TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Accelerating and decelerating thud noise

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Hoegaarden12, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Hoegaarden12

Hoegaarden12 Member

Hey forum,

Anyone experiencing an accelerating and decelerating thud noise? It's really apparent when from a stopped position, you press the gas and the car lurches forward. It sounds like something is shifting back and then shifting forward.

The sound is coming from the back of the car and I made sure that nothing in the truck is causing it.

I have eibach lowered springs in. Contacted SC but they wanted to charge me for just looking at it.

Any feedback to what this is caused by? I'll try and upload a video of the noise soon.

2. Adrien

Adrien Member

Yes! I had this. Kind of sounded like a pinball was rolling back and forth smacking metal on metal whenever accel/decel occured. I told the tech to take a look when I had my HW3 computer put in. They instantly knew what it was. Something about the linkages needing to be tightened up. Definitely fixed the issue though and sounds very common.

• Like x 1
  3. slg-naper

slg-naper Member

I had similar issue when I first got mine in may 2018...issue was bad bushings in rear subframe.

• Like x 1
  4. Hoegaarden12

Hoegaarden12 Member

Update. Looks like half shaft needed lubing. Covered in basic vehicle warranty.

Thanks all for your input!

SnipImage.JPG