Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really disliked them the first time I saw them, but I think they sort of grow on you with time. The look better with some colors than others.

7% is a decent amount of range improvement. I just wish the did not "cheapen" the look of the car, especially since they cost $2500 extra.

The more I look at them, the less I like them. I was thinking of having a body shop color match the wheels to the car (I have brown), sort of like the old Mercedes wheel covers. But that doesn't look good either. I like the 5 spoke OEM wheels so much that I will just slow down two miles per hour and reap my 3% that way. Sorry Tesla. Hope you come up with another try later.

7? I think it's 3%.
For only 3% it's not worth the cost or the asthetic penalty for me.
There’s a post on that topic in this thread:

Why the 19 Aero Rims will Never Sell

Extending EPA range by 3% could easily extend real highway range by more. EPA range is city/highway combined. City range is meaningless. Real highway range is mostly about aerodynamics. Throwing out the city start/stop component could bump the boost from the aero wheels higher than 3%, lets say 4% or 5%. But that's still mostly at 55mph. At 80mph the aerodynamic component is much more important - at 80mph the difference might be 6% or 7%
Now you have a difference that matters. Only testing will tell. Testing at 80mph - the speed people really want to drive.

The purpose of the aerodynamic wheels isn't to save money - it is to save time. Better efficiency/more range means fewer stops, less time stopped on a long trip.
If you are going somewhere without superchargers it matters a lot.

I agree the price is steep and I don't like the way they look.

[Source: Why the 19 Aero Rims will Never Sell]

(Cross posting since there’s currently discussion in three separate places… :rolleyes: )

Quick and dirty Photophop of powder coated Areos. Maybe not on pearl, but maybe okay on other colors...

side_white_areo_powdercoat_copy.jpg
The following is about Tesla’s Aero wheels though:

Is it possible to remove the black (?) paint?

Otherwise, perhaps it’s possible to order them from the Italian (?) manufacturer (via Tesla) without the paint. Then one could give them an optional finish or perhaps leave them as is in aluminum. (Or are all aluminum wheels coated in something, even if they look unvarnished?)

Last edited:
(Cross posting since there’s currently discussion in three separate places… :rolleyes: )

The following is about Tesla’s Aero wheels though:

Is it possible to remove the black (?) paint?

Otherwise, perhaps it’s possible to order them from the Italian (?) manufacturer (via Tesla) without the paint. Then one could give them an optional finish or perhaps leave them as is in aluminum. (Or are all aluminum wheels coated in something, even if they look unvarnished?)

There are several threads about powder coating the standard rims for about $400-$500. I assume that can be done for the Aeros as well.

Saw the new aero wheels on a Tesla in the wild for the first time this weekend, on a new grey MS on the west side of Los Angeles. I really dislike the look in the various photos on this site, but I have to confess, they look much better in real life. Not my first choice, but definitely pretty darn cool.

Anyone good with Photoshop? I'm not, but I'm curious as to how those wheels would look with (body) color keyed "spokes" or background surfaces or maybe with the background painted black. That red one above might make a good one to experiment with.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going with this one. It would be cool if they had a snap on, totally aero wheel cover that would do the trick. That way you could use it on long highway trips where you need to squeeze out every mile.

On the Dutch forumpart there 's discussion going on about the energy consumption of the Model S, but so far no one has any clue what the difference is between the standard 19" and the Aero 19".
Is there already one who has tried this one? (snap ons) Whould love to know his/her experience.

Edit: found the pie-pan-solution.
Couldn't it be printed by 3D? That way a snap-on-system on the wheel covers can be aplied at the same time.

Last edited:
I agree the aero wheels aren't very attractive, but it sure would be nice to get just a tad more efficiency...not to mention having easier-to-clean wheels. So here's another try at minor mods:

aeros_by_yobigd20.jpg

Hmm. Nope, don't think that helps. Another:

aeros_by_yobigd20 - Copy.jpg

Still not gorgeous, but at least I think it's going in the right direction.