Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After autopilot update, undecided about getting M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The overriding reason for me wanting a model 3 is to help with the hour long stop and go traffic using AP. As of the latest update, it seems like AP is pretty ineffective now. To cover their liability Tesla is now nagging AP into oblivion.

Without a useful AP that can relieve the work of maintaining basic traffic position at low speed without too much human intervention, I kind of lost the desire to get the model 3. Being electric is great but AP is the selling factor for me. What are your thoughts after the new update?

My thoughts are they will tweak it further. It's a work in progress and always has been. I don't doubt that AP will improve in the near future and they will fine-tune (reduce) the nagging. If you decide not to go for the car I reckon you'll end up regretting it once they've sorted that out.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Without a useful AP that can relieve the work of maintaining basic traffic position at low speed without too much human intervention, I kind of lost the desire to get the model 3. Being electric is great but AP is the selling factor for me. What are your thoughts after the new update?
Most people report that you can simply put the steering in comfort mode and place your hands on the steering wheel like you're supposed to already and the nagging goes away.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you think you can simply put your hands down and go to sleep?? ... because that's not how autopilot works bro.

They moved the bar a little lower, but if the ultimate goal is full self driving, as they make progress toward that end, it will benefit autopilot, and I am sure you will start to see the bar raising higher again, with less nag. It’s a work in progress. I would not make a decision of purchase or not based on a snapshot criteria of software that is constantly changing (improving for the best). Get the car!

Is it now nagging in bumper to bumper traffic? It used to not under sustained low speeds as such.

Even if it does, it’s still a relaxing experience in combating bumper to bumper traffic, and arguably AP’s coolest aspect especially for people in and around major cities.

Honestly, if the nags bug you in bumper to bumper, (if even the case) you’re probably staring at your cellphone too long. Gently lodging your knee against the wheel and nudging the nag away is my guilty trick.

Get the car!

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
The overriding reason for me wanting a model 3 is to help with the hour long stop and go traffic using AP. As of the latest update, it seems like AP is pretty ineffective now. To cover their liability Tesla is now nagging AP into oblivion.

You need to explain how you thought it would work "before" this latest update. Did you think you could simply get on the freeway and set autopilot and then take yours hands OFF the steering wheel until you get to your exit? If so, it has never worked that way. You were always supposed to keep your hands on the wheel and if not detected you would get the warning. The only difference now is you get the warning more frequent. If you are like most of us that keep at least 1 hand on the wheel (in my case lower part of the wheel) then you should never get the warning. I recommend you take a new test drive making sure you are on the latest firmware (even in a Model S) and see for your self how it works. Hopefully the Tesla Employee is able to explain how it works. And short of that there are many many youtube videos showing how this all works.

I guess what I'm looking for is a relaxed position, left elbow on the window sill with hand lightly covering the top steering wheel. Kind of what we do on long freeway drives. I drive a manual 3-series right now and it's a PITA in stop/go traffic. So no, not looking to go to sleep any time soon :).

With the current scrutiny they're under, I'm not totally convinced that the nagging will be more relaxed in the future. Even with full autonomy they will have to find a way around the radar lacking fidelity to reliably detect non-moving objects. They would have to incorporate new technology (using camera to distinguish non-moving objects in current lane?) or add eye-tracking capabilities to keep the nagging at bay.

I am nearly through another 1000 mile road trip and honestly the nag interval change barely makes any difference in how relaxing these drives are. Having to hold the wheel or move it slightly to clear a nag is still NOTHING compared to constantly having to make fine adjustments to steering and speed to deal with moderate freeway traffic and curvy interstates.

2018.21.9 required no safety interventions at all including going through mountain passes. Overall it’s another noticeable improvement to performance, not just a nag update.

I guess what I'm looking for is a relaxed position, left elbow on the window sill with hand lightly covering the top steering wheel. Kind of what we do on long freeway drives. I drive a manual 3-series right now and it's a PITA in stop/go traffic. So no, not looking to go to sleep any time soon :).

With the current scrutiny they're under, I'm not totally convinced that the nagging will be more relaxed in the future. Even with full autonomy they will have to find a way around the radar lacking fidelity to reliably detect non-moving objects. They would have to incorporate new technology (using camera to distinguish non-moving objects in current lane?) or add eye-tracking capabilities to keep the nagging at bay.
Stop worrying about the nagging, already! If you drive with one or two hands lightly resting on the steering wheel, as you are supposed to do, you will never get a nag. In my S, I find it most comfortable to rest left elbow on the door armrest and the right elbow on the center armrest with both thumbs hooked over the bottom of the steering wheel. It is quite restful, and if something unexpected should happen my reaction time will be minimal, since my hands are already on the wheel. Your favored position of arm on the window sill and hand resting on top of the wheel will no doubt give enough torque feedback to Autopilot to prevent any nags as well.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
The update is no real problem once you work out a good way to hold the wheel, as others have said.
On the positive side EAP is amazingly relaxing in stop and go freeway traffic. Its really where I trust EAP the most. At higher speeds it can be pretty scary around big trucks, walls or curves with walls. But you will be amazed at how much less fatigued you are after an hour of stop and go using EAP in comparison to just ACC, let alone full manual.

My God the hysteria.

When 1st world people with 1st world ordinary problems thinks it’s too much the hysteria has really jumped the shark.

My Model X when delivered had NO cruise control. I didn’t see 45mph highway autosteer for 3 months.

No point to nag on autosteer when Lance Armstrong can pass you on the highway.

Yeah, my Model X was inferior to my 1987 Nissan Maxika for vehicle autonomy.

AP evolves it didn’t just get extinct.

Leave BRITNE- err Autopilot alone!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MissyMcBee

Please don't get a Model 3 if Auto Pilot is the thing that is stopping you. <------ No Sarcasm

Go get a google car. Its autopilot is fantastic. <------Sarcasm.