Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2016 Model X P90DL is in shop right now for it's 3rd. Possibly 4th Half shaft depending on if other side is any good after a month of being replaced. They just seem unable to handle the massive instant torque. Right now it just seem they are running through current inventory before they start putting out some revised half shaft that can handle the power.

Also had them replaced on my 2016 Model S P90DL as they started doing it to on hard accelerate. They on the other hand last 20K before showing signs of it. Wasn't to bad either but I use my car at EV events to show prospective buyers. You can't have issue on a car your trying to convince someone to invest into.

It should get progressively worst with raising suspension too. If you want to get it to happen raise suspension level by level to see how bad yours is (Not saying go into High or very High as full accelerate on that level is not smart). Also shaft will get so bad to the point where they stop doing it. Yet just cause it not doing it anymore doesn't mean you are in the clear. Most likely the opposite.

Last edited:
Issue is still present on recent builds. My MX is less than a month old and it shudders pretty badly - depending on how high SAS is set. On very low, no shudder. Anything higher has a shudder.

Service tech knew exactly what it was... it was an imbalance and engineering is "working on a fix." The SC replaced the front half shafts and the issue is exactly the same. SC even had the half shafts in stock. Took them a little over a day to fix. Service tech made sure to mention that it wasn't a safety issue which I found interesting.

@FarmerDave

I didn't read the last 7 pages of posts, but I will say I had the same issue on a two month old car. They replaced some shaft (I can dig up the service report if required).

I find it still happens but to a much lesser degree. I also find it is more pronounced at higher suspension settings.

I am obviously keeping an eye on it an wouldn't be surprised to hear it get worse and need another replacement.

Sounds like no progres to resolution in over a year then

@FarmerDave

I didn't read the last 7 pages of posts, but I will say I had the same issue on a two month old car. They replaced some shaft (I can dig up the service report if required).

I find it still happens but to a much lesser degree. I also find it is more pronounced at higher suspension settings.

I am obviously keeping an eye on it an wouldn't be surprised to hear it get worse and need another replacement.

So glad this forum is explaining what I, too, have discovered with my S90d. Got it October 2016 and it currently has just short of 12000 miles. Started noticing it last winter and thought maybe wheels were slipping as they put sand on streets and I had put on snow tires. Just finished a 3,000+ road trip with regular tires and many fine roads. The shudder is real on hard acceleration...and worse when suspension is on higher settings. I'll bring this up with dealer soon and get it fixed. I hope Tesla will make a repair change that will last. Great car otherwise!!

Model S?

So glad this forum is explaining what I, too, have discovered with my S90d. Got it October 2016 and it currently has just short of 12000 miles. Started noticing it last winter and thought maybe wheels were slipping as they put sand on streets and I had put on snow tires. Just finished a 3,000+ road trip with regular tires and many fine roads. The shudder is real on hard acceleration...and worse when suspension is on higher settings. I'll bring this up with dealer soon and get it fixed. I hope Tesla will make a repair change that will last. Great car otherwise!!

Has anyone heard of a permanent fix yet for this acceleration shudder issue?

Mine have been replaced twice. Last time was about 4K miles ago. The shudder is just starting to come back.....again. It is still very faint but it's coming back like before. In another 6K miles or so it will be back to full strength if it if continues to get worse.

Unfortunately, the second replacement was supposedly with a revised cv/half shaft part that is thicker than the previous part.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan