Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s my understanding that adding isn’t a problem with features. It’s removing that’s the problem.

If that was also something you picked up from Tesla CS, you may want to deposit it in the "likely fake news" information bin. ;)

Enjoy your car and stop talking to Tesla. $59k for a Performance Model 3 (Stealth) with EAP purchased in September 2018 is a good deal. Way cheaper than what you can purchase today after everything (credits, etc.) is taken into account.

I wish that were so, but it's not. You replied to the wrong person :)

(though in fairness at the time I bought my LR AWD it was $11,000 more for a P3D- so I'm still ok having only paid 2k for half the 11k worth of acceleration)

I find that interesting that you are OK paying the same for today's stealth price, but only getting half the performance, based on "yesterday's" price originally being higher. I wish I could see it that way - or maybe not because it is currently saving me $2K..lol.

That $2K will be immediately gone from my savings should they up the boost performance to be substantially closer to stealth performance -- or if they do a price cut to around $1K - then I would definitely get it as well. Heck, I'd even consider splurging if they dropped it to $1,200. :)

Last edited:
I find that interesting that you are OK paying the same for today's stealth price, but only getting half the performance, based on "yesterday's" price originally being higher.

Why?

It's not like I can pay 2k and just trade my car for a P after all.

It'd still cost me way more than 2k to get a P today given I already have the LR AWD.

So to me as an existing owner it makes a lot more sense to look at the upgrade I can buy today versus what the available upgrade at purchase would've cost me. So 2k today for ~0.45 quicker, versus 11k at purchase for ~0.9 quicker. (and yes also track mode, but I don't have much use for that- hell I barely have use for the quicker acceleration otherwise I'd have paid the 11k :p)

Now for a NEW buyer today? Absolutely if they can get a P3D- for 2k more than an AWD (which we don't know will keep being true into 2020, and you've got to be willing to take whatever color/wheel package you find in inventory) they should do that instead of the 2k boost.

Why?

It's not like I can pay 2k and just trade my car for a P after all.

It'd still cost me way more than 2k to get a P today given I already have the LR AWD.

So to me as an existing owner it makes a lot more sense to look at the upgrade I can buy today versus what the available upgrade at purchase would've cost me. So 2k today for ~0.45 quicker, versus 11k at purchase for ~0.9 quicker. (and yes also track mode, but I don't have much use for that- hell I barely have use for the quicker acceleration otherwise I'd have paid the 11k :p)

Now for a NEW buyer today? Absolutely if they can get a P3D- for 2k more than an AWD (which we don't know will keep being true into 2020, and you've got to be willing to take whatever color/wheel package you find in inventory) they should do that instead of the 2k boost.

Haha, like I said - I wish I could rationalize it to myself that way, but alas I cannot. I base my thoughts on what current market value is (e.g. for a performance stealth), and current market value would not give me the same price today as when I purchased my car in September of 2018 (e.g. back when the performance model was $11K more, before the $5K refund they offered).

• Informative
Reactions: FHPTRIGGERMAN
Sorry, too many pages to go through in the thread.

So people that have gotten the boost, did you feel it was worth it?

I definitely am glad I did it, however, it wasn’t a night and day difference. Maybe night and dawn.

I’m in the same boat as @Knightshade where the P3D- was $11k more when I bought my car, which was too big of a stretch at the time, so $2k to get halfway there in 0-60 seems reasonable.

One thing I’ve noticed is that in the stoplight wars, it seems that other ICE cars don’t seem to want to challenge Teslas around here (SF Bay Area), so it’s tough to get a comparison to other vehicles.

I definitely am glad I did it, however, it wasn’t a night and day difference. Maybe night and dawn.

I’m in the same boat as @Knightshade where the P3D- was $11k more when I bought my car, which was too big of a stretch at the time, so $2k to get halfway there in 0-60 seems reasonable.

One thing I’ve noticed is that in the stoplight wars, it seems that other ICE cars don’t seem to want to challenge Teslas around here (SF Bay Area), so it’s tough to get a comparison to other vehicles.

Haha Night and dawn.... well said. P3D- was 2k when I got my car so paying for this for 2k feels wrong. For now anyway.

So bear in mind my drive is 95% highway- from house to highway is 1 lane each way, no stop lights.... from highway to work is (depending on route I take) maybe 1-3 stoplights 2 lanes each way.

So I rarely am on the field of battle.

That said- when I am- I've found it's almost 100% of the time relatively garbage cars (performance wise) that make any attempt at a race- like fartcan civics, hell today a Buick regal tried... When I pull up next to less hilariously performing cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, and most German sportish cars they usually don't try at all.

"Was it worth it ?"
I think most of this is about difference. LR AWD owners ( I am in that category) want to get down to P times. And some are willing to put down $2k to split the difference in half. P owner are "jealous" and want Ludicrous modes to shorten the difference to S100D.

The fact is that the default LR AWD is a CRAZY FAST CAR !!
Even the SR+ is..

I have not gotten the boost yet. Might/might not. Winter now anyway but hope I can keep on resisting. So far so good. The problem is that all it takes is one little weak moment..

If I may share my 2 cents.. I haven't upgraded yet just because I don't have the need to. It's not that I don't have 2K, but just didn't feel the need to upgrade so far. HOWEVER, the knowing of the fact that I have an option to upgrade in a minute is just absolutely great!! I even recently bought the Dragy to measure times, but still didn't feel the need to upgrade.. Honestly, I'm quite satisfied with current speed and I don't have anyone to impress, YET. But if I really had to race someone for bragging rights or all of a sudden I'm hungry for more speed, I can just simply upgrade. I'm just very grateful and thank Tesla for allowing me to have an option when I so choose to upgrade. :)

Decided to take the Boosted 3 out to the strip today because nice weather like this in the middle of winter on a Sunday with nothing else going on is somewhat of a rare treat. Plus my folks wanted to see me racing so they joined to watch and record. It was kind of neat because the Mustang GT ran a 12.2 which was pretty much what I was running several months ago before the Boost and the last 5% power increase.

Managed to break my previous best with an 11.81 at 119.27 mph.

And here's footage from the bleachers of the run:

Cheers.

View attachment 504695

119.27 is within a few tenths of the best trap speed of a P on Dragtimes.com (Fast Tesla Model-3s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com).

That’s movin!

Decided to take the Boosted 3 out to the strip today because nice weather like this in the middle of winter on a Sunday with nothing else going on is somewhat of a rare treat. Plus my folks wanted to see me racing so they joined to watch and record. It was kind of neat because the Mustang GT ran a 12.2 which was pretty much what I was running several months ago before the Boost and the last 5% power increase.

Managed to break my previous best with an 11.81 at 119.27 mph.

And here's footage from the bleachers of the run:

Cheers.

View attachment 504695
And there goes the old saying, "...there's no replacement for displacement..." Turns out there is! :D:eek:

...I have some good news for you today!

So here’s the question of the day. The market price of the acceleration quadrupled today, making $2k for 50% of the speed a relative bargain.

Do those of us on the fence pull the trigger now because that price may increase without warning? Or another possible scenario is the upgrade gets all the way to Performance specs for $8k, and early adopters get it automatically. Trying to find a scenario where it doesn’t make sense to buy now...