Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And let's not forget a longer life with less cycle time, greater piece of mind with greater range for those with longer commutes or more frequent trips > 100 miles, and less time recharging on even longer trips. Remember, in this world, time = money too!

Far too many variables to just say $142/mile. I still don't see an upside to the aero wheels, unless you are getting the 40 kwh pack. Makes more sense then, but you still are on the downside given the cost of the wheels.

The Aero wheels provide ALL of the upsides mentioned in your first paragraph!

GSP

The Aero wheels provide ALL of the upsides mentioned in your first paragraph!

GSP

On an ideal level, you are precisely correct. You also pointed out some valid points in your previous post as well, which are very meaningful IMHO. I guess I phrased it incorrectly in trying to express my intent. If you choose the 85 kWh option, and you drive the average commute (40-60 mi/64-96 km) then the aero wheels may not really make any difference for you, as you will not realize the benefits of the longer range for the most part. You will have plenty of room to drive any way you like. For the longer commute, using a 40 kWh option, it makes all the sense in the world, for all the reasons you presented. Your $1500 will be better used. If you have lots of headroom in battery range, drive 60 miles/96 km a day and charge nightly, aero wheels will only cost you $1500 for the look, not really perform realistically for you.

If you need a 19" wheel, however, you'd be hard pressed to find a reason not to get the aero wheels, as there is more upside than down, regardless of which battery option you choose.

Personally, I don't think I will need the range from the Areo wheels in everyday use. However when going on a 400-700 mi/day road trip, the extra crusing speed and/or range will be well appricated I think. I suspect others will be in the same situation.

Compared to the 22" wheels the Aero wheels will come with the greater utility of all-season tires, instead of summer tires. Also, they will have more choices available for replacement tires.

Compared to the 19" wheels, the Aero wheels unfortunately mostly cover up Tesla's beautiful Ferrari-esque brake calibers. Maybe someone makes a transparent aero wheel cover....

GSP

If you need a 19" wheel, however, you'd be hard pressed to find a reason not to get the aero wheels, as there is more upside than down, regardless of which battery option you choose.
If you're a Signature holder downgrading, I agree with you. OTOH, if you're a Production guy like me, the $1,500 price tag is reason #1 to stay with the stock 19". Reason #2 is appearance -- I really liked the stock 19" in person, and as @GSP notes, the visible (and better-cooled) brake calibers are a nice styling touch. Reason #3 is cleaning; I'm not sure how we'll clean the brake dust accumulation on the aeros.

Much remains to be seen.

Sometimes just a few miles is the difference between you arriving and the buzzards arriving. At 03:00 in rural Saskatchewan in January you really, really don't want to be stranded. Life expectancy is about thirty minutes once the heater stops working.

Hahahaha...
Been there done that. We got lucky and ran on fumes into Swift Current when all the small towns along the way had no open gas stations in the middle of the night. Turned the heater in the car off and broke out the emergency thermal blankets.

I don't think people want to drill holes in their wheels for screws or Dzus fasteners. Maybe a snap fit system over the lug nuts, or special lug nuts with small threaded holes in the top, or threaded studs, that you could use to attach smooth covers.

Someone asked about posting the various range estimates from the tv app they have in stores ... I can't find which thread that was in, so I'll post here. I was at the Santanna Row store today and took note of these numbers:
19" wheels. Units in miles and MPH. 70F ambient, windows up, no HVAC.
65: 271
60: 295
55: 321

21" wheels
65: 266
60: 289
55: 314

Given the similarity at 55MPH it's not clear if the 19's were aero's or not.

Someone asked about posting the various range estimates from the tv app they have in stores ... I can't find which thread that was in, so I'll post here. I was at the Santanna Row store today and took note of these numbers:
19" wheels. Units in miles and MPH. 70F ambient, windows up, no HVAC.
65: 271
60: 295
55: 321

21" wheels
65: 266
60: 289
55: 314

Given the similarity at 55MPH it's not clear if the 19's were aero's or not.

So it would appear if you lose 15% of your range going from 55mph to 65mph then you would lose at least that much going from 65mph to 75mph. So it seems like the Model S is following the Roadster spreadsheet (30% penalty in range moving from 55 to 75 mph).

So, I thought the loss from going to 21" would be from aerodynamics. But then shouldn't the difference between 21" and 19" get bigger the faster you go? Here the difference shrinks in terms of miles and stays the same or even shrinks a little in percent terms. Of course maybe the application simply doesn't take that into account and gives an estimate based on a constant percentage.

So, I thought the loss from going to 21" would be from aerodynamics. But then shouldn't the difference between 21" and 19" get bigger the faster you go? Here the difference shrinks in terms of miles and stays the same or even shrinks a little in percent terms. Of course maybe the application simply doesn't take that into account and gives an estimate based on a constant percentage.

At the precision we have you can't tell the difference.
The range loss could be 14% higher at 65 compared to 55 and the rounding would wipe it out.