Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost vs Third Party Hacks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I purchased the acceleration boost for my M3 LR and I'm happy with it and if you have the money to spend on it, I'd recommend it. However, I know there are third party boosts like BOOST 50 TO GHOST FOR TESLA MODEL 3/Y that offer similar functionality. However, I am not in it to get an acceleration boost that provides similar functionality to save a few dollars.

My understanding is the ingenext can add ~150 HP to M3 (not sure if it's compatible with 2022) and get the 0-60 from 4.4 to 3.2 instead of 4.4 to 3.7 when compared to the built-in acceleration boost. That being said, this just looks like they are exposing existing functionality and aren't doing anything explicitly to "tune" the performance.

So with that being stated, do we expect Tesla to simply adjust the acceleration boost or introduce an additional addon to get it from 3.7 to 3.2 and make the hack obsolete? My hunch is that they will. Thoughts?

All the ingenext module does is tell the car its a performance model, which is why it requires the 980 motor to work. Do I expect tesla to release an update that says "If you have this motor you can get to full P times, if you dont, you cant use this"? No, I dont.

Its my belief tesla would never expose themselves to "Why is my AWD model 3 different from John's AWD model 3 that he bought 2 years ago, and is supposed to be the same car?" discussions.

So, no, I dont expect them to make AWDs P speed, because they cant do all of them, and dont have something to increase the performance model 3 to.

That 980 motor was not installed for very long on LR AWD model 3s. I have a 2020 delivered in december 2019 and I do NOT have that 980 motor, for reference. I believe the more normal boost is equivalent to Tesla's, for cheaper and with more features, but with a risk that a software update causes trouble. You must wait until a software update is listed as good by Ingenext before you install it on your car.

Reactions: epictetusguy
I would think that they could possibly increase the speed across the board as they've done in the past. My thinking with buying boost is that they will eventually add track mode. Does ingenext also unlock track mode? Elon tweeted that we would be getting it for the LR +boost but when is the question?
I think Track mode would be a selling point for staying with Boost or going with a 3rd party that could unlock it.
The only risk you have with 3rd party is a Tesla patch. I don't know if you ever did that whole nonsense jailbreaking your phones but that gets old quick. Here you go new feature oops now they're gone until a new hole is found.

I would think that they could possibly increase the speed across the board as they've done in the past. My thinking with buying boost is that they will eventually add track mode. Does ingenext also unlock track mode? Elon tweeted that we would be getting it for the LR +boost but when is the question?
I think Track mode would be a selling point for staying with Boost or going with a 3rd party that could unlock it.
The only risk you have with 3rd party is a Tesla patch. I don't know if you ever did that whole nonsense jailbreaking your phones but that gets old quick. Here you go new feature oops now they're gone until a new hole is found.

Yeah, I have never been keen on adding 3rd party components to a vehicle that impact future updates or compatibility. The upgrade adjusts throttle sensitivity.

I don't believe anyone is able to add track mode to the cars. The boost module, or the bonus module, adds other nifty things with the locking, battery heating on demand and the likes. It looks nice. When Tesla did a patch that broke their module, they created the bonus module to bypass the patch. That's why from then on they asked that no one update before they test it first. They're (Ingenext) giving good service.
I decided to pay more to have peace of mind that everything would be covered under warranty by Tesla. I've modified cars before and paid to play. I'm over that now.

I always wondered if the acceleration boost was 2k. If Tesla would ever provide an add on to make it performance speed for an extra 1.5k. This would allow people to have performance speed without the spoiler, 21 inch wheels and pedals.

Although I know this is not possible, when I first ordered my car I wondered this. I needed a long range. My model Y is a a car I use for roars trips, work, fun. I liked the performance but didn’t want the wheels, shorter range. So if I had a choice to get smaller wheels, less of a range loss for 5k vs the 9k it was when I ordered then I’d be interested.

In the end; I’m really happy I went with Long Range. Looking to adding acceleration boost soon but just haven’t finalized it.

When we talk about 3rd party can OEM; I would NOT install 3rd party software if my car. Specially since the car runs based on its softwares direction. You void your phone, well it’s 1k, you learn and get another one. On a car however, it drives yourself, loved ones, friends. Not my risk level. someone mentioned it’s like jailbreaking your iPhone. I agree. A pain to deal with updates, patches, comparability, issues, etc.

Reactions: OliverM3
I always wondered if the acceleration boost was 2k. If Tesla would ever provide an add on to make it performance speed for an extra 1.5k. This would allow people to have performance speed without the spoiler, 21 inch wheels and pedals.

Although I know this is not possible, when I first ordered my car I wondered this. I needed a long range. My model Y is a a car I use for roars trips, work, fun. I liked the performance but didn’t want the wheels, shorter range. So if I had a choice to get smaller wheels, less of a range loss for 5k vs the 9k it was when I ordered then I’d be interested.

In the end; I’m really happy I went with Long Range. Looking to adding acceleration boost soon but just haven’t finalized it.

When we talk about 3rd party can OEM; I would NOT install 3rd party software if my car. Specially since the car runs based on its softwares direction. You void your phone, well it’s 1k, you learn and get another one. On a car however, it drives yourself, loved ones, friends. Not my risk level. someone mentioned it’s like jailbreaking your iPhone. I agree. A pain to deal with updates, patches, comparability, issues, etc.
Getting to Performance model capability requires the 980 rear motor, which most AWDs don't have. Regardless of 3rd party or Tesla.

I would NOT install 3rd party software if my car.
Nobody installs 3rd party software on a Tesla, it's near impossible with their code signing. The hacks involve a new piece of hardware, ruining software, that tricks the car into thinking it's a different configuration, causing Tesla's own higher performance software to run. Unplug that box, and the car goes back.

I am thinking of the tesla boost, but not a 3rd party, any warranty issues will be void by telsa and will blame the mod for any issue. they will know and will want any excuse not to spend cash and already wiggle out of issues like fogged lights, unpainted bolts whatever if they find a remap then drive bats and anything else will be blamed on unsupported messing of the firmware.

I think of the acceleration packages as more of a removal/resetting of a limit rather than actually providing the car with more performance. The performance is already built in and the car is insanely quick, but it is limited. Originally it’s limited in order to reduce wear or stress on components but then further testing allows them to shift these limits, and if they can collect another $2k in the process, well that’s just fine.

When I ordered my dual motor S 75, it had a published 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds. Then the 3 was to be released and Tesla offered to “uncork“ the dual motor S 75’s to reduce the time to 4.2 seconds. Presumably this was so the new cheaper 3s didn’t then outperform the S. That one was free. Anyway, the performance is there, it’s just that Tesla is allowing us to use much more of it.

For the limited increase in cost it was worth going with the Tesla option. While some of the bonus feature on ingenext look appealing, at the end it came down to warranty support and transferability. I am sure Tesla can tell is the Boost 50 module in there. They could remotely brick the car. I didn't want to wait with seeing if the latest version of Tesla software would cause issues or not.

I've done the boost to my Y and 3 and it works as advertised, and all you really get is just quicker 0-60 times. Which is pretty much all you get with the P version when it comes to acceleration. Above 60-70 mph they are all pretty much the same. If the ingenext model also add improved acceleration from let's say 70-110, I'd be a lot more interested in it. From what I've read it doesn't.

That sort of ties into what I don't like about any of the P models of the 3/Y. From a purely acceleration perspective, all you get is quicker 0-60 times. If you look at the acceleration at higher speeds, the P model have no real edge. So for the most part (with respect to acceleration), the P version is like a boosted version that is a bit more boosted. The better motor doesn't translate into significant acceleration improvements at higher speeds. The higher top speed is mostly academic as I drive on road all the time so rarely see triple digits anyway.

Reactions: 804son
It’s your car, you can do what you want with it. They cannot disable your car. What they can do is refuse to let you connect to their superchargers, they can void a warranty of any part they deem damaged by the attached device, presumably they could claim any motor, drive chain, or battery issues are due to equipment you added. Now, they could send you a software update that has an incompatibility with what you added so that might interfere with the car’s function, but that cannot be purposeful in order to brick the car. It’ll be hell to prove though. And if you could prove it, Tesla would have some liabilty.

I think you are wise to stick with the Tesla sold options.

Reactions: Jejunjm