TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adelaide to Sydney?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mhh, Oct 6, 2015.

1. mhh

mhh Member

Anyone thought this one through? One day there will be superchargers everywhere but right now the need for ingenuity adds to the fun and challenge.

2. lennier

lennier Member

The Evoke crew (I think he's Heosat on here as well as twitter) recently did this in both directions via Melbourne. First part is blogged here: Tesla Model S Australia

Worth getting in touch with them for some tips I'd suggest, unless you were wanting to go the shortest possible route, not sure anyone has done that yet!

3. cdfleischmann

cdfleischmann Member

I was thinking of doing the same Melbourne to Adelaide trip... I have the e-station three phase charger with me, but unsure of the best path to Adelaide as of yet.

4. mhh

mhh Member

I was thinking direct. :)

5. lennier

lennier Member

I guess if you went via Wodonga and Echuca rather than Wagga Wagga and Hay you could at least get an extra supercharger in the route for only 10km extra distance. Beyond that though you're in the great unknown between Wodonga and Adelaide!

6. mhh

mhh Member

I'm now thinking of driving to Coonawarra just before Xmas, visiting the winery there with the destination charger, buy some wine, walk to the motel for the night and head off to Melbourne the next morning. Any kind owner along the route (say Ballarat) who might give me a few minutes on their charger to give me enough boost to get to the supercharger in Melbourne? I don't think I want to risk to go all the way on a single charge. Melbourne to Sydney is all good, right? The family is flying over but I'd like to have the Tesla for the fortnight we are there.

7. lennier

lennier Member

From plugshare.com there are owners in Bacchus Marsh and Woodend with chargers. Both possibly a bit far but might make it a bit more comfortable than trying directly for Melbourne.

8. paulp

paulp Member

You might want to do a test run through the adelaide hills and factor that into your calculations.

9. mhh

mhh Member

All sorted for the Melbourne leg with Raidis ready for me and Rob in Bacchus Marsh (from Plugshare - thanks lennier :) ) kindly agreeing to give me a top-up charge if needed. I'll stay at Crown Metropol so I start the trip north with a full battery.

10. Chuq

Chuq Member

#10 Chuq, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Hypothetical thought, longer term in a SC only trip:

Sydney-Adelaide direct - 14h08, 1375km

Assuming that the Melbourne-Adelaide leg will be done after Sydney-Brisbane:
    - Sydney-Adelaide via Melbourne - 16h30, 1605km - 16% longer

However if there was one additional charger at Bendigo
    - Sydney-Adelaide via Euroa-Bendigo-Horsham - 15h37, 1493km - only 8.5% longer.

It is 904km between Gundagai and Tailem Bend, so to cover the direct route would need approx 4 more SCs to be constructed.

11. mhh

mhh Member

It took me 2 and a half days and overnight stops in Penola and Wodonga, but I made it. :)

Attached Files: