Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I am planning on the LR and buying the acceleration boost. Of course I am intrigued by the performance model but price difference and other variables make it seem like the LR is my best option.

There is about a .5 second difference it seems from my hours of research.

But numbers aside how do they both "feel" when launching/accelerating? No hyperbole please, just honest brass tax differences.

There's a bit less of a punch off the line than the performance, but the 1/8 and 1/4 times are pretty much identical.

But the 2021 performances also have less of that punch off the line than the older ones do. It feels to me that they make up for the softer launch on the new performances by turning up the wick a bit when the car is already in motion compared to what it used to be.

There's a bit less of a punch off the line than the performance, but the 1/8 and 1/4 times are pretty much identical.

But the 2021 performances also have less of that punch off the line than the older ones do. It feels to me that they make up for the softer launch on the new performances by turning up the wick a bit when the car is already in motion compared to what it used to be.

I don't see how a typical gap of 0.3-0.5 in the 1/4th is identical. Thats a pretty noticeable margin at the strip. I've seen a Performance hit 11.4s in the quarter. Never seen a Boosted LR hit that number.

I don't see how a typical gap of 0.3-0.5 in the 1/4th is identical. Thats a pretty noticeable margin at the strip. I've seen a Performance hit 11.4s in the quarter. Never seen a Boosted LR hit that number.
Theres like, average person idea of identical performance (whithin a second), then there is enthusiast idea (within a tenth), then there is competitive racer (within a thousandth)

Reactions: suyoungman and Sam1
So the P gets the hit from a dig but the boosted LR does slightly better on a roll? (Boosted LR on the right) I wonder what the SOC was on both during these runs.. Mine is a boosted LR with the 980 motor and a lightweight Ohmmu 12v battery if that makes any difference. I can probably look into that Ghost Upgrade from Ingenext one day but the boost is good for now.

Probably already posted (If so sorry).

So the P gets the hit from a dig but the boosted LR does slightly better on a roll? (Boosted LR on the right) I wonder what the SOC was on both during these runs.. Mine is a boosted LR with the 980 motor and a lightweight Ohmmu 12v battery if that makes any difference. I can probably look into that Ghost Upgrade from Ingenext one day but the boost is good for now.

Probably already posted (If so sorry).

Video is uncalibrated nonsense. The AWD+ is never faster than the P at any point.

Actual measured data on the various configs below:

LRAWD2.png

There are numerous videos you can reference that shows at past 60mph the AWD and AWD+ catching or pulling away from a P. The chart you referenced only shows up to 60mph.

No, it does not.

It shows 1/8 and 1/4 mile as well, where the P is always both quicker and faster.

"internet video" is not calibrated and measured data.

You can also reference WUGZ actual CANBUS data showing the P always makes more power too.

Reactions: P-Lo801 and Sorny
No, it does not.

It shows 1/8 and 1/4 mile as well, where the P is always both quicker and faster.

"internet video" is not calibrated and measured data.

You can also reference WUGZ actual CANBUS data showing the P always makes more power too.

With all due respect, I honestly don't know what you mean about "internet video" is not calibrated, etc. You can clearly just watch it with your own eyes and see the results on several runs. Not just this video either but others. I'm with you that on a drag strip the P is going to take the W every time but too much out there that shows on a roll especially 60+ mph the boosted LR and P are pretty much dead even and in some cases the boosted LR will start to walk a bit on the P. I assume this is just merely from the extra weight of the P's beefier brakes and 20in wheels.

Reactions: VipinLJ
With all due respect, I honestly don't know what you mean about "internet video" is not calibrated, etc. You can clearly just watch it with your own eyes and see the results on several runs.

It means it's relying on human reaction times, not calibrated measuring devices.

Nobody ever shows a draggy result where a P loses to a boosted AWD at any speed.

Because that doesn't actually happen.

There's no point in the power curve of either, based on WUGZ canbus data, that the P produces less power.

on a roll especially 60+ mph the boosted LR and P are pretty much dead even

Close to even when starting north of 50-60 mph? Sure.

You can see that reflected by the relative gap in 1/8 and 1/4 mile times not changing significantly. Nearly all the extra power on the P is below those speeds.

and in some cases the boosted LR will start to walk a bit on the P.

In all those cases the P driver must have reacted slower (or there's a large SoC difference which would be another example of calibration failure in testing- or I guess maybe the P has 4 people in it or something like that- the brakes aren't remotely enough of a weight difference to matter at speed- and there's Ps on 18s and stock brakes anyway
)

There's no actual reason that'd cause that result otherwise based on all the measured data available.

Again a draggy can show you 10 mph breakouts (they're included up to 60 in my chart in fact).

Nobody shows an AWD beating a P in any 10 mph increment, because that's not a thing that actually happens when measured correctly.

Last edited:
It means it's relying on human reaction times, not calibrated measuring devices.

Show me draggy or vbox results of a P vs LR or LR with AB at anything above 60mph or 60-130. You keep referencing 1/4 times and 0-60 times. Above 60 and roll racing where surface and traction limitations are eliminated the story changes comparing the 3 cars.

I own a 19 LR with 18's and I have 3 friends with performance 3's (a 19, 20, and 21). I have roll raced all of them (typically 60 to 100 to 110). In every instance its dead even or I pull away especially my friends 21 P. The pre-21 cars are noticeably faster. SOC's are allways within 5% and we work within a 3 mile radius so battery temps are near exact also.

dragtimes also proved this on his video of the AB vs P. Charged at the same place and to the same SOC. Carwow showed a 19 LR catching and pulling away from a 21 P in a roll race as well.