Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actor Paul Walker Dead - Fiery Porsche Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CGT gas tank was probably intact. Normally they go up because an oil or fuel line's contents gets to the exhaust. That fire then lights the car on fire which burns very well. It is an all carbon composite car and the resin will burn unabated once lit.

Unless the fuel pump was still running, I doubt it was a gas fueled fire. Most of the fuel was the thin bodywork and the rear transmission/engine support.

The CGT gas tank was probably intact. Normally they go up because an oil or fuel line's contents gets to the exhaust. That fire then lights the car on fire which burns very well. It is an all carbon composite car and the resin will burn unabated once lit.

Unless the fuel pump was still running, I doubt it was a gas fueled fire. Most of the fuel was the thin bodywork and the rear transmission/engine support.

News reports are saying it was gasoline on the exhaust that led to fuel tank going up.

The pole they hit was right in the middle of the car, and the gas tank is immediately behind the two passenger seats. Probably the worst type of accident this car could have.

The "after" photos show that they basically knocked over the light pole, and drove over it. But the light and top part of the pole are not seen anymore. Perhaps the top part of the light pierced right into the fuel tank. It was basically like a big hook sticking out once it was knocked over.

pole1.jpg

I just read about it today and very shocked. I am equally shocked at the comments on the other sites and how people are actually making fun of this incident. Some people are sick. I wish the family strength to endure such a tragedy. God speed

You will meet many people like this on the internet. They're called trolls and often have no remorse for any kind of tragedy. They like to cause unnecessary havoc with people in comment sections and forums, so it's best if you just ignore them.
The "after" photos show that they basically knocked over the light pole, and drove over it. But the light and top part of the pole are not seen anymore. Perhaps the top part of the light pierced right into the fuel tank. It was basically like a big hook sticking out once it was knocked over.

View attachment 37418
It looks like someone whose lacking in photoshop skills.

It looks like someone whose lacking in photoshop skills.

May lack photoshop skills, his point gets across, but he surpasses investigative, research, logical and engineering skills of many out there who're professionals. I respect him and he always amazes me with every post.

Photoshop is WAY overrated anyways. Plus I'm sure he didn't use Photoshop.

just came back from the crash site :-[

still dont understand how exactly they crashed, looked up and down both roads, one has a sharp turn and the other is a long road up a hill with no sharp turn but after that its a straight away so the car must have lost control at a high speed

then

article-0-19C3F2ED00000578-485_634x450.jpg

now

FDC54A52-F06F-4DA4-90CF-D497073A1CE3_zpslchchr9n.jpg

the car was facing the other way so that would mean they were driving up the hill really fast, the car had to have lost control and been going fast because the road is wide open

F8C6262C-3467-4541-AE5D-064E600A2219_zpsna9cbpou.jpg

B02E1290-5522-47EF-BDDD-B1B1BE8D9BEF_zpszu70k9a3.jpg

B3A727E2-4DDE-4D65-A0F6-820A6A1015DE_zpsnexaqecj.jpg

209167DB-1075-4A8D-A65E-86700DC488B9_zpsqdbev2t4.jpg

me

ECB121D6-81FC-49DF-B667-546457B953CD_zpszequg8sp.jpg

So a friend just came by and said that he heard the car was going way over the speed limit. Last figure I heard was 45MPH (posted limit).

I'm guessing it is this article: http://mg.co.za/article/2014-01-04-unsafe-speed-key-factor-in-paul-walkers-death

Sheriff's investigators are working with Porsche officials and the California Highway Patrol to determine the speed more exactly. Three data recorders survived the crash and fire and may produce information to pinpoint the speed.

Oh come on, he didn't leave behind enough money?

Kristine Rodas filed the suit this week against Porsche Cars North America, citing negligence as the cause of death of her husband and the 40-year-old "Fast and the Furious" star on November 30 in Santa Clarita, California. Backed by celebrity attorney Mark Geragos, she is also suing for product liability and wrongful death.

Where's the personal responsibility? Oh that's right, they weren't speeding:

Geragos also hired investigators to evaluate wreckage at the scene, who determined that Rodas was driving 55 mph before the vehicle went out of control. This contradicts the Los Angeles County coroner's report that car was speeding at more than 100 mph, and the investigations by the Los Angeles County Sherriff's Office and California Highway Patrol that focused on speed.

Oh come on, he didn't leave behind enough money?

Are we sure her motive is money? I have no idea, not being a personal acquaintance. Trying to put myself in her shoes...being married to a thrill seeker and all that goes with that, I'd have to conclude that the possibility of an early death probably goes with the territory, and as an intelligent being with the means there should have been a rather large insurance policy in place.

Where's the personal responsibilityy? Oh that's right, they weren't speeding:

Big difference between 55 and 100, but I believe even at 55 that would have still been speeding. Again, trying to imagine myself in this situation...how would I feel if this was my husband, would I be motivated to sue, and if so, for what reason? If there really was a mechanical failure in the car would I want to be compensated for the life of my loved one? Would I want to protect others from meeting the same possible end? In light of the whole GM ignition issue (of which I own one of those cars), it's a possibility.

As someone who believes that personal responsibility is entirely becoming more and more a rare experience instead of the norm, I also know that I would be seriously p.o'd (like off the charts) if someone else/entity had even a smidgen of responsibility in my spouse's premature death. Look the heck out because I'm coming for you and not necessarily (and likely not) for the money, but to put you out of business. Perhaps that's what's going through her mind?

She is the wife of the driver anyway so likely the one who was speeding. It sounds like even the tires were the original ones from 2005 so were never refreshed on top of speeding. All very sad but probably tough to pin this on Porsche.

She is the wife of the driver anyway so likely the one who was speeding. It sounds like even the tires were the original ones from 2005 so were never refreshed on top of speeding. All very sad but probably tough to pin this on Porsche.

The problem with this sort of litigation is that Porsche has deep pockets. A jury is likely to say something like "Yeah, the driver is 90% responsible, but Porsche is 10% responsible because it still shouldn't have caught fire" and Porsche still ends up having to pay a fortune.

A good portion of the price that we pay for a car goes for product liability and future torts. I tried to find out how much it is, but was unable with a quick search. I have been told that for airplanes it is more than 1/2 of the cost of the plane.

The problem with this sort of litigation is that Porsche has deep pockets. A jury is likely to say something like "Yeah, the driver is 90% responsible, but Porsche is 10% responsible because it still shouldn't have caught fire" and Porsche still ends up having to pay a fortune.

In addition, there is also the "reasonableness" criteria. The question asked will be "Is it reasonable to suppose that if the car goes 100+ mph, someone will drive it at 100+ mph"? If the answer is yes, then there is liability. There is almost no such thing as individual responsibility anymore.