! I will order tomorrow after talking to the wife tonight! Went to a Tesla showroom today with a few questions and to look at the colors and interiors in person. I had already decided on red but my daughter talked me into the white. Without intending to, she saved me $1500. Shocking considering she usually costs me a fortune :)
I don't believe there is any more decisions for me to rack my brain on so JUST DO IT!

• Love
Reactions: jgs
I actually find the front motor ''whine" pretty annoying around town. I didn't realize how much it bugged me until I had an original 60 as a loaner for two weeks a while back.
I wonder what accounts for the seemingly great variability of reaction to the front motor. I barely notice it. I don't know if it's a personal preference thing, variable build quality, hearing acuity, or what, but there seems to be a wide distribution of reactions. Given that high-frequency hearing acuity drops off with age, maybe that? I'm in my late forties and as mentioned, am not bothered at all by the front drive unit.

I have thought about it too much! I will order tomorrow after talking to the wife tonight! Went to a Tesla showroom today with a few questions and to look at the colors and interiors in person. I had already decided on red but my daughter talked me into the white. Without intending to, she saved me $1500. Shocking considering she usually costs me a fortune :)
I don't believe there is any more decisions for me to rack my brain on so JUST DO IT!

Still thinking about it but more financing versus color but once the financing question is sorted out, color will be a dilemma!!

Torn between white, red, and dark gray or whatever Tesla calls it.

I am in the same situation. In the last few days I have changed the order from 60 to 60D and now back to 60 again.

Ultimately I would like to spec the car like a classic GT car. Performance cruiser with minimum noise. The front motor is VERY audible if you have sensitive hearing.

Test drove the 70D and it drives like a video game arcade machine. Everything is super precise. But sterile.

Both are great I think. You can't order a bad Tesla.

Reactions: davidc18 and ggnykk
I guess it depends! Im in soCal and have a RWD on order, but im thinking to incur the 500 dollar change fee and go for a D, why? for the simple fact that my last two cars were RWD and I want to switch it up.... but I'm still undecided as well!

Yeah, I am in the same camp. Had RX8, BMW 330 and currently on LS460. I just love the feeling of been pushed by a RWD. The S70D I test drove was simply too perfect in road holding. Here on the Gold Coast, Australia, weather is always perfect. Never gets cold and hardly rains. Very similar to soCal. The D would not really do much for day to day driving.

Last but not least, I am a gambler by nature. Expecting Tesla to discontinue the Single Motor by end of this year. Maybe we get a "free upgrade" to a software simulated 60 but gets 60D hardware? Just dreaming.... lol

Reactions: ggnykk