Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aftermarket opportunity? Certainly something better looking could be designed, for those who care. Anyone want to try an experiment? Some heat shrink out door window insulation film kit would create a clear aero cover and you could see if it makes any real difference. It would be a cheap test.

Aftermarket opportunity? Certainly something better looking could be designed, for those who care. Anyone want to try an experiment? Some heat shrink out door window insulation film kit would create a clear aero cover and you could see if it makes any real difference. It would be a cheap test.

Better understand the brake cooling requirements before you attempt this. Also you'd need two identical long-ish runs to test with and without.

I'd assume you'd pick a route that requires little braking, and regen would take care of most of it. Aero wheels aren't going to do much for stop and go driving.

Right. Aero wheels will only help on highway driving. The aero "beauty rings" on the Prius don't do much. People who take them off say they can't tell the difference. I haven't taken mine off because they help protect the wheel.

I was excited about the 5% ...

I recently put an extra 5 PSI (0.3 bar) in each tire and that seems to give me about 5% also. I personally don't feel a reduction in ride quality, although just to be sure I assume that breaking distance might have increased. If the extra 5 PSI is a general Good Idea, I would think manufacturers would increase the tire pressure themselves. In The Netherlands people pay less taxes for more fuel efficient cars, so there certainly is an incentive for manufacturers to increase tire pressure as this will most likely sell more cars.

Can someone educate me about the dangers of the extra 5 PSI?

Can someone educate me about the dangers of the extra 5 PSI?

The tire pressures on the vehicle placard are based on a set of assumptions plus the handling of the car. If the assumption don't match your conditions, then adjusting the pressure is correct:

The first two assumptions are always used:

Ambient temperature 65F (18 C). This is for the high of the day. If the temperature gets hotter than that you have to increase pressure. If the temperature is much lower, then inflation is typically done indoors with warmer air and you also have to adjust the pressure upwards. There are tables for this, but if the placard pressure is 35 psi and the high of the day is 100 F (35 C) then a 4 psi increase is in order.

A pressure check each driving day before driving (very slowly) for more than one mile (1.6 km). If you don't check the pressure daily and don't have your TPMS set to alert when the pressure goes down over one psi (by default TMPS are set for 25% less than the placard pressure) then you need to add a few psi to combat laziness. The idea is that you never ever want the pressure to go below the vehicle placard pressure for normal on-road driving (Note that track, rally, drag, and other sports use and/or driving on gravel roads are another matter entirely).

Speed: This varies by car. A typical assumption for family sedans is a maximum sustained speed of 65 mph. However, sports cars anticipate higher speeds and the placard pressure already takes care of this.

Load: Typically the loading is based on the way the engineers think the vehicle will normally be driven. This may not be the GVW (gross vehicle weight).

In addition the handling of the vehicle, particularly in an emergency situation, is taken into account.

A few rules:

1. Never exceed the maximum psi stated on the sidewall of the tire. Note that this is when the tire is cold. If it goes over while driving, that is fine.

2. After driving for an hour or two on the highway the tires should have reached thermal equilibrium. The pressure shouldn't be more than 8% to 10% higher than cold inflation pressure. The exception is if there is a large temperature change during the day, in which case 15% is okay. If it goes higher than that, then there is a problem that needs to be looked into.

3. Heat, not pressure, kills tires. Regardless of the pressure set cold, the tires will flex and inflate to about the same psi after a couple of hours of driving. The difference will be that the tire with low pressure will be far hotter and will wear more quickly. In the worse case it will affect the compounds used in the tire and they may de-bond.

4. Always use a good pressure gauge to check the tires. Don't rely on the tire store or filling station gauge. Get a good pressure guage such as 50406 or model 50404. Note that cheap digital gauges are no more accurate than cheap analogue (dial) gauges. A good digital gauge is about twice the price of a good analogue gauge.

Note that there is a lot of garbage about tire pressures out there and myths abound, some have been carried forward for over 50 years--a bit of common sense is in order.

So the wheels won't make launch, there is always the option of buying BMW's Aero wheels that are 19 inches.

Those aero wheels may not be as effective as the original ones Tesla planned to offer. The Tesla ones seem to be almost completely enclosed except for a few slits (kind of like the Civic Hybrid wheels). The BMW ones have pretty big openings.

My suggestion is when you change tires, buy a set of LRR ones to make up for the lack of aero wheels.

Last edited:
Those aero wheels may not be as effective as the original ones Tesla planned to offer. The Tesla ones seem to be almost completely enclosed except for a few slits (kind of like the Civic Hybrid wheels). The BMW ones have pretty big openings.

My suggestion is when you change tires, buy a set of LRR ones to make up for the lack of aero wheels.

Very true the BMW aero wheels are not as effective as the Tesla sourced ones, but it's better than nothing. Volvoe is producing one as well as michelin, it's only a matter of time before more companies get into it.

If those BMW wheels offer even a marginal efficiency improvement, I am very interested.
I would be very happy if Tesla offered a wheel that looked exactly like that one.

Better aerodynamics has absolutely no downside, it improves efficiency and range.
LRR tires have a downside, they have reduced traction, especially in the wet. No thanks.

Do they sell these without the BMW logo?
I wouldn't want to confuse anyone looking at a stunning Model S making them think it's an "ultimate driving machine"! :wink:

If someone, who's internet detective skills far outweigh mine :biggrin:, can find out who BMW sourced to make the wheels, maybe people interested can do a group buy (like they did for the roadster/ the particular part I can't think of off hand)!

Better aerodynamics has absolutely no downside, it improves efficiency and range.
LRR tires have a downside, they have reduced traction, especially in the wet. No thanks.

That is not correct for the latest generations of LRR tires. There is plenty of wet traction with Nokian WR-g2 and eNTRYE. Just the other day I went around a corner with the eNTRYEs entirely too fast in some rather heavy rain in the Prius and they worked just fine with 20,000 miles on them (7 mm tread remaining), they also provide really good rolling resistance numbers.

DATE__________ODO____INC_____AVG
--- Trip to NE starts here
01/07/12____128603____481____56.6 (4.2)
-- 13 F here
01/12/12____129042____438____52.7 (4.5)
01/15/12____129420____378____50.3 (4.7)
01/20/12____129094____481____56.2 (4.2)
--- Trip to NE ends here
01/31/12____130503____600____69.8 (3.4)
02/23/12____131050____546____69.4 (3.4)
03/07/12____131679____629____72.2 (3.3)
03/23/12____132319____638____71.3 (3.3)
04/12/12____132987____668____74.0 (3.2)
05/02/12____133647____659____74.3 (3.2)
05/18/12____134272____624____73.4 (3.2)

I haven't tried the Yokohama dB espec tires yet, but dollars to doughnuts they will have good wet traction as well.