Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mock up or the design studio fake spokes? Since they are different, which do you like better?

I meant the mock up... but now that I read this:

Hrmmm, hrmmm. The shiny plastic disk on the aeros doesn't do it for me. If the black shininess were replaced with matte anodized aluminum, I'd be on board.

I can't help but agree. Now that I see the shininess, I can't unsee it.

I think they might look good w/ the interior silver colored too maybe?

Aero wheel.JPG

It would be easy to do w/ contact paper/vinyl

ckessel is completely correct about his assertion that a 5% improvement in aerodynamics will equally affect ICE vehicles as well as electric. Heck it is true of human powered streamliners as well. The extra inefficiences of an ICE vehicle just mean that the $ savings for an ICE vehicle is even greater. And the fact that the operating costs of a human powered vehicle is measured in burritos generally means that aerodynamics improve a bikes potential speed but rarely affect operating costs.

Being familiar with the aerodynamics of record setting hpvs (human powered vehicles) means I have a higher tolerance for the appearance of aerodynamic vehicles. I like the aero rims.

@Duncan Never been a fan of those style of wheels, but somehow the aeros don't bother me much. I sorta like them. I still want the 21's, but wouldn't scoff @ the Aeros if I were stuck with em. I do prefer the version with the black in the spokes though.

@Duncan Never been a fan of those style of wheels, but somehow the aeros don't bother me much. I sorta like them. I still want the 21's, but wouldn't scoff @ the Aeros if I were stuck with em. I do prefer the version with the black in the spokes though.
I hear you. Either way it would be the choice I would go with. Aerodynamic improvement pay for themselves in this case.

btw - there is a much more senior member named Duncan and it is not a name prone to collision normally.

Aerodynamic improvement pay for themselves in this case.
Just out of curiosity, how do you figure that? Given the cost of electricity, particularly in WA, you won't save enough to make a big difference.

Let's be generous and say .10 per kwh and 85 kwh gets you 300 miles, so you get 3.52 miles per kwh with normal tires. Over 100,000 miles you'll use 28409 kwh. Gaining 5% efficiency means you save 1420 kwh or $142. The 19" aero rims cost $1500. You'd have to drive around 1 million miles to save enough on electricity costs to pay back the aero tires.

Or is there some other valuation I'm missing that would make the aero tires pay for themselves?