Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After what serial # you get the latest and greatest hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

first post here as I am starting my research with the end goal being to join the Model S Owner's Club

I am looking at Tesla Model S inventory and I see a few options. However, nothing indicates if the model is build with the new facelift, or if it has the latest AP sensors or maybe the new battery technology etc.

As far as we know today, after what serial # you get the latest and greatest hardware? For example, is any model with serial # over 130000 uses the latest hardware available?

Note: I am talking about hardware, not software

Thanks

I assume you are looking at CPO inventory.

To answer your questions, it really depends on what HW you mean. The AP HW suite has been consistent since its introduction in fall 2014, so there are no "new" sensors. There is a lot of wishful talk about AP 2.0, but only Elon know when they might hit.

There is a bit more variation in batteries and drive units, but that is pretty straightforward to decipher--the thing to pay attention to is if the battery packs for the cars you are looking are are HW-limited or SW-limited--this will really only apply to newer cars since the SW-upgradable battery pack is a relatively new thing, so I am not sure if there are even any in CPO (have not looked).

Tesla has stated publicly that they make approximately 200 hardware changes a week to the car. So to get the "latest" hardware you have to get the "latest" car.

That said, as omarsultan pointed out, it all depends WHICH hardware you're talking about, most of those changes are extremely minor, a different bolt in the undercarriage somewhere, a slightly different weight of carpeting, or whatever. But those little things do add up, even without looking at the "big" things, you'll see that a 2016 car will have a better fit and finish than a 2012, even if they seem to be the same.

If you're just talking the "features" then Autopilot came out in late 2014 (about September or so) and although the hardware has changed slightly, the abilities are the same on all (and will continue to be, even with future software updates, as the changes so far haven't added any sensors or different processors)

All wheel drive was also introduced in late 2014, and rear wheel drive has come and gone many times since as an option.

Seats changed about that same time but there was a lot of overlap, the new seats hug the body a lot more.

Heated steering wheel was introduced at the end of 2014 in some markets, later in others (part of the cold weather package)

The new front front end design was introduced at the start of 2016, it's mostly a cosmetic change (better or worse is personal opinion) but I believe it also includes a switch to adaptive LED headlights which some people will want.

In summary, there's tons of stuff, it all depends what you personally care about.

Thanks for the replies.

@omarsultan : Actually, I was looking at new inventory, not CPO. But you can still find some cars from late 2015 being available as new cars (I guess not being registered yet)

@green1 : Good break down and good info. But here is a good example why I asked the question: You say "The new front front end design was introduced at the start of 2016...". Is it really the start of 2016 so any 2016 model car has the new front face? Or is it April of 2016 meaning that there are 2016 cars with both the old and the new front face? If it is the later, is there a specific serial # that you can say "any car with serial # greater than xyz, has the new front face"

I'm afraid I'm not the best one to ask that as I don't know the exact cut-over date or VIN, but on the bright side, it's hard to miss the new nose on the car, and despite Tesla's aversion to showing pictures of their inventory cars, they do show renderings of them which clearly show which nose they have.

I don't think Tesla has, or would publish a list of serial numbers ( you mean VIN ? ) citing specific hardware changes, but the thread about production and delivery would likely tell you when someone got a car with a new front end. I have the old one, and got my car February 26. I think the new front end, which also came around the Hepa air filter and LED headlights was on or about the beginning of April. I would be asking the same question as you, but the car is so much better than my old one, on so many levels, that I'm happy with what I do have and have a Model 3 deposit.

Traditionally, we have the new members dig through the old threads to compile lists of things that haven't been compiled yet. I already did mine, but, ahhhhhh, my dog ate it.

...but on the bright side, it's hard to miss the new nose on the car, and despite Tesla's aversion to showing pictures of their inventory cars, they do show renderings of them which clearly show which nose they have.

Actually this is exactly what prompted me to ask the question. Here is a car with one of the latest serials # in VIN available. It still shows the old nose...

Model S P90D 5YJSA1E47GF137746 | Tesla

Just to muddy the waters further, cars made prior to the AP announcement that had an option referred to as parking sensors were also upgradeable to AP cars. VIN range isn't exact, but *55000 is probably not too far off at which to expect AP. Which won't be of all that much use to the OP, since any seller with two or more brain cells is going to list AP as a feature of their 2014 (and younger) chariot if they have AP.

One lesson that's worth committing to memory is to check, double check, and triple check from the VIN, original sale paperwork/window sticker, and via a careful inspection of the car, perhaps with some of the forum (here as well as the tesla.com/forum Owner's Manual Companion) resources, to know exactly what you're getting. It's not simple. My car differed from that which I ordered six weeks prior, as did many that were manufactured at the end of a quarter or year or both. Those 20 (not 200) changes a week on the line can show up in interesting ways. None of this is inherently bad. It just is. And as such is something of which to be aware. There have been plenty of pleasant surprises.

That's 20 hardware changes per week, not 200. It is mentioned in the factory tour and Elon has mentioned it on twitter. If you do an internet search for "Elon 20 hardware changes" you'll find a bunch of references to it.

The model S refresh began with cars produced in April of 2016, at approximately VIN 138000. A friend of mine, @Btrflyl8e has one of the first cars produced with the refresh and her VIN is just over 138100.

Keep in mind VINs can be assigned weeks, or even months, in advance of actual production. My refresh S has VIN 1375xx - as order was placed prior to the refresh announcement (and VIN assigned), but produced after the refresh came out.

My X has VIN 109xx but still hasn't been produced as I pushed delivery to September (ordered & VIN assigned in first week of June). New orders have 16xxx VINs being assigned, and some cars with VINs over 11xxx have already been delivered. My 109xx car could very well be right behind a 13xxx vehicle in the production line and in front of a 8xxx vehicle.

With Teslas, actual production/delivery dates are much more relevant to your concern than VIN sequence.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
The model S refresh began with cars produced in April of 2016, at approximately VIN 138000. A friend of mine, @Btrflyl8e has one of the first cars produced with the refresh and her VIN is just over 138100.

Well I have as one of my fleet cars 1339XX and it's the new design P90DL. This car was one of the first ones complementary converted to the new design by Tesla. So no, the cutoff is not 138XXX :) But it's an EU car that we got in June.

Hello,

first post here as I am starting my research with the end goal being to join the Model S Owner's Club

I am looking at Tesla Model S inventory and I see a few options. However, nothing indicates if the model is build with the new facelift, or if it has the latest AP sensors or maybe the new battery technology etc.

As far as we know today, after what serial # you get the latest and greatest hardware? For example, is any model with serial # over 130000 uses the latest hardware available?

Note: I am talking about hardware, not software

Thanks
In the US, I think the VIN for refreshed is between 138000-139000, not 137000. My friend and I each ordered 3 days before the refresh. His VIN starts 139xxx and he received the refreshed S about 7 weeks later, at the beginning of June.

In May, Tesla did list about 30 refreshed cars for a couple days on their site. They were immediately visible as refreshed models when searching on TeslaInventory.com as there is a new option code which identifies them as being a refreshed S.

After the initial 30 or so, the numbers went down slightly and then they were all removed at once. I think they were probably the showroom models that were listed accidentally since almost all of them were red.

I'm sure once they clear out the older inventory models (some with discounts of nearly $30,000), you'll start seeing refreshed models listed at Tesla and TeslaInventory.com again.