Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option standard for all LR Model Ys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating buying a Performance or LR Model Y. I'm leaning towards the LR and buying the boost.

Is the acceleration boost a standard option for all new LR Model Ys? I've seen articles about how it's not available on 4680 Model Ys. I live in Austin, so I am worried I would get a 4680 Model Y LR with no option to upgrade acceleration. Does anyone know for sure? TIA!

There is no 4680 LR (yet) so no fears on getting one by mistake.

The Texas built version is just called the Model Y AWD (no LR), and has 279 miles of range.
My MY LR was bulit in Austin, TX and it has 330 miles range. Not sure why you are saying the Austin built MYs have shorter range. Of course mine still has the old batteries, not the 4680s.

When I realized mine was built out of Ausin, I called Tesla to find out if I had the newr batteries, that's when they told me even the Y's coming out of Giga Texas are still using the old batteries.

Upvote 0
I'm debating buying a Performance or LR Model Y. I'm leaning towards the LR and buying the boost.

Is the acceleration boost a standard option for all new LR Model Ys? I've seen articles about how it's not available on 4680 Model Ys. I live in Austin, so I am worried I would get a 4680 Model Y LR with no option to upgrade acceleration. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm in the DFW region. In my opinion, for my specific region, I would be careful about the added stiffness of the Performance suspension/20 or 21 wheels, shorter sidewalls. The exposed aggregate surfaces of so many TX roadways become intolerably loud with stiffer tires, and the miles and miles of broken undulating concrete are a problem, as well.

I'm happy with my MYLR, boosted, MPP coilovers. My wife still finds the ride annoying.

Just my own thoughts!!!

Upvote 0
I just added the boost to see if I would keep it.. Wow what a difference. Lots have mentioned it only 2k price difference from the performance once the boost is added but I bought mine back before the price increases and the spread between the 2 was close to 10k....I'll drive for the 48 hours and then decide, but damn it's like a different car...

Reactions: laservet
Upvote 0
Bob2C: Careful. The "48 hours" started at the time that Tesla INITIATES the download. Mine took almost a full day to download (I have no idea why?) but the clock was ticking.

No matter, though. Once I dipped into the throttle, I knew I would buy it.

ENJOY!
Mine was instant even though I wasn’t on wifi. I checked the software screen and there it was listed under autopilot. The screen rebooted as well. But I love it.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Upvote 0
how much faster does it get with the boost option from a standard mylr ? 5 or 6 seconds less?
5 or 6 seconds less?!?

We're time traveling now!

Hint: without performance boost, it's already down to 4.7 seconds 0-60.

For anyone considering buying the performance boost and have NOT yet gotten (or ordered) a Model Y LR... maybe consider just going for the Performance model?

I mean, the current price difference is only 3k, which shrinks to 1k with PB.

trim: MYLR - MYLRPB - MYP
price: $55k - $57k - $58k
0-60mph secs: 4.7 - 4.2 - 3.5
top speed mph: 135 -135 - 155

No change in motor or brakes or anything else going with PB.

Supposedly better motors, brakes, suspension (at least lowered slightly), grippier tires, track mode in software... not sure what else.

If you've already bought a Model Y... then, this post is pretty much moot.

Upvote 0
5 or 6 seconds less?!?

We're time traveling now!

Hint: without performance boost, it's already down to 4.7 seconds 0-60.

For anyone considering buying the performance boost and have NOT yet gotten (or ordered) a Model Y LR... maybe consider just going for the Performance model?

I mean, the current price difference is only 3k, which shrinks to 1k with PB.

trim: MYLR - MYLRPB - MYP
price: $55k - $57k - $58k
0-60mph secs: 4.7 - 4.2 - 3.5
top speed mph: 135 -135 - 155

No change in motor or brakes or anything else going with PB.

Supposedly better motors, brakes, suspension (at least lowered slightly), grippier tires, track mode in software... not sure what else.

If you've already bought a Model Y... then, this post is pretty much moot.
Because...
  1. Avoid the range and ride penalty of the 21" wheels.
  2. Avoid staggered tires that are more expensive and cannot be rotated.
  3. Avoid the stiffer suspension.
  4. Brakes, who needs brakes?
  5. The MYLR with Acceleration Boost is actually a 4 second (or slightly under) 0-60 compared to MYP at about 3.6.
Tesla Inside Baseball: The LR is closer to the Performance acceleration than Tesla publishes because they include rollout in the MYLR but not the MYP. The MYLR is really a 4.5 second 0-60 car (Car and Driver tested at 4.4 seconds). With Acceleration Boost, the MYLR is at or just under 4-seconds.

Upvote 0
MYP comes with more stuff, including, wheels, breaks, matrix headlights, different motor.
When difference was $10k between MYLR and MYP Acceleration Boost made more sense.

So unless you need 7 seater, or hate lower suspension and 21 inch wheels I would take MYP.

Upvote 0
From a non-performance standpoint, I do agree on the first 4. But I see getting PB AB (since it's supposed to be Acceleration Boost) for performance, spirited, if not track experience. Those 4 also directly influence such a thing. To me, they go hand in hand.

For one, those C&D numbers come from an article about the 2020 model Y. Unless they did a bad copy & paste job. The P got better mpge and range than an LR? Was it different drivers for the testing? So, who knows what else might be an error.

I take things with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, who knows what else might be an error.

I take things with a grain of salt.
C&D is highly regarded for controlled, comparative tests. OTOH, Tesla is a chronic numbers fudger. The plaid is not a 1.99 car in a controlled, comparative test. The MYLR is not a 4.8 second car in a controlled, comparative test. The MYP might be a 3.5 second car, but the company with a reputation for consistency and accuracy got 3.6. Tesla is more the grain of salt numbers company.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
C&D is highly regarded for controlled, comparative tests. OTOH, Tesla is a chronic numbers fudger. The plaid is not a 1.99 car in a controlled, comparative test. The MYLR is not a 4.8 second car in a controlled, comparative test. The MYP might be a 3.5 second car, but the company with a reputation for consistency and accuracy got 3.6. Tesla is more the grain of salt numbers company.
Its true Tesla is such a company.

But I've seen enough articles from C&D to know that they mess up plenty too. As evidenced by that very article.

Upvote 0
ok still on the fence about the boost.. i have a 22 mylr i have the matrix headlight and read on here it has the same front bembo brakes just not painted or stickers the back are different there is a forum on here how to upgrade to the performance rear brakes.. when i bought my MYLR the price difference was over 10K for the MYP

Upvote 0
I went with MY LR 2023 with AB. I need the more compliant ride of the LR and the extra few miles of range don’t hurt either. Adding Acceleration Boost gives me a great middle ground. I won’t be tracking the car so this is just freeway on-ramp stuff and the occasional traffic light getaway and the AB upgrade is very noticeable. Anything faster is just wasted on me but this is all about optimizing ride quality, not saving money versus MYP.

Reactions: laservet
Upvote 0
Here in New Jersey we have an extra $2k incentive for electric vehicles that cost under $55k, so the difference for me is $6k (or $4k with Acceleration Boost). So I went with the LR model, and I’m using $3k of that extra money to get APEX forged wheels that weigh 19 lbs each. In the end, my car will probably be almost as fast as a performance model, but have a much better ride quality as well, which matters quite with the crappy NJ roads.

Reactions: zpaul
Upvote 0