Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
used-2011-bentley-mulsanne-4drsdnsedan-8119-7219347-9-400.jpg

Here an other aeowheel

2011 Used Bentley Mulsanne4dr Sdn Sedan for Sale in Phoenix, AZ - porcelain metallic - SCBBB7ZH1BC015793 on ZIBE

I think in this vehicle it can save you a few gallons

used-2011-bentley-mulsanne-4drsdnsedan-8119-7219347-10-400.jpg

I shouldn't have viewed brian's post. Ah well, I'll only respond to say that if someone is seriously interested in the truth behind the calculations, find someone with a math or physics degree and ask them to explain the actual way it should be calculated.

Calling for me.. thanks.
Actually both calculations are correct so I will not repeat or discuss them. The conclusions drawn from them are misguided as long as they are based on a level set of circumstances. This is not the case for ICE vs EV. Not only cost of fuel must be taken into account but range/tank capacity and feasibility of "filling up". Each of these factors has a different practical and emotional value, thus everybody arrives at different conclusions.

In short:
  • improving efficiency has little value if fuel is cheap and filling up is easy
  • improving efficiency has extremely high value if the amount of fuel you can carry is limited/expensive and fueling up has a high penalty or is impossible. e.g. space craft

Last edited:
Aero wheels will not noticeably improve fuel economy on such an inefficient vehicle since >90% of its inefficiency does not have anything to do with aerodynamics.
Airplanes use gasoline (jet fuel) for power, yet aerodynamics is extremely important for them. Very low drag coefficients have been important in auto design for decades, which would suggest aerodynamics has favorable impacts there as well.

Somewhat on topic...
Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the bottom of the second column.

With the Aero wheels, does anyone suspect it will drop to 0.212? If so, the Model S slides to a tie for second place with those wheels.

Some stats on those top 2:
- EV1: top speed electronically limited to 80mph; 0-60 in 8s; range <= 140mi (different editions); 2 passengers
- Tatra T77A: top speed 93mph; 5 passengers

Airplanes use gasoline (jet fuel) for power, yet aerodynamics is extremely important for them. Very low drag coefficients have been important in auto design for decades, which would suggest aerodynamics has favorable impacts there as well.

The greatest loss of energy in airplanes is drag, so aerodynamics are very important. In the Bentley, the loss of energy due to the inefficient large-displacement ICE is much greater than the loss due to drag. Even though the improvement from aero wheels in the Bentley would be similar as in a more fuel-efficient vehicle if measured in units of energy saved per mile, this improvement would be negligible compared to the overall consumption per mile. In a more efficient vehicle, the ratio of improvement to overall consumption would be greater, thus more noticeable.

The Bellevue store got in a mock up of the aero wheel. They were expecting a real wheel, but instead got a 3 inch deep mockup - designed to be hung on the wall. I think they are going to send it back and get a real wheel instead.
I snapped a very crappy picture of it with my phone. Sorry, I wish I had a real camera with me:
wheel2.jpg

Thanks. Good to see a better picture at least than what's on the website. They don't look that bad I guess.

If there is a snap-on aero cover for the 21" wheels, that would help.

Last edited:
As long as we're talking tweaking aerodynamics, anyone think there might be an aftermarket for rear fender skirts? Ugly, yes, but would reduce drag. EV1 had them:

The EV1 had a narrow track in the rear so that the skirts could be flush and smooth. The Model S tires come right to the edge of the fender - so any skirt you made would need to bulge out.
I think you would have a hard time making something good that didn't cover up some existing sheet metal - and if that was the case - no way would I let them touch my car.

The first thing I noticed is that on the mock up the "spokes" are a solid silver. If you go to the design studio, on the aero wheels shown the interior of the spoke is also the dark steel color that is in between the spokes. You can see on the mock up where that dark steel color would go. I wonder if it is an error in the mock up. I prefer the design studio look over the mock up's looks.

Either way, I like the Tesla look over the Honda aero wheel.