Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This email was just sent to all Model 3 Long-Range All-Wheel Drive owners:

upload_2019-12-19_0-40-57.png

As a long-time TSLA investor (since 2012 @ 30.09; many add-ons highest is $199), I am very happy to see Tesla do these aftermarket upsells to increase revenues. As an owner, I already paid $2,000 for the future FSD option. If TSLA stock is at $400+ on 12/31/2019, then I shall "donate" another $2,000 to the cause to get my 0-60 speed increased. At least I won't have to wait for it! :cool:

That said I manually updated my app and don’t have an option for upgrades (that I can find). SR+ so no acceleration boost here, which makes sense.

Looks like it's for AWD only. Things got super confusing when people started mining the page source and thinking the acceleration boost might apply to all models.

I got the below e-mail just ~30 minutes ago:

The Acceleration Boost is now available for Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive owners.
Boost your acceleration from Standard to Sport and improve your 0-60 mph time from 4.4 seconds to 3.9 seconds.
You will receive the update once your car is parked — connect to Wi-Fi to update sooner. Note, you will need to have software version 2019.40.2 installed for the upgrade to complete.
Log into your Tesla Account and select Upgrades to purchase. You can now also purchase upgrades from the Tesla app — download version 3.10.3 to access the Upgrades menu.​

Hmm. Seems silly they would add a whole upgrades menu just for this one item. Hopefully more “upgrades” are incoming.

That said I manually updated my app and don’t have an option for upgrades (that I can find). SR+ so no acceleration boost here, which makes sense.

You’ll probably see an option to enable the rear seat heaters in your SR+ at some point

Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: Jffurlan
As a long-time TSLA investor (since 2012 @ 30.09; many add-ons highest is $199), I am very happy to see Tesla do these aftermarket upsells to increase revenues. As an owner, I already paid $2,000 for the future FSD option. If TSLA stock is at $400+ on 12/31/2019, then I shall "donate" another $2,000 to the cause to get my 0-60 speed increased. At least I won't have to wait for it! :cool:

Hola, fellow 2012 investor! I have to confess I certainly didn't expect the stock to end up where it's currently at, but my one lesson from Buffett has been to HOLD on companies I believe in, so that's paid off nicely. I, too, am very happy to see Tesla try to get more money out of their existing owners for "free". While I'm aware that testing/engineering isn't free, but when comparing to aftermarket parts with high labor, low markup, and low adoption, the OTA unlock is gold. It keeps existing customers happy, generates buzz in the industry, and helps with revenue.

with this particular upgrade, that does not look to be the case Dan... I've gotten almost exactly the same wh/m with my stealth over 5k miles that I did with my dual motor. to be fair, some may be more tempted to floor it than I am, but, I think the big wheels vs. 18s with aeros on is bulk of the difference for most people. Tesla's 2020 EPA ratings actually show the exact same range for the dual motor and the P with 18" wheels.

Actually, if you look at the 2020 EPA FE Guide spreadsheet, the 2020 stealth would realistically get better range than the LR-AWD as Tesla has "Combined range voluntarily lowered from 332 miles" to match the advertised 322 of the LR-AWD.

Ok, so this car new (pre 2019.36.2.1 software) was listed as 4.4s. Then after the 5% increase from the software update, the posted 0-60 times never changed, but how could they not have with a 5% increase?

Now, with another upgrade being offered for $2k, what is the real world upgrade? It probably isn't 4.4s to 3.9s, it's probably something like 4.2s to 3.9s. (No science involved, just pure guessing).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? If my guess above is right, it makes it a hard sell for $2k. Dropping the 0-60 to the mid 3's would be worth the $2k, as that would be closer to what you would get for a Stealth Model 3, which is around the same $ difference, I think.

I just stupidly accidentally clicked the “pay” button and didn’t have a chance to confirm or anything. Got charged CHF 2k (Swiss Francs) without having any opportunity to cancel. Now I’m bouncing between sales and service to try and cancel the order before the upgrade is sent to the car (each says the other is responsible). Last resort will be to challenge the order with the credit card company...lesson learned to not store the credit card number on file with Tesla.

I just stupidly accidentally clicked the “pay” button and didn’t have a chance to confirm or anything. Got charged CHF 2k (Swiss Francs) without having any opportunity to cancel. Now I’m bouncing between sales and service to try and cancel the order before the upgrade is sent to the car (each says the other is responsible). Last resort will be to challenge the order with the credit card company...lesson learned to not store the credit card number on file with Tesla.

Me too, I did the exact same thing a few hours ago. Don't feel too stupid, it's a confusing design whether on purpose or not.

Failed to get anyone on the phone, sent them an email. I went for a drive, feels much faster off the line and at higher speeds. I would probably have bought it after pulling my hair out for few days anyway.

Hmm. Seems silly they would add a whole upgrades menu just for this one item. Hopefully more “upgrades” are incoming.

It’s actually useful as it shows you what upgrades you already have. Bet they got sick of the ‘do I have AP or FSD or what?!’ questions. :D

You have to for Supercharging. Weird they don’t have a confirm on it. The Apple Pay of course makes you click twice. Never heard of a purchase option that says ‘done’. They really don’t QA some stuff.....

Hola, fellow 2012 investor! I have to confess I certainly didn't expect the stock to end up where it's currently at, but my one lesson from Buffett has been to HOLD on companies I believe in, so that's paid off nicely. I, too, am very happy to see Tesla try to get more money out of their existing owners for "free". While I'm aware that testing/engineering isn't free, but when comparing to aftermarket parts with high labor, low markup, and low adoption, the OTA unlock is gold. It keeps existing customers happy, generates buzz in the industry, and helps with revenue.

Hi sodakar! When I first bought TSLA, I thought it would either go to zero or be very successful, so it was in my speculative category. My investment thesis began with my Model S reservation in August 2011 with Troy Jones at the original roadster assembly/store on El Camino Real. I reserved an S after test-driving a roadster. That gave my family an invite to the October 2011 "MODEL S BETA RIDE EVENT" at Tesla's factory in my hometown. We all gathered around to see one of the Beta's drive up to a raised platform and watch Elon's presentation. Then an engineer gave us a tour of the Model S' first Kuka robot assembly line under construction, including the massive stamping press inherited from GM/Toyota. We received three plastic molded models of the Model S from the plastic molding machines. When I took my ride in the Model S, I felt like I had just automotively time-traveled about 10+ years into the future!!! (I was used to gas and diesel Mercedes starting with a 1983 380sl roadster onwards.) I didn't start investing in the name until 6/13/2012 @ $30.09, since it had been announced the first customers would receive their Model S on June 22. I felt that de-risked my investment somewhat.

I've also noticed over many years investing successful companies whose founders stuck around to lead them tended to outperform S&P 500. Many obvious examples (besides TSLA): AMZN, ORCL, MSFT, INTC, FB, GOOG, APPL after Jobs was re-hired, etc. Besides the founders' massive equity self-interest, their reputations are at stake.

Many years ago, I did s/w eng consulting on a large team led by a woman who had direct-reported to Larry Ellison. She said he was extremely demanding of his employees: they had no work-life balance. Sound familiar? Fast forward to today I'm sure most of you know Larry sits on Elon's BOD with 3M shares:

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/01/08/tesla-tsla-board-member-larry-ellison-1-billion-stake/

I expect that eventually, TSLA will start paying dividends just like most of the names on my list above do once it becomes mature, and its high-growth phase is mostly over.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MagnusMako
All not done any 0-60 timed runs, but the Boost does make the car seem distinctly more "biting at the bit" to go, which is nice. I was expecting a new acceleration mode in the Driving screen, but in fact it just renames the mode from "Standard" to "Sport", so after the upgrade the choices are "Chill" or "Sport".

Ok, so this car new (pre 2019.36.2.1 software) was listed as 4.4s. Then after the 5% increase from the software update, the posted 0-60 times never changed, but how could they not have with a 5% increase?

Now, with another upgrade being offered for $2k, what is the real world upgrade? It probably isn't 4.4s to 3.9s, it's probably something like 4.2s to 3.9s. (No science involved, just pure guessing).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? If my guess above is right, it makes it a hard sell for $2k. Dropping the 0-60 to the mid 3's would be worth the $2k, as that would be closer to what you would get for a Stealth Model 3, which is around the same $ difference, I think.
This is where I am with this. I said the same thing. With the last 5% OTA THE 0-60 dropped to the low 4 second range more 4.3-4.2 ish. And their 1/4mile times went down to about 12.2. So I’m a little confused on boost. But still 2k for another 3-4tenths in the 1/4 in the quarter isn’t bad. Hell people would 3-5k for full bolt on parts to pick up a half second is times. I’m still 50/50 on it but now I’m curious if there will be autograft for the performance model as the AWD is Inching closer to performance.