Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adelaide to Sydney?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone thought this one through? One day there will be superchargers everywhere but right now the need for ingenuity adds to the fun and challenge.

The Evoke crew (I think he's Heosat on here as well as twitter) recently did this in both directions via Melbourne. First part is blogged here: Tesla Model S Australia

Worth getting in touch with them for some tips I'd suggest, unless you were wanting to go the shortest possible route, not sure anyone has done that yet!

The Evoke crew (I think he's Heosat on here as well as twitter) recently did this in both directions via Melbourne. First part is blogged here: Tesla Model S Australia

Worth getting in touch with them for some tips I'd suggest, unless you were wanting to go the shortest possible route, not sure anyone has done that yet!

I was thinking of doing the same Melbourne to Adelaide trip... I have the e-station three phase charger with me, but unsure of the best path to Adelaide as of yet.

I'm now thinking of driving to Coonawarra just before Xmas, visiting the winery there with the destination charger, buy some wine, walk to the motel for the night and head off to Melbourne the next morning. Any kind owner along the route (say Ballarat) who might give me a few minutes on their charger to give me enough boost to get to the supercharger in Melbourne? I don't think I want to risk to go all the way on a single charge. Melbourne to Sydney is all good, right? The family is flying over but I'd like to have the Tesla for the fortnight we are there.

I'm now thinking of driving to Coonawarra just before Xmas, visiting the winery there with the destination charger, buy some wine, walk to the motel for the night and head off to Melbourne the next morning. Any kind owner along the route (say Ballarat) who might give me a few minutes on their charger to give me enough boost to get to the supercharger in Melbourne? I don't think I want to risk to go all the way on a single charge. Melbourne to Sydney is all good, right? The family is flying over but I'd like to have the Tesla for the fortnight we are there.

From plugshare.com there are owners in Bacchus Marsh and Woodend with chargers. Both possibly a bit far but might make it a bit more comfortable than trying directly for Melbourne.

You might want to do a test run through the adelaide hills and factor that into your calculations.

All sorted for the Melbourne leg with Raidis ready for me and Rob in Bacchus Marsh (from Plugshare - thanks lennier :) ) kindly agreeing to give me a top-up charge if needed. I'll stay at Crown Metropol so I start the trip north with a full battery.

Hypothetical thought, longer term in a SC only trip:

Sydney-Adelaide direct - 14h08, 1375km

Assuming that the Melbourne-Adelaide leg will be done after Sydney-Brisbane:
- Sydney-Adelaide via Melbourne - 16h30, 1605km - 16% longer

However if there was one additional charger at Bendigo
- Sydney-Adelaide via Euroa-Bendigo-Horsham - 15h37, 1493km - only 8.5% longer.

It is 904km between Gundagai and Tailem Bend, so to cover the direct route would need approx 4 more SCs to be constructed.

Last edited:
It took me 2 and a half days and overnight stops in Penola and Wodonga, but I made it. :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 102
I just did ADL- SYD and return again. I stopped at Keith Motor Inn and topped up and stayed overnight at Horsham International Hotel. I could have then made it to Sydney on the supercharger network but I stayed at the Hyatt in Canberra (destination charger) to break up the trip.

The trip showed the Model S to be a very comfortable tourer but it needs more range to be competitive with comparably priced ICE cars if making quick progress is your aim. I test drove a P100D while in Sydney but decided to wait for a future bigger again battery version.

Reactions: RichardMcN
Hopefully there will be a new version with the gigafactory batteries around March, given a 30% increase over the 85 it should be at least 110kwh
I wonder if these batteries can/will be fitted into all existing cars with the change from 18650 to 2170. Hopefully 5mm in height will not make much of a difference because in a few years time it will be good to get a bigger battery pack and hopefully it doesn't end up being like the Roadster ('hand built batteries for V3 Roadster).

Looking at PlugShare there is a big gap in charging options in northern Victoria and southern NSW. There is an opportunity to link Adelaide to Sydney via Waikerie, Mildura, Balranald, Hay, Narrendra to Gundagai if only there were wallchargers in each of these towns.

It's more realistic to consider adding a supercharger in Bendigo. With the already approved SC's in Keith and Horsham, there's a fast supercharger route from Adelaide to Sydney within easy reach with less than 100 extra km compared to the most direct route. Adding an SC in Bendigo would also avoid the dire stop at Euroa for ADL-SYD trips.